PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Baby Bunny!

pamela lee
04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
My son is out mowing the lawn and almost ran over this baby bunny. I found the nest there is another baby in it but it is already dead. My son did not hit them the other baby was eat up by ants, this one is barely hanging on. It's very skinny and dehydrated. I have no idea how to save it.

pamela lee
04-11-2008, 11:32 AM
It has ant bites covering it. I have it on a heating pad and was able to get about half a cc of homemade pedialyte in him.

TexanSquirrel
04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
awww I wish I could help. Hopefully someone will be on soon...

Buddy'sMom
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

In case you hadn't seen these, there's lots of info from "the bunny people" :)

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9897
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10074

pamela lee
04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I read over those, Thanks. I don't think she'll make it. Right now she's still alive. She's so stiff, the only thing she can move is her nose and eyes. I thing she's been without her mom too long. I've never seen a critter this dehydrated. I've called all the vets around here cause I thing she needs sub Qed fluids. But I'm not a rehabber so I asked if they had numbers for rehabbers and they said not really. They gave me a 1800 for a place in Birmingham and it's been disconnected. I'll keep trying though.

FuzzyTail
04-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Bless you for being his hero!!!!:grouphug

By your photo..looks to be fully furred..about 22+ days old.
Old enough to be on its own, if healthy.

Warm first...
get a weight.
stimulate..just because...
remove any and all ants by hand.
brush bunny..with old toothbrush..
stimulates skin, increases surface circulation,

Get weight..stomach capacity of cotton tails is 10-25%!!!

Continue with rehydration

Off hand: 2-3mls of pedilyte every 3-4 hours for 12 hours...then offer 50% formula with 50% pedilyte for another 12 and see how it does.

Place bunny on white paper towels so you can monitor color of urine.
As it becomes rehydrated, urine will change from a dark color to a light yellow.

Keep bunny in a warm, quite dark place.

Stess killes these critters in a blink on an eye.

Once bunny is stable ( hydrated) offer grasses, etc from your yard.

Good luck!!!!!
It is hard saving these bunnies!!!!

I also suggest finding a rehabber to turn it over to.

FuzzyTail
04-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I read over those, Thanks. I don't think she'll make it. Right now she's still alive. She's so stiff, the only thing she can move is her nose and eyes. I thing she's been without her mom too long. I've never seen a critter this dehydrated. I've called all the vets around here cause I thing she needs sub Qed fluids. But I'm not a rehabber so I asked if they had numbers for rehabbers and they said not really. They gave me a 1800 for a place in Birmingham and it's been disconnected. I'll keep trying though.

Where are you in Alabama?

Also: you can rub Kyro syrup on her gums, will help with energy level..and get fluids into her!

You can sub-q if you have solution and syringes..
Otherwise, continue getting fluids into her as best as you can.
Keep her warm!!!

FuzzyTail
04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
GO HERE: (http://www.awrc.org/)

Alabama Wildlife Center

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww poor guy. He looks pretty bad. If he is stiff, chances are he isn't going to make it through the night. I am not sure what you should do about the ant bites. I would keep him warm and cozy and keep trying with the pedialyte. If he lives till morning, I would start him on 4:1 KMR in the morning. Does he have diarrhea?

pamela lee
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
She hasn't pottied at all. I tried making her go but I don't think there's anything to go yet. She does look bad. I just hurt so bad for her. I have some calls into some people Fuzzytail gave me the numbers for. Noones called back yet. We'll see. All I can do is try.

pamela lee
04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I found a vets office in Montgomery that said one of their nurses will take the baby bunny. I would love to raise it but they will have a better chance of saving this sweet little thing. She seems to be going a little better she moved around in the box a little. The nurse will call me when she gets off at 4:00, I'll keep hydrating untill then. Thanks for the help SR&BT and FuzzyTail.

Abacat
04-11-2008, 03:31 PM
:bow awesome job pamela lee! :alright.gif Way to go girl!
Maybe she'll keep you posted and you can keep us posted?
Good Luck lil :bunny, hang in there...:Love_Icon

FuzzyTail
04-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I found a vets office in Montgomery that said one of their nurses will take the baby bunny. I would love to raise it but they will have a better chance of saving this sweet little thing. She seems to be going a little better she moved around in the box a little. The nurse will call me when she gets off at 4:00, I'll keep hydrating untill then. Thanks for the help SR&BT and FuzzyTail.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super big hug for you Pamela Lee!!!!!!:grouphug

Maybe you will become a volunteer with a wildlife group someday...
Because 99% of us all started this way...helping one baby...and getting hooked!!!

Keep us posted!!!!!!

Bless You!!!!!!!!:thumbsup
You ARE some BUNNYS Hero!!!!!!!:multi :wott :wahoo :Love_Icon

pamela lee
04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Just dropped HOPE off at her new Mommies house. She's a wonderful person who rescues pet bunnies from shelters, has them spayed and neutured and socializes them and rehomes them. She also has 2 possies, 1 dove and another cottontail bunny she's rehabbing. My family was kinda upset 'cause they know how much I would have LOVED to raise HOPE but I told them that my desire to keep her was far out weighed by my desire for her to have the best care. I was not sure I could keep her alive and atleast now she'll have a fighting chance. So please say a little prayer for her, she's had a rough start but maybe the end result will be wonderful.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I hope she does well with the rehabber. Good job thinking of her needs over what you wanted :thumbsup .

LynninIN
04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Just dropped HOPE off at her new Mommies house. She's a wonderful person who rescues pet bunnies from shelters, has them spayed and neutured and socializes them and rehomes them. She also has 2 possies, 1 dove and another cottontail bunny she's rehabbing. My family was kinda upset 'cause they know how much I would have LOVED to raise HOPE but I told them that my desire to keep her was far out weighed by my desire for her to have the best care. I was not sure I could keep her alive and atleast now she'll have a fighting chance. So please say a little prayer for her, she's had a rough start but maybe the end result will be wonderful.
:Love_Icon :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :Love_Icon

TexanSquirrel
04-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I hope she does well.:grouphug

thundersquirrel
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
here's hoping. :grouphug :Love_Icon