PDA

View Full Version : bloated + pneumonia !!!

crossmyheart224
04-08-2008, 02:04 PM
:dono help please!!

A week ago i came across some orphaned squirrels, one boy and one girl. they are both still pretty small, their eyes are still closed and they have a little bit of hair. They have been doing well up until last night when the boy, Francis, suddenly began looking very bloated.

Since then i've tried everything i can think of- belly massages, warm baths, etc. Nothing is making him go!!

This morning he began exhibiting the signs of pneumonia- rattling sounds, labored breath, a "clicking sound" when he breathes, stuffy nose. I have some baytril- is this an acceptable antibiotic? I hope so because the vet won't give me any other medicines due to the fact that i'm not licensed to care for these animals.

It's so strange that he's suddenly ill, he had been very healthy until now. Great appetite, very strong, much larger than his little sister.... I dont know what happened!

Any suggestions anyone?! I need help!!

island rehabber
04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Baytril is great -- can you PM (private message) me with your phone number? I'll call you asap....

NaturesGift
04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
can you tell us what you have been feeding the babies? also are they on a heating pad.

*hugs* help is on the way.

NaturesGift
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
yep IR is here!:thumbsup

atlantasquirrelgirl
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
If you can find a rehabber, it would be the little one's best chance to make it.

island rehabber
04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks ASG! If we can stabilize this poor little one, then get him to a rehabber.....:thumbsup

crossmyheart224
04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
i've been feeding them esbilac formula

they've been on a heating pad on a low setting since i got them

island rehabber
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I just spoke with crossmyheart224 and she has the dosage for the type of Baytril on hand....please say prayers and cross your fingers for this little boy. In the meantime I'm encouraging her to turn him over to a rehabber if we can find one in her area, as the baby is already in distress and time is of the essence here.

susanw
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed and saying prayers for these little ones!

thundersquirrel
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
IR- i assume you went over all the usual information?

crossmyheart, please keep us updated! we only want to help! :grouphug :Love_Icon

crossmyheart224
04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
:) thanks everyone for your help. Little Francis is taking Baytril now and I'll be sure to make updates on his health. Hopefully he'll be getting better!

Abacat
04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
:Welcome to TSB
Just wanted to stop in and say I'm sending prayers for Francis. :grouphug
Please keep us updated...:thumbsup Bless you for caring...:grouphug

crossmyheart224
04-09-2008, 08:27 AM
good news! when I got up early this morning around 2:30 to feed the babies, Francis was looking MUCH better. His stomach bloat finally went down and he was no longer laboring for breath. His nose is all cleared out and he can breath through it again. It seems like he's going to be fine as long as we continue with the Baytril.

:wahoo

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
04-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Once again Thank God, and thankful also you had Baytril on hand.....That medication is wonderful!!
I am so happy for you, great job!! Kisses to the baby!:Love_Icon

island rehabber
04-09-2008, 08:44 AM
:thumbsupGreat news, crossmyheart224.....keep up the good work, and PLEASE get yourself a 1cc and a 3cc syringe. Those little bottles are cute and easily purchased but we get so many squirrels aspirating with them......here's a great site and she ships immediately: http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1434