Thread: Chocolate..is it harmful to squirrels?

Squirrelygirl63 Guest

Default Chocolate..is it harmful to squirrels?

My Adoree and I just had our first food fight.. she got a bite size Snicker and it was a fight to get it away! She did not bite me but did a lot of serious growling before I got it away. She had only taken a tiny bite. Will she be OK?
    Thanks for any responses!

Default Re: Chocolate..is it harmful to squirrels?

She should be fine....p*ssed off at you, but fine . Since she only got a little bite. I think chocolate is certainly not good for squirrels but not as highly toxic to them as it is to dogs, for instance.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

There is soooo little actual chocolate in a Snickers bar I really think she'll be fine. Now if it had been that extra dark stuff they have out on the market now, I'd worry more.

My Great Dane ate most of a bag of hershey's kissed with almonds the other night. Yes.. foil and all. She not only didn't die, she didn't even get a belly ache. That chocolate thing for dogs is highly blown out of proportion. I can't tell you how many chocolate thefts we've had over the years with our dogs. So far... none dead and none even sick.

TexanSquirrel Guest

But a few pieces of bacon nearly killed my dog. People food and pets don't mix, even though sometimes you think you're getting off easy.

I bet your little one will be fine. Next time try trading a nut for it - might help you keep your fingers!

Isn't is strange though - that while chocolate is not good for squirrel's they still seem to "GO NUTS" when they smell it...... and then we (the humans) have to fight to get it away from them all while protecting our fingers from sudden death.

I had to fight with Max to get a box of thin mints from him on Christmas morning when I let him out of his cage for a little bit before every one got up - it was a sight to see...... Max hanging on for dear life and me trying to shake a very determined and angry squirrel from the box that was still wrapped in plastic - which BTW Max got thru the plastic and the box with in 30 seconds or less and was going for the chocolate by the time I got to him.

..... and Max tried to eat thru our stockings for the chocolate that was in there.

A little chocolate isn't going to hurt a squirrel. Rachel eats it now and then. It isn't harmful to rats, so I can't imagine why it would be any different in a squirrel. Even dogs have to eat a LOT of it to be harmful to them!

There are two articles about chocolate on the RMCA website for anyone interested.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/ratchoc.htm

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/chocolate.htm

Pam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnack
    That chocolate thing for dogs is highly blown out of proportion. I can't tell you how many chocolate thefts we've had over the years with our dogs. So far... none dead and none even sick.
    My husband had a very sick dog come into the clinic yesterday. He was weak, wobbly and vomiting. His heart rate was also elevated. My DH could "smell" chocolate. The dog had gotten into a child's Christmas stocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelygirl63
    My Adoree and I just had our first food fight.. she got a bite size Snicker and it was a fight to get it away! She did not bite me but did a lot of serious growling before I got it away. She had only taken a tiny bite. Will she be OK?
    Thanks for any responses!
    My pet squirrel loves chocolate. I don't give it to her, but she can find it if it is any where around. It has never hurt her, but it makes her hyper and drunk acting. Here's a picture of Roxy after a chocolate binge...

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    My husband had a very sick dog come into the clinic yesterday. He was weak, wobbly and vomiting. His heart rate was also elevated. My DH could "smell" chocolate. The dog had gotten into a child's Christmas stocking.

My pet squirrel loves chocolate. I don't give it to her, but she can find it if it is any where around. It has never hurt her, but it makes her hyper and drunk acting. Here's a picture of Roxy after a chocolate binge...

OH MY GOD..that is so, adorable....I said..it out loud..OH MY GOD..that is....SO,(HIGH pitched)...CUTE!!!
    YOu are..doing such a wonderful job with her!
    Ive tried to give Bean a few bites..of my chocolate..he could care less??
    :wott

ravenlaws32 Guest

great pic ,lol , yeah a little chocolate is not so evil, but always remember , any food can become dangerous , depending on how old or new it is , animals as well as humans can become toxic allergic to anything in a split second they have eaten for years .so just be watchful.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenlaws32
    great pic ,lol , yeah a little chocolate is not so evil, but always remember , any food can become dangerous , depending on how old or new it is , animals as well as humans can become toxic allergic to anything in a split second they have eaten for years .so just be watchful.
    hi ravenlaws!! Nice to see you again!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

We have an insane family Christmas tradition that someone buys one of those HUGE 10-pound boxes of cheap chocolates for everyone to pig-out on. The same words are always intoned as the box is first opened: "Expensive chocolates are too rich; you can't eat more than one. With the cheap stuff, you can eat a lot more!!!" (Hey, it says "Made with REAL CHOCOLATE" right on the front of the box!!!)

Anyhow, this year I bought the box and it was sitting, still shrink-wrapped in celophane, on the kitchen island, when Mr. Henry found it. Evidently, he smelled the "pecan clusters" inside and he was into that sucker in under 5 seconds!! Figured if I told everyone the box had been gnawed by rodents, I'd have them all to myself, but noooooo......

And my brother got all the chocolate covered cherries.....again...
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

ELVIS Guest

our baby elvis has been known to eat a whole chips ahoy cookie and it didn't seem to bother him any

Members who have read this thread: 1