Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOTAL FOOD CONSUMPTION in a day .

Default TOTAL FOOD CONSUMPTION in a day .

I'm a little confused as to how much a squirrel should eat in a full day....Widget is still on formula but I want to know what an adult squirrel would eat in a day... can someone tell me how much of each item u serve .or take a pic please...

Default Re: TOTAL FOOD CONSUMPTION in a day .

These are the sizes and what I fed. I was a first time nubie, so we’ll see what what others say. But I offer this for your review. Obviously I fed a variety per the squirrel nutrition chart

Note, my one squirrel stayed on a dish of formula even with the below items. It drank about 2-8 TSP of formula a day until it was released, I called it a milkshake, I always added raw milk plain yogurt and cream to the formula.

Most people probably put all the food in a one time, but I had two girls, one who would not eat right away, and one who would eat all that the other did not eat right away. So since I worked from home, I had the time to give them many meals throughout the day so I could see who ate what. I did not want to end up with one very fat, and one very skinny squirrel. This was my schedule; exact times varied by the season.

1. First thing in the morning: 2 block

Block each was given - 2 Henry’s Healthy Block. The sizes always varied, this drove me crazy until I let it be. Block was either 1/4 inch square, or 1/2 inch square. Since it always changed in size, they got more or less of the block each day, but it always evened out. They did not always eat both block, many times they did. Often if I left it there, someone ate it.

2. Mid morning: Vegetables. 1 lettuce and 1-2 fun veggies

Each got two small squirrel size pieces of lettuce (their favorites were radicchio and chicory and endive) pieces were about 1 inch square at the most, if I gave more, it just rotted. Each also got one or two fun veggies, broccoli, pea pods, squash, sweet potato, or wild yard greens etc. I learned that they did not eat much broccoli, and so if it was a veggie that they would not eat much of, they got a smaller sized piece, like 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. If they liked it they got up to an inch sized piece. This was just to not have a lot of waste. With pea pods, I would give about 6 each, because they loved them so, and I did not give them every day. Basic rule of thumb, if they eat it all, offer more, if they waste it, offer less. That is how I came upon these basic sizes for myself over a season of raising them.

3. Late morning: Offered more block if they wanted it. If they did not eat it, I took it back with me so as not to waste it. It was 50/50 whether they would eat more block or not.

4. Formula milkshake in dish for the one squirrel who loved it.

5. Early evening: 2 pieces of fruit.

If it was a small as a blueberry, each got a whole blueberry. If a grape, they got the whole grape. If it was a cherry, each got only half a cherry. If a banana, they each got a piece about the size of half a cherry. If an apple, just a chunk the size of a grape. If a strawberry, they got 1/4 section with green top still on, gave them something to tear off :-) If an orange slice, I cut the slice in half, and each got half. They had their preferences, sometimes they would eat one fruit and not the second, that was because of type of fruit offered, not that they were full.

6. Evening: 2 nuts

This started with plain nuts because they could not crack shell nuts, later they got shell nuts which they both learned to crack, and “stash”!! :-0 So for a while, I would give just shelled nuts, but they would still stash the almonds.

7. Bedtime snack

This was maybe my addiction, I just couldn’t help myself. Before bedtime, they would get a snack either avocado or coconut. 1/2 inch, to 3/4 inch, to 1 inch, never any more than that. They would eat it, hang out as the sun went down, and they go into their nest box.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Emssiee (10-01-2016), Mennome (09-28-2016), Sir Rodney (10-22-2019)

that' was EXACTLY what I needed .. thank u . .. that helps put things into perspective ..anyone else wanna chime in on whats for dinner on their menu ? . please do. curious to see how different or similar everyones menu is .

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HerdofHopperz from:

Lighten-Up (09-28-2016)

I always start my adult squirrels out with their HHB,
    quality squirrel block first thing in the morning.

Then they all get a variety of fresh vegetables, based
    on individual likes, with limited fruits & yogurt.

I feed on a schedule of: BREAKFAST - LUNCH - DINNER

* I give 2 nuts with their dinner meal.

What an excellent thread! This information is really helpful.

Here's what I'm doing (feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm doing it all wrong):

(Neither one will take the nipple anymore but they will drink it out of the bowl.)

Morning:

1 hhb each cut into smaller pieces so if they want to stash they'll still eat the other pieces. Also, Kaytee rodent block pieces. ((believe it or not, that's what I started with and what they eat first))

Then salad plate: dime sized pieces of two of each thing: broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom, squash (if I have some), brussel sprout, and torn up spring mix on top. One blueberry each and something from outside: piece of tomato from garden, dandelion leaves, clover or sorrel.
    They also get a piece of approved tree for playing/tearing up.

Late Afternoon
    : same minus the outside stuff.

Evening: Bowl of milk for overnight if they want it (and they usually do).

Twice a day I use a piece of almond to as a reward for getting back in the cage.

I'm still trying to figure out what they will eat so I am often left with a lot of uneaten stuff by the next feeding. (I count block pieces so I can be sure they are eating them.) I also figured out that when feeding food morning and night that they weren't eating the second meal because they went to bed when it got dark. Offering it late afternoon worked better.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Emssiee (10-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what they will eat so I am often left with a lot of uneaten stuff by the next feeding. (I count block pieces so I can be sure they are eating them.) I also figured out that when feeding food morning and night that they weren't eating the second meal because they went to bed when it got dark. Offering it late afternoon worked better.
    Always make sure the last meal of the day is offered one
    hour before dark so they can eat before they go to bed.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

cava (09-29-2016)

I have read on other threads that mushrooms should be fed very sparingly. Opinions ?? I have also read that sunflower seeds have no nutritional value in them for squirrels, any opinions ?? And I also have a question as to how good are bananas for squirrels? I use Henry's blocks. But I do use the lab blocks(powered) to make my pumpkin oatmeal for the squirrels.

