Thread: This might sound like a stupid Question

Hybrid View

My_Baby_Skittles Guest

Red face This might sound like a stupid Question

Remember I'm a first time squirrel mom! LoL
    Where do you find them at? Like I know they are on the ground. But I am a really big outdoors person and I have never found one. The one I have now was given to me by a friend who found it in his barn. I would love to nurse another one but where are they?

Default Re: This might sound like a stupid Question

I have never found any either! Would love to know more about the one you have, and we love pictures!

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by My_Baby_Skittles
    Remember I'm a first time squirrel mom! LoL
    Where do you find them at? Like I know they are on the ground. But I am a really big outdoors person and I have never found one. The one I have now was given to me by a friend who found it in his barn. I would love to nurse another one but where are they?
    It usually..after a storm...OR...if some one has cut down a tree..and Mom either got killed or SHE is in the middle of moving them..Some one may find one..
    It''s usually..good to wait (from a distance.)...watching.....making sure..nothing can get at the baby..while..MOM.......will if she is still alive..COME BACK.to get her baby..

Id say..if..by the end of the day.(DUSK)....if she hasnt come back to get the baby..TO THEN pick it up..and tend to it's needs..step by step...
    They are..so well camo'd..with their colors..it is very hard to see them..
    FTN

TexanSquirrel Guest

Yeah, gotta give mom a chance to come back or you'll be guilty of squirrel-napping!

My_Baby_Skittles Guest

Oh wow so they are not like birds and just leave them? They are so amazing!

my mom and i are part of an organization that allows for maximum squirrel rescue.

each animal (squirrel, raccoon, possom, deer, etc) has a beeper. when someone finds a squirrel, they call our beeper number and leave a message. the rehabber with the beeper at the time (we take turns monitoring calls) will listen to the message and call around to see who can retrieve the squirrel from the citizen. they're like our connection to the public.

people find them all over. moms die, storms happen, babies get frisky and leave the nest and get picked up by a cat.....that sort of stuff.

i must admit, though, i look around all over campus for baby squirrels. i just watch the ground when i can while i'm riding my bike. i've never seen any.....although earlier tonight i almost ran over a bunny! thank goodness my breaks are so great.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    i must admit, though, i look around all over campus for baby squirrels. i just watch the ground when i can while i'm riding my bike. i've never seen any.....
    Same here, TS...the only squirrel I ever actually found on my own was the very first one who got me into all this.....found him flat out in front of the pizza parlor. Since then, people bring me squirrels but I've never found another, and I walk everywhere! Maybe God has separate lists of the Finders and the Minders, LOL.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by My_Baby_Skittles
    Oh wow so they are not like birds and just leave them? They are so amazing!
    Squirrels moms are amazing. They will always come back to get their babies if they aren't injuried. Squirrels build more than one nest so they have back up and will move the babies if they are in danger or something happens to the first one. Check out this thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...hlight=reunion

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.