Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: paralyzed squirrel

ravenlaws32 Guest

Default Re: paralyzed squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Timber
    O.K. now, WHAT's the hurt squirrels name. You called him Dusty in the photo or were you just saying that the photo was dusty. Anyway futher down the thread I thought that you called him Lewis. Listen I have already beEN corrected for getting SPARKS and SPARKYs' names mixed up and the continuing drama with Little Sparks and now your crippled little fellow. Oh man, we need to start a forum titled 'THE DAYS OF OUR SQUIRRELS LIVES".

wrong thread and squirrel . my squirrel is named lewis . no worries

Ravenlaws, how is Lewis doing? Any change -- improvement, I hope?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

ravenlaws32 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Ravenlaws, how is Lewis doing? Any change -- improvement, I hope?

no improvement i can tell . he is seeming to feel better .stll dragging rear leggs and no movement of tail .i did notice his stool is softer and clumped first time ever all together instead of little poop balls ,maybe too much kale ? or broccoli? or maybe to much puppy formula ? how many cc do i give him a day like this condition? tomorrow is the true tell xray. what do you guys think ,if back is broken could he still have a good life? or am i being wrong and making him suffer or let him go to rainbow bridge? i would love for him to have some quailty life . i dunno im 50/50 on it . how long should i give him for improvement? another i noticed today he is quivering alot since accident he shakes very so faintly. like vibrating . man i wish some of you seasoned veterans lived close by and could see him . i just dont want to think im making him suffer. he takes a bath and whatnot and seems ok but its so saddening see him like this knowing what he was like a week ago .

Squirlgirl is offline Licensed Rehabilitator, The Squirrel Board

The Internet is full of info...but can be frustrating when the info does not agree. I have never seen Clarissa's diet, but was told that it was VERY improper, and was a major reason that she lost her license. Without seeing a squirrel, that is injured, and how they act and move...it becomes difficult. A rash, wounds..etc. are easily seen with a still pic. No matter what your little guy's problem is..break, soft tissue injury, MBD...we are all trying to cover all the bases, because no one can see. Not matter what his problem, he should have a great diet, to help heal and quiet, rest. It hurt nothing to put him on a great nutrient diet...only help. Is it MBD...from what you said, probably not...but it is not like giving un-needed meds. I am crossing all of my fingers and toes...and know he is in the hands of a person that is willing to do anything needed to help him....that is what matters! Please let us know...I'm sure you have a great sense of the problem, I wish we all could, to be more helpful!!!!

ohhh boy.....

euthanasia is something that is not pleasant to think about, but in a case like this, you have to consider it.

if i were in your shoes, i wouldn't put lewis down unless he was in obvious pain, and even then, i'd give him a month or two to improve. if he doesn't improve but the pain goes away and he learns to adapt, then he can have a good life. you'd just need to make his living arrangements easy to navigate for his condition.

if you can't have a pet squirrel, i dunno what to tell you. squirrels are highly adaptable, and i have faith that lewis will be able to live a happy life, but it would most likely occur in your care. think carefully about it, because a pet squirrel is a committment, but if he's anything like the other pet squirrels on this site, he'll bring you daily joy and you'll love him dearly.

i hope it works out.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

ravenlaws32 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Squirlgirl
    The Internet is full of info...but can be frustrating when the info does not agree. I have never seen Clarissa's diet, but was told that it was VERY improper, and was a major reason that she lost her license. Without seeing a squirrel, that is injured, and how they act and move...it becomes difficult. A rash, wounds..etc. are easily seen with a still pic. No matter what your little guy's problem is..break, soft tissue injury, MBD...we are all trying to cover all the bases, because no one can see. Not matter what his problem, he should have a great diet, to help heal and quiet, rest. It hurt nothing to put him on a great nutrient diet...only help. Is it MBD...from what you said, probably not...but it is not like giving un-needed meds. I am crossing all of my fingers and toes...and know he is in the hands of a person that is willing to do anything needed to help him....that is what matters! Please let us know...I'm sure you have a great sense of the problem, I wish we all could, to be more helpful!!!!
    yeah tough choices. the only thing i did follow from clarissa was the nutballs . i use all the other foods and etc . i had read and found her site long ago and thats when i started making nutballs the other squirrels were raised fine and heathly . oh well . he seems to be not in pain ,he is drinking from his mounted water bottle i have it at the very botom for him . . honestly if i was to immediately put him down i would have done it last wednesday night when all this happened. i just want to give him a shot thats it at a happy somewhat life he has left .if i ever feel he really is depressed and going down hill then i will make the other call. we just want lewis to be ok and paralyzed or not we love him no different . i said i would not let him touch my heart but he got in . prayers please tomorrow he goes for xrays .

ravenlaws32 Guest

heres some pics .
    Last edited by ravenlaws32; 02-19-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Timber Guest

Alright, I worked it out now, That was Muffinsquirrels photo of Dusty but both stories are on the same thread under paralized Squirrel. In other words it is two stories running on the same thread. Hey I admit I am just not to computer savy and some of this gets me confused at times. The chat rooms really throw me for a loop. Anyway best of luck and love to both squirrels and some of the best pet squirrels I have met were ones that were paralized. I guess they know that if left in the wild their life would be kaput and once they settle in and see that their human is giving them a chance at life still and one that is very comfortable then they are thankful.