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Squirrels can eat mushrooms. The wild squirrels in my backyard like to eat the mushrooms that come up in my mulch. Sunflower seeds are a great source of saturated fat, iron, vitamin B-6 and magnesium. Sunflower seeds are very tasty and squirrels will choose them over other healthier foods (their rodent block), so they can only be used as a treat for indoor squirrels after they have eaten their rodent block. Outdoor wild squirrels really need sunflower seeds (and other seeds) for the saturated fat. Fruit is healthy for them in small amounts. A small amount is the size of a quarter to half dollar/day for an adult squirrel. Squirrels will develop diarrhea if they eat an excessive amounts of fruits and vegetables. Fruit may need to be peeled for younger squirrels. I read on this forum to not feed avocado peels to squirrels.

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Peanuts are not really nuts, but legumes. They are not the best choice of food for squirrels.

Name:  20161010_204113.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  767.2 KB

Percy gets a 3 HHBs in the morning (he's half German shepherd so he's bigger than normal squirrels). And then gets a giant salad. This week is romaine, dandelion greens, Brussel sprouts, winter squash, snap peas, grape tomatoes, Papaya and watermelon. Then he gets a smaller salad, mostly lettuce at night. But I wonder about him going to bed hungry. Should I give 2 HHBs in the morning and then one at night with his second salad?

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Wow.....he eats all that? One of those containers each day? He is part German Shepherd! Is he a fox squirrel? What do you think he weighs?

I just leave rodent blocks sitting in my squirrels' food bowls. If they don't eat them before the next cage cleaning, I throw them out.

Quote Originally Posted by synisterkat View Post
    Name:  20161010_204113.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  767.2 KB
    Should I give 2 HHBs in the morning and then one at night with his second salad?
    Since HHB's are expensive, I give two in the morning, and then later, I bring another HHB in with their food. If they choose it and eat it great, if they don't eat it right away, I put it back in the jar I keep them in. That way they get a choice, but I'm not throwing them out every day more than I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSquirrelMom View Post
    Squirrels can eat mushrooms. The wild squirrels in my backyard like to eat the mushrooms that come up in my mulch.
    I grew ****ake Mushrooms once on oak logs for myself, that was fine until the squirrels discovered what they were!

OMG, hilarious, I hit preview and saw that the name of my mushroom can't be written... Okay, let me try it this way.... Sh-it-ake Mushroom, there we go.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    I grew ****ake Mushrooms once on oak logs for myself, that was fine until the squirrels discovered what they were!

OMG, hilarious, I hit preview and saw that the name of my mushroom can't be written... Okay, let me try it this way.... Sh-it-ake Mushroom, there we go.
    Woah, I didn't know you could grow your own mushrooms like that!! How'd you do it?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

Quote Originally Posted by DaSquirrelMom View Post
    Wow.....he eats all that? One of those containers each day? He is part German Shepherd! Is he a fox squirrel? What do you think he weighs?

I just leave rodent blocks sitting in my squirrels' food bowls. If they don't eat them before the next cage cleaning, I throw them out.
    He's a grey squirrel. Last I weighed him he's was about 750 grams. He has probably gotten a little bigger since then. Little oinker loves his veggies!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to synisterkat from:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    Woah, I didn't know you could grow your own mushrooms like that!! How'd you do it?

I was given already seeded logs, so all I had to do was put them in a shady place that got rainfall and I harvested mushrooms for several years until they got too old to produce.

I'm looking into this, just haven't yet done it. Take 4-5 inch diameter oak logs 5 feet long, or whatever. Drill holes in them and put in mushroom spawn. The mushroom grows out of the plug hole, and feeds on the oak log.

There are a lot more details, like what time of year to harvest the oak logs for best production, what size hole to drill and how to apply the mushroom stuff. Look it up online how to grow your own sh-i-take mushrooms.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Quote Originally Posted by synisterkat View Post
    He's a grey squirrel. Last I weighed him he's was about 750 grams. He has probably gotten a little bigger since then. Little oinker loves his veggies!
    Amazing he loves his veggies. Too often you hear of grey squirrels not too excited about veggies. That's great to hear!

OK now I am confused, so can someone please help me out? It is said that the squirrels (Greys) need a variety of veggies and fruits which I agree. One day they like some thing and the next not. And I have seen long list for both. But then it is said that if squirrels have to much of veggies or fruit they can get diarrhea. When I feed mine and give them a variety, more veggie than fruit, they end up with a bowl full.
    Also I have a question on iceberg lettuce, I was told that it was a empty food. And I also read on the Healthy diet for pet squirrels chart, not to use bagged potting soil. Does anyone know the reason to this?
    Thanks to everyone. There is a "wealth of knowledge" here

pstokes Guest

I must be a bad mommy. Nutz gets a lot of whatever he wants. He's very picky, he makes salad with me in the morning for my husbands afternoon meal, and pretty much eats whatever of that he wants. Plus, he only eats pecans, even though he gets other things offered. ( for his nut ). I also have fresh hickory and walnut trees here, so I have a huge jar of them and he just helps himself. I find that he self regulates, and hides them in a lot of places all over the house!! Then he sleeps in his favorite hoodie that he confiscated in the coat closet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast