Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a squirrel or a rat?

Default Re: Do I have a squirrel or a rat?

i gotta tell you, i had three pet rats and they were WONDERFUL. just think of how close this little one will be with you if you raise her! (i do believe it's a girl, btw).

the thing is, i'm not sure baby rats drink esbilac. you'll need to do some research to make sure your baby gets the proper nutrition, and you need a reliable source. i suggest you find a forum like this one that offers many experienced opinions on rat care- a checks and balances system is best!
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

The nutrituinal requirements for rats are closer to humans than dogs or cats..That is why human baby soy formula is recommended....Since she is older than a week you can mix the formula into some baby cereal kind of like creamed soups...offer it on the tip of your finger and she should lick it off, but continue the regular feedings...Baby rats at a week old begin to get hair, so since your rat has hair on her body she is more closer to 2 weeks old....
    I know what I am talking about...I raised rats for the past 7 years....and I will tell you espilac or cat replacemnet milk is not recommended...In an emeregency situation it is better than nothing but please put your baby on human baby soy formula, powdered form...follow the directions on the can for mixing but you don't need to be exact....

If your rat's eyes are open then it is 2 weeks old, if they are still closed she is 1 but closer to 2 weeks...

When the eyes open you can feed her rodent block soaked in the soy formula and offer it to her, but she will still need feedings, but not night feedings anymore...

By 3 weeks old she should be eating mostly solids but she will still need the formula

At 4 weeks old you can begin the weaning process.....At that time I will list for you foods to feed and foods not to feed.....Dispite what people believe, corn is really not good for rat...Dried corn can contain high levels of fungal contaminates which is proven to cause liver cancer in rats....corn of any kind also contain high levels of both nitrates and amines which is bad for their stomach....No lettuce...
    diet besides rodent block.....peas, frozen are good, most all vegitables and fruits....no cheeses, no chocolates.........but we can cover this later.......
    Good Luck....if you have any questions you can pm me......

Abacat Guest

Aaaah A baby Rattie... I don't have rats but I have mice... If you do choose to keep the baby it will need companionship as they are very social...Please read http://www.ratfanclub.org/single.html

Anyway, just wanted to say and congrats on the squirrels and the baby rat.

I also have had 3 rats as pets.....Wonderful pets! Muffinsquirrel is right....just a tree rat without the fuzzy tail! And they don't get the aggression that squirrels can get as they get older.
    If you love something set it free.......
    www.thelaughingraccoon.blogspot.com

Ordubismom:

I have the solution for fallling in love your your new baby ratkis.........

All you have to do is watch the movie "Ratatouille".

You will love the little furry creature instantly!

It does look like a rat to me.

I have owned a precious rat named COCO & they are awesome!!! Coco would come out of his house when I was getting ready in the morning & would run to me - roll over on her back so I could tickle her tummy!!! They are great!!! They do not pee or poop on you & they are so much fun!!! She knew her name & would come when called.

In my opinion a lot smarter than any other small rodent such as a hamster or guinea pig - but that is my opinion.

I wish you well with this new baby!
    Chihua Lover is owned by:
    2 Chihuas
    A WONDERFUL SFS - PAT
    1 English Budgie
    1 Cockatiel
    1 Parrotlet
    2 Cats
    1 Stray (adopted) Cat

When I first found Scooby I wasn't entirely sure what she was. I was fairly sure, but had some doubts. I thought maybe even an opossum. Then... I thought "OMGOSH how embarrassed with I be if this thing is a rat".

Now here you are with a rat. TOOOOO funny. Really I'm laughing WITH you. I swear!!!

TexanSquirrel Guest

I still think she(?) is precious. Just love that little baby and she will love you right back.

I think he/she is cute too! And if the Rogaine doesn't work, you could always glue dryer lint to it's tail!
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Sciurus1 Guest

I looked up Rat, and Ratus, and this is what I found on one site. It seems there are two types of your basic rat. Not sure which one you have, we have roof rats out here, and they are enemies of the tree squirrel. Back in Minnesota my friend has subterrainian rats, mortal enemies of the chipmunk, likely wood rats. Yet, when it comes to people, they will gladly share your space, and so your little one will be right at home with you!

Rats, Norway Rat, Wood Rat, Roof Rat

Scientific Name: Roof Rat aka Black Rat: Rattus rattus , Norway Rat: Rattus norvegicus
    Range:

Wood Rats are found especially around Arizona, New Mexico and California
    Roof Rats are generally never found more than 100 miles away from the coast.
    Norway Rats are found everywhere there are humans.
    Distinguishing Characteristics:

Roof Rats: Tail is longer than the body and the head combined.

Habitat: Everywhere there are humans. Rats are known as commensal rodents, meaning they live with people.

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmanxx
    There is no need to be so racist regarding the rodent clan.
    HA! This thread has been a riot!

Congratulations on your rattie. Sometimes God brings us the most wonderful gifts wrapped in the most unusual packages. I have never raised a rat, nor touched one, for that matter, but I feel sure I would be able to love it just like the squirrels.

Now, if a orphaned tarantula showed up at the door, that would be another matter altogether...

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

You could call him Scrat!

Really, he looks like a sweet rat & would probably be a great buddy for your kids, especially as you raised him from an infant & he was never in the pet store. You are actually very lucky to have him!

TexanSquirrel Guest

How are they today?

Sciurus1 Guest

I have a friend who rehabs squirrels, who one summer found an abandoned pinkie in her yard. She knew right away what it was, having seen the mother as well, a Norweigan Rat. This rat was very comfortable riding around on her in the house, and loved to swim in her rinse water; it was a really clean rat! It also liked to dart down her blouse when other approached, then bonding to her specfically, not as friendly as the fancy rats are with others. She loved it, and enjoyed it's companionship for many years.

Know that this rat may be the same, realize it has the GOOD LIFE! They are creatures that are ok with companions, not loners, it will likely take a liking to you. They lick, as I was told, very kissy creatures! So know, this one as well may refuse to be released. Also consider that an adult rat will go after baby squirrels, and if not them, will surely end up in a person's home, seen as an invader and vermin, a bold one, that is used to human contact! Not a hopeful future as I see it for such a rat, saving it then would end up being the source of it's own end likely. Better to find it a home with a young person who would keep it as a pet, close to the time it is weaned. Ask the other members the best time for this transition to be made, if that is you don't keep it for your own pet.

Yes, rats do kiss...they also like to groom their owner...great if you need a manicure.... My Emmilie would reach up and take my nose in her tiny little hands and with her mouth she would grab my nose in a very gentle way and that is one way she would kiss me....on occasions when I made corn on the cob she would climb up my chest and enjoy it with me....If I was eating something I did not share with her she would pry my mouth open and grab what ever I was eating and run away with it and hide so she could eat it...Of course i always let her get away with it...she loved to hand wrestle and was always gentle never once used her teeth to hurt me......I miss her...It's been 9 months and it seems so recent to me....

Mountain Mama--don't be too quick to judge My son ended up with two tarantulas that he rescued and believe it or not, we learned to like them a lot (love may be a little strong of a word) and also learned so much from these creatures and their habits. Did take a while to adjust though!

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by geocat52
    Mountain Mama--don't be too quick to judge My son ended up with two tarantulas that he rescued and believe it or not, we learned to like them a lot (love may be a little strong of a word) and also learned so much from these creatures and their habits. Did take a while to adjust though!
    GC I was recently explaining to Teen Angel what a "debilitating fear" is. The example that I used was this:

"Suppose there was a container that housed the biggest, sparkling, most beautiful, valuable, diamond ring. Suppose the owner of the ring and the container said that I could have the ring...all I had to do was reach in the container and take it out. And then he dropped a tarantula in the container with the ring. What would Mom do?"

As much as I love sparkling pretties, I have a debilitating fear of tarantulas. I know they aren't poisonous; they don't have to be. Placing one in my vicinity would render me lifeless just from heart failure.

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

TexanSquirrel Guest

I've always wanted a rattie but I haven't got one because they don't live very long. I know it should be quality over quantity, but breaks my heart when the critters have to go.

TexanSquirrel Guest

Well? How are they?

If I may offer my opinion - I think it is a baby deer mouse http://www.bugladyconsulting.com/mice%20baby.htm which is possibly wishful thinking since I adore deer mice - huge eyes and little white bellies with pink/white "gloves". Possible it's a rat but I don't know if a baby rat would have a white belly and the pictures I've seen show pudgier feet and less well formed ears at that size:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=3
    But it is entirely possibe that I'm wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.