Timber Guest

Hey, have you seen those little contraptions that they have for paralized dogs and cats. They strap them around their waste and have wheels and the little handicapped critters can just scoot around all over the place. Well, I believe that I could make one for a squirrel using fa fur, sude, leather and wheels from a kids toy truck or car. Now that would be kool.

ravenlaws32 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Timber
    Hey, have you seen those little contraptions that they have for paralized dogs and cats. They strap them around their waste and have wheels and the little handicapped critters can just scoot around all over the place. Well, I believe that I could make one for a squirrel using fa fur, sude, leather and wheels from a kids toy truck or car. Now that would be kool.

i thought of that too, but not good at making things , if you decide to make some let me know i would buy one .

how well does lewis move around? like, does he drag himself a long, or is he able to hop a little bit, or what?

i think you should try massaging his back legs, too. i don't care if it's not scientifically proven, i think it'll help!

ravenlaws32 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    how well does lewis move around? like, does he drag himself a long, or is he able to hop a little bit, or what?

i think you should try massaging his back legs, too. i don't care if it's not scientifically proven, i think it'll help!

he drags himself around , no hopping , im alittle concerned on his urinating sometimes i have to help him out, the other vet said hat after a awhile they rub and tend to go on thier own again well, so i dunno . right now he is still in kinda shock, he doesnt know what to think yet.

whats weird to me is last wednesday when it happened he was pulling himself around straightened now he has a big curve to him like ) you can see it in the pics . he wasnt like that til friday or saturday. im trying to kep him quiet with all the while trying to watch him and keep eye on him .i have him out and he is sliding around the bedroom floor.

Looking at these photos Lewis is young and his tail is fully furred and laying flat ( meaning Young ) and he has the "sick squirrel kitten fur" which is the direct result of improper nutrition. We were all under the asumption Lewis was older. This squirrel is too young to have a broken pelvis unless of injury...not just a fall. The vet you are taking Lewis to......is it a wildlife vet??? Make sure first!!!!!
    Calrissa is a rehabber who had her licensed revolked for promoting a improper diet over the internet!!!!!!!! Not a good sign.
    If the "squirrel was fine a month ago and soon to be released" (your quote) the photos shows a young squirrel to soon to be released...... so a month earlier it would have still needed puppy formula and proper care.
    If the squirrel was climbing and clinging to the cage then it was starving. It will take you several weeks of proper nutrition and care to see a difference in his health. I have seen all I need to see and just want the best for your lil boy. His is still a baby. I live in SC and will drive to NC to get this boy and care for him. I want to scream and shout because the pictures tell the story.....I am here to help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

MDB is the topic of my post...so please don't give up on Lewis because he can be cured and be a success story!!!! Lewis has a wonderful chance for a full recovery.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

SS, Where did you see that Lewis was climbing and clinging to the cage? I looked and couldn't find that posting.

ravenlaws32 Guest

lewis is going just for xrays for now . here are some pics of him before his injury and paralysis . he never has been clinging to cage or wanting for food or starving. SS what can i do ? hes on esiliblac and kale, broccoli,spinach , and prime in his water.these pics were taken a few days before his paralysis.
    Last edited by ravenlaws32; 02-19-2007 at 04:01 PM.

gosh, that's so sad. he was such a healthy squirrel.

all i can talk about for now is the bend of his body (i gotta go lol). if he always bends one way, it may be that his paralysis was uneven and he has more feeling in one side than the other. check him to make sure he isn't tilting his head constantly to one side, or "floating". (floating is when they let their heads droop slooooowly down, at a very even rate, as if they're a machine or something). tilting and floating are signs of brain damage.

yikes, gotta go!

ravenlaws32 Guest

***** UPDATE *****

Lewis was x-rayed today. technically his back is broken. the vet says it is a 'developmental abnormality', and could have happened at any time, and is not a diet related 'injury'. although it could have been brought on from a fall, or knock to the spine, it probably would have happened eventually anyway.

looking at the xray it shows his spine, similar to below:
    ----l---l---l---l---l---l*l---l---l---l---l---l---l---l---li
    the " l " are his vertibreas. the " * " is a triangular shaped vertibrea which has shifted, or tilted, the tip or point no longer pointing upwards, but turned so that one point of the triangle is touching a vertibrea on both sides, pinching/touching his spinal cord, causing him to be paralized.

the vet said even if it were a cat or dog (or human) there is nothing he or anyone can do, and Lewis will most likely always be paralized....but, there is a small posibility that it could reverse, or get somewhat better if the triangle vertibrea breaks down (similar to a human with a crushed disc) or if the triangle resets itself to the 'original normal' position. if it would reset itself over time, it can happen again and again, and maybe never get better. on a good note, it wont get any worse. now its decision making time for us, to decide how to house him, how long to give him a chance, maybe forever etc etc. the vet said he will keep his file and treat him whenever needed, just like a pet domestic rabbit or hamster, so at least we have a caring and willing vet to take him to later if needed.

time to think..........................

even thou its not the news we all wanted it somewhat has a silver lining at just maybe ,maybe a miracle will happen,i think back now to what if he was released and it happened in the wild , he would die so even if this never happened and we had know of this problem before hand he couldnt be released to start with . i want to personally think everyone and i mean everyone on this board who has over the last week ,gave info ,love ,support,or just basically gave a damn to me and lewis and our family. yes there is alot of tough decisions to be made but we owe it to lewis to give it 100% effort . i feel alitle better in knowing that its wasnt all my fault but the time for blame is overand healing must begin . the other good thing out of this whole situation is i have found a place called the squirrel board to call home and hopefully alot of friends for the future. thank you and god bless.

sparkysmom Guest

Good luck Raven in your decisions. I know its hard. Something tells me though this baby has found his place in your heart and your home.

As with my human friends who need my prayers, and there is those animal people who need them too. I'll wing a prayer that way, if you don't mind for your little one and you.

bob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1