Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a squirrel or a rat?

ordubismom Guest

Question Do I have a squirrel or a rat?

I have 3 baby squirrels that my neighbor brought me January 17th. They are Healthy and happy babies. Today the same neighbor brought me an even smaller baby than the last 3 that her cat left on her bathroom floor that it drug in. They were about 2 wks old when we got them. This one is darker than they were. Looks like them otherwise. It has a white stomach and is about the size of a AA battery. I am feeding it the pedialyte and switching her over to esbilac. My husband keeps telling me it's a squirrel (knowing I am terrified of mice and rats). But I was pretty sure that squirrel were only born 2 times a year and this is 2 months later than our last baby grays. Either way what can I do? Gotta love it, feed it, and set it free. I am trying so hard not to be fearful of it thinking it is a rat. Not sure how else to know for sure, other than to ask and or wait till the tail fills out or not. Lol.
    Thanks for your help.

Wink Re: Do I have a squirrel or a rat?

A picture would be nice so we can help you figure this dilemma out. However babies are wonderful no matter if it's a squirrel or rat Good luck !!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Default Re: Do I have a squirrel or a rat?

Hi and welcome....I am an avid rat lover and owner of many rats over the years...Many people don't really know about the personalities of rats and they are mis-judge....Rats are as affectionate as a pet squirrel...they are not biters unless really provoked and even then most don't bite...They are highly inteligent and love to be social...If this is a rat and you feed and take care of it I promise you will have a friend for the rest of it's life....Don't let images and rumors scare you off...Perhaps if they were called something that sounded cute people would see them differenly....So I have done just that...I refer to them as ratscales...
    As far as squirrels go...it is possible it is another baby squirrel from a current litter...this year the squirrels seem to be out of sink with their cycles because of all the warm weather we've had this winter...They are breeding early this year....
    So squirrel or ratscale, it needs someone to care for it and it needs love and affection.....

Lets see if this works....
    single pic is a squirrel
    many babies in pic are rats....the head is elongated compaired to the squirrels head.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

TexanSquirrel Guest

Post a pic so we can see!

ordubismom Guest

I am going to try to add some pictures. This baby squeeks a lot too if that is helpful. My squirrels never really squeeked except once the first day I got them. I hope these pictures aren't huge. Not sure how to make them smaller.Name:  HPIM3668.JPG
Views: 17173
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  HPIM3667.JPG
Views: 16174
Size:  193.3 KB

Name:  HPIM3673.JPG
Views: 21267
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  HPIM3675.JPG
Views: 15611
Size:  61.6 KB

TexanSquirrel Guest

Just remember that you have a beautiful little fuzzer who needs you. It just so happens to be the kind of fuzzer without the fuzzy tail. Just think about how sweet and precious he/she has been so far and will continue to be. Ratties have been know to make absolutely wonderful companions. There is no need to be afraid.

skye Guest

yep thats looks like a baby rat to me has that pointed tail. What a cute little darling not like he can hurt you right now so small and young and give him love he sure won't hurt you when he gets bigger. They are adorable I can't say I ever owned one but knew someone had them and I use to hold them all the time and so loving they can be. Good Lucky with this baby.

ordubismom Guest

EEEEkkkkk....I was afraid of that. Everyone at my home has told me over and over that it is a squirrel, but I fed my babies too many 2 hour feedings to believe this baby is a squirrel. Everything in me crys out Help! It's a rat. My kids are begging to keep it and I know I couldn't kill it, but not sure I can raise it and love it. I am trying I am trying. My Mother in law works at a vet and said she can take it with her to work tomorrow and they would raise it. Not sure what to do right now. I'm trying very hard not to have conditional love.

skye Guest

Well if a vet will take care of it maybe that be better off for the baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by ordubismom
    EEEEkkkkk....I was afraid of that. Everyone at my home has told me over and over that it is a squirrel, but I fed my babies too many 2 hour feedings to believe this baby is a squirrel. Everything in me crys out Help! It's a rat. My kids are begging to keep it and I know I couldn't kill it, but not sure I can raise it and love it. I am trying I am trying. My Mother in law works at a vet and said she can take it with her to work tomorrow and they would raise it. Not sure what to do right now. I'm trying very hard not to have conditional love.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Try to just focus on this: It's a fuzzy BABY (never mind the type) and it needs help and YOU have the experience to help it.

Doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing decision. Right now, this baby needs someone who knows how to take care of it. As it grows up, you may fall in love with it as many of us have with our squirrels. Or not -- and then you can find someone else to take over. Once the baby is older, it would be easier to find another home for it. So perhaps you can just take it slowly and see how it goes?

(The vet is a possibility, but perhaps check first to see if there is anyone that would know how to take care of such a yound baby?)

Good luck -- you're doing great!!

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Awww...so, cute.
    I know there is a part inside..thats saying aww..too..Just a wee disapointed...that it wasnt a squirrel..
    Thats okay...It needs you..
    Awww..your its mommy..now.
    They do make excellent pets..for the WHOLE family..where as if it were a squirrel..it would more than likely..ONLY..had LIKED you...
    This is a great...family addition!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    FLUFFYTAILNUT...n...BEAN

Pam Guest

I understand how you are feeling. I use to be terrified of mice. Well six years ago, my border collie brought a tiny pink creature to my doorstep late one night. My son brought "it" inside. He said I think it's a squirrel...I kept saying, but what if it's a mouse. He said, I don't care what it is, I can't let the baby die. We both fought all night to keep the little pink thing alive. I think I prayed the whole night...Lord, please let it be a squirrel. She turned out to be beautiful baby squirrel. I still have Roxy almost six years later...she's the love of my life.

squirrelmanxx Guest

There is no need to be so racist regarding the rodent clan.
    A small rat needs your help and should cause you no shame or embarrassment; you can always kill it later !!

Sometimes Moms don't get too choose just exactly how the kids are going to turn out, but Look on the bright side, when it grows up you can still feed it a peanut or two if you want

I have raised baby rats at the age of 2 days old because their mother died.....The best thing to feed a baby rat is Baby Soy Powder Formula, found in the baby isle at a grocery store...mix it with water until it looks like milk and you will be able to smell the sweetness of the formula....use a 1cc syring and feed the baby every 3-4 hours around the clock for a week then you can start cutting down round the clock..Just as with squirrels be sure the baby does not asperate as this will kill her....one drip at a time....Then after one week you can mix the formula in a small dish like a jar top but only put enough to cover the bottom to prevent drowning... As the baby starts to grow I will give you a diet suitable for a baby rat....From looking at this little angel I would put the age at no more than 2 weeks old....I'll take another look but I believe you have a little girl....I noticed she is very thin and the hip bones are showing so this baby needs food now....It is not recommended to feed puppy formula but untill you can get it the proper formula i guess in a pinch it will have to do....If you are not going to take on this task, you need to turn that little one over the first thing in the morning to prevent her from dying...She is already in a weakened condition and it seems like she hasn't eaten for at least 24 hours....if she doesn't get the care she needs now she may not make it the next 24 hours......So PLEASE do what is best for her....keep her warm as you do the squirrels...heating pad to cover 1/2 the container and cover her....keep me informed.... for caring for this tiny helpless baby....

At a second and third look at the picture of her uh-hum....the pic is too blurry to be sure so if you can send, another one that is not fuzzy...At this age it is difficult to seperate the boys from the girls...but I need a clear photo..

Mads Guest

oh..gosh...this post has been too funny.

I had a feeling it was a rat before seeing the photo. I love it! I think the good news may be you can release a rat fairly quickly...can't you? I mean, I never think of a rat as needing a mother for very long...but then, I don't really know for sure. I have tried saving baby mice before...wasn't successful with it. And as a kid, we had white mice that my young sister stoled from the science lab in school to save them. We liked them alot.

Well...need to feed the Fab five....

If you need to consider it a squirrel, go right ahead - you're it's Momma, and you can decide what it is! Just name it Notre.....we call the squirrels 'tree rats' all the time......this will just be a 'tree rat' without a tree!

Maybe you could try some Rogaine on it's tail???

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

ordubismom Guest

Lol...Oh that is just too funny!!! Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that. Especially right before my alarm goes off for the 3am feeding for my baby mouse or rat. I think I will consider the rogaine after the morning feeding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.