Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible situation - coughing/choking

roguetiger Guest

Default Possible situation - coughing/choking

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this needs another pair of eyes asap.

Wart seems to be coughing or choking on something, I can't tell. I got him out of his cage about an hour ago and he stretched upwards and yawned, but the yawn turned into an "ack".

I've been playing with him for the past hour, to keep my eye on him. At first, he was very clingy and just wanted to curl up in my arm or shirt. I stroked his head for a few minutes and he snapped out of it.

He has been running around me like normal and jumping on various things, wrestling, etc. but every 10 minutes or so will pause and cough, like a cat with a hairball with an accompanying squeak.

I'm trying not to panic, but I know this isn't normal. Earlier this evening he aspirated pretty badly, but we hung upside down and he seemed ok. I've only seen him eat a piece of sweet potato this evening and I offered him a little bananna, which he had a few bites of and then hid. There is no popping or clicking when he breathes.

Is it possible he has something stuck in his windpipe? I tried to look with a flashlight, but didn't see anything in his throat.

Please post advise asap!!

Default Re: Possible situation - coughing/choking

Quote Originally Posted by roguetiger
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this needs another pair of eyes asap.

Wart seems to be coughing or choking on something, I can't tell. I got him out of his cage about an hour ago and he stretched upwards and yawned, but the yawn turned into an "ack".

I've been playing with him for the past hour, to keep my eye on him. At first, he was very clingy and just wanted to curl up in my arm or shirt. I stroked his head for a few minutes and he snapped out of it.

He has been running around me like normal and jumping on various things, wrestling, etc. but every 10 minutes or so will pause and cough, like a cat with a hairball with an accompanying squeak.

I'm trying not to panic, but I know this isn't normal. Earlier this evening he aspirated pretty badly, but we hung upside down and he seemed ok. I've only seen him eat a piece of sweet potato this evening and I offered him a little bananna, which he had a few bites of and then hid. There is no popping or clicking when he breathes.

Is it possible he has something stuck in his windpipe? I tried to look with a flashlight, but didn't see anything in his throat.

Please post advise asap!!
    First I would try hanging him upside down again and massage his upper back very gently, from tail down toward his head. See if that causes him to cough more, or not. Do it a few times, not just once or twice, in case there is something there. If he "aspirated pretty badly" today he probably has stuff still stuck in his little lungs. I would very vigilant with him for the next 12 hours or so, and if you hear wheezing or clicking you must get him on antibiotics ASAP. It may, however, clear itself up and squirrels often do make that "aak" sound to clear their windpipes...mine seem to do it when they eat the rodent chow, I guess because it's dry. Don't panic, but be vigilant. Especially when you are feeding him so that he doesn't aspirate again.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

roguetiger Guest

Nest question: how do you hang a squirrel upside down when he doesn't want to be upside down?!

Also, is it ok to put him to bed? Should I keep him up through the night?

also, how long do they cough? Hours? A few minutes?

Mars Guest

Will he climb down your pant leg? That would be upside down. Is he otherwise breathing normally?

roguetiger Guest

Ok, I finagled some arrangement. He squeeked a few times, maybe a cough? Hard to tell. Also, he just hopped into his cage and woofed down an apple slice. After a few first bites, he did that kinda choke/gag movement without a cough and proceeded to eat the rest of the apple without a problem.

waiting....

again, should I let him sleep?

Mars Guest

It sounds like baby is uncomfortable like when we sneeze milk through our nose. My guess is he will be fine. You can check his gums they should be nicely pink if they are greyish or white he isn't getting enough oxygen. But it sound like it's bothering you more than him. I would let baby sleep. You may not get much sleep. I know I wouldn't.

roguetiger Guest

Thanks Mars - that helps to know. We're so close to letting him go, I'm frightened he'll never get the chance. He has been sitting in his nest with his little head poking out watching me watch him. He hasn't coughed since he ate the apple (and then a carrot and then a banana) but a few minutes ago he gave a little squeek of a wheeze/small 'ack'. If he was really having a hard time, he wouldn't be eating, right?

I'm going to keep checking on him. Other than grey/white gums, at point will you know if the danger has past or is getting worse? (I'm pretty sure I can figure it out if it gets worse, I just want to be prepared).

Thank you guys for all the support!

Mars Guest

The crisis should pass in the next 24 to 48 hours. The longer he goes without getting worse the less likely it is he will get sick.

roguetiger Guest

I'm really just worried about something being stuck in his windpipe and not being able to do anything about it. I checked on him a few minutes ago and he came out of his house only to cough 3 times 'ack ack ack'. I don't know if that is good or bad. Sigh...it is going to be a long night.

If worse comes to worse, I'll take him to the state vet school in the morning and just tell them I found him like this. They won't treat squirrels unless you have a permit (rehabber) state license.

roguetiger Guest

p.s - thank you guys so much. you have really been so very helpful!

roguetiger Guest

Update: I was bad and just woke him up. I wanted to check the color of his gums (sheepish). They look fine, but he hopped onto fiance's shoulder and let out a high pitched double cough.

We were wondering if it is possible he has a cold rather than pneumonia? Again, no popping/clicking, but still coughing.

I'm sure I'll be checking on him all night, but if this persists until the morning, what should I do? If no signs of pneumonia, do i get him antibiotics? If still coughing, is something caught or a possible cold?

already sleepless,

ginny (the rogue tiger)

I am not sure how old your squirrel is but is it possible that he has something stuck behind his upper teeth? My squirrelie has had this happen a couple of time and so has Tilty.

Another possibility is has he had any grapes or apples? Maