Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Mistakes and fixes

mpetys Guest

Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Just for argument's sake here, since we are updating this thread, I posed the question a few months ago to a group of the BF's fellow engineering types: "Can microwaving formula really mess up the molecules?"

They unanimously snickered at me. NO.
    The amount of time you would have to microwave the formula in order to do that would turn it into cheese. Basically, nuking for 10-15 seconds will not change any molecules whatsoever.
    Oh this is music to my ears! I may consider asking Santa for one of those small microwaves to put in baby squirrel room.

Kristal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Just for argument's sake here, since we are updating this thread, I posed the question a few months ago to a group of the BF's fellow engineering types: "Can microwaving formula really mess up the molecules?"

They unanimously snickered at me. NO.
    The amount of time you would have to microwave the formula in order to do that would turn it into cheese. Basically, nuking for 10-15 seconds will not change any molecules whatsoever.
    I remember reading that it is dangerous to microwave formula. But the actual reason why is that the microwave causes uneven heating. If formula is heated in a bottle and then given to a human baby, it can possibly be cool in some parts and then scalding hot in others, so that is the danger with microwaving formula. I give it a thorough stirring first to be sure that the heat is evenly distributed before feeding it to a kit.

Squirlgirl is offline Licensed Rehabilitator, The Squirrel Board

Kristal....This is the perfect thread for my question.

Could you please post a pic of the "plastic container" that was ripped through?

I think prevention is KEY now.

People NEED to know what kind of containers NOT to use or that are not dog safe.

Squirlgirl is offline Licensed Rehabilitator, The Squirrel Board

Oh Dear...I don't mean the "crime scene"!

I mean like a link to a new one..sorry.

Sterilite bin...Critter Keeper....just so people will be aware.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Does anyone know where there is a pic of a milk line??

Mrs. Lumberjack Guest

DO NOT OVERFEED YOUR ADULT SQUIRREL

or any of your pets for that matter. Pet obesity kills. Just as it does in humans, it can cause an array of health problems that could be avoided in the first place. This includes:

-Type 2 diabetes
    -Osteoarthritis
    -Heart/ kidney/respiratory disease
    -Cancer
    -Shorter life expectancy

If you don't know how big a normal squirrel is, just look outside (at the wild ones) and compare and think twice before you feed your baby that snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Never shake your formulas to mix.

This may seem picky but remember bubbles formed in the formula end up in your baby's tummy and can cause bloat. And bloat can kill. Always treat your formulas gently and stir to mix.
    Wow, I'm glad I found this. On the FV formula package I received it said to shake the formula to mix. They should probably change that since not everyone is a rehabber that buys the formula.

Thanks for the tip!

I think (and correct me if I am wrong) you can shake to mix but then have to let it sit for a VERY VERY long time to get the air bubbles out. That is the problem...and with baby squirrels everyone is usually making formula to use NOW so that is where the problem is...

If fixing a small amount to feed one or two squirrels, use very hot water and stir your FV with a fork. Dissolves well and no bubbles!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa View Post
    Does anyone know where there is a pic of a milk line??
    http://http://thesquirrelboard.com/f...els-developing

Rags97007 Guest

Please elaborate on that, what is wrong with distilled water or Pedialyte mixed with formula? Also what about making sure they are hydrated before first feeding?

Drinking distilled water is not good for any living thing; it is "too pure", devoid of all electrolytes, minerals, etc., and will interfere with your body's natural balance of these elements.

We don't use Pedialyte to mix with formula for several reasons:
    *it is high in sodium, so you only want to use it for 24 hrs maximum
    *mixing formula and Pedialyte changes the nutrient and mineral content of both, and not necessarily for the better. Formula will counteract the hydrating properties of the Pedialyte, defeating the purpose of using Pedialyte in the first place.

Hope this helps!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Akashia Guest

#1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.
    How do you know if they are going on their own consistently?
    Never Microwave your formulas to warm them

The micro wave oven messes with the structure of the protein molecules in the formula changing their bioavailabilty. In other words it screws with them to the point the body no longer recognizes them as proteins and does not know what to do with them.

Fix - make your formulas fresh each feeding using warm water or, barring that, use a hot water bath to reheat your formula.
    I think there was a post that answered this question.

This may seem picky but remember bubbles formed in the formula end up in your baby's tummy and can cause bloat. And bloat can kill. Always treat your formulas gently and stir to mix.
    I shake mine but slowly pour into a smaller container. This is like the same way you would do any liquid (i.e. resin and silicone) to prevent air bubbles. I also tap the syringe when I fill it to make sure there are not any that got trapped when I filled it

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz View Post
    Always mix formula with plain tap water or spring water. NEVER with Pedialyte or distilled water.
    Why not distilled water? I don't but I'm curious as to why not.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Drinking distilled water is not good for any living thing; it is "too pure", devoid of all electrolytes, minerals, etc., and will interfere with your body's natural balance of these elements.

We don't use Pedialyte to mix with formula for several reasons:
    *it is high in sodium, so you only want to use it for 24 hrs maximum
    *mixing formula and Pedialyte changes the nutrient and mineral content of both, and not necessarily for the better. Formula will counteract the hydrating properties of the Pedialyte, defeating the purpose of using Pedialyte in the first place.

Hope this helps!
    I've been told not to use the store bought baby pedialyte because it has a lot of junk in it. Is there a more natural pedialyte recipe that you can make?

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    this thread is not intended as a "live" thread, to which people respond regularly and which they check out regularly.
    The reason it might seem so confusing is because it deals with "Common Mistakes and Fixes", it's a "sticky" - means, it contains important information for references. But again, it's not a "live" thread.

It might be better if you post your question either in Nutrition forum, or Non-LIfe Threatening forum, depending on the urgency of your situation.

As far as I know, it's very hard to "overhydrate" a baby, especially, when they have diarrhea.
    Mixing formula and pedialyte is a no-no. They can be alternated, but never mixed.
    As for specifics of how to mix FV and what to add to it - I will let experts speak. Most likely, you will have to use a diluted FV for the first few feedings and gradually bring it to full strength. So, re-post your question as a separate thread in Nutrition forum, or Non-Life Threatening forum, and experts will advise.
    Do you mean pedialyte should never be used to make the formula?

I have my babies on pedialyte and I have been slowly moving them on formula. I've been told and doing this for awhile and I haven't had any trouble but I just want to make sure. I've been doing a 25% formula 75% pedialyte for two feedings, then 50% f 50% p for two feedings, then 25% pedialyte 75%formula for two feedings, then a 100% formula. I do not make my formula with pedialtye or distilled water. Does that sound right? Or is there a better way to transition them from pedialyte to formula?

Quote Originally Posted by Kolby315 View Post
    Do you mean pedialyte should never be used to make the formula?
    That is correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolby315 View Post
    I have my babies on pedialyte and I have been slowly moving them on formula. I've been told and doing this for awhile and I haven't had any trouble but I just want to make sure. I've been doing a 25% formula 75% pedialyte for two feedings, then 50% f 50% p for two feedings, then 25% pedialyte 75%formula for two feedings, then a 100% formula. I do not make my formula with pedialtye or distilled water. Does that sound right? Or is there a better way to transition them from pedialyte to formula?
    You do not have to "transition" from pedialyte / hydration to formula. You hydrate first a couple feedings To hydrate (depending on dehydration, some require longer) and or to flush baby's system. Then you start them on formula mixing 3 parts water 1 part formula for a couple feedings, then you increase to full strength which is mixing 2 parts water to 1 part formula. They need the nutrients in the formula. If baby still requires hydration you hydrate in between formula feedings. Example: If your feeding every 4 hrs. you would feed formula at 6 and hydrate at 8 feed formula at 10 hydrate at 12 and so on.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

To add to this, after 24 hours, pedialyte will actually begin to dehydrate due to the sodium, so if extra fluids are needed either sugar water, honey water or even plain water is used between feedings.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    That is correct!

You do not have to "transition" from pedialyte / hydration to formula. You hydrate first a couple feedings To hydrate (depending on dehydration, some require longer) and or to flush baby's system. Then you start them on formula mixing 3 parts water 1 part formula for a couple feedings, then you increase to full strength which is mixing 2 parts water to 1 part formula. They need the nutrients in the formula. If baby still requires hydration you hydrate in between formula feedings. Example: If your feeding every 4 hrs. you would feed formula at 6 and hydrate at 8 feed formula at 10 hydrate at 12 and so on.
    Finally found your reply, thank you again for your help. That does make a lot of sense.

If you did shake it to mix, How long before it is bubble free?
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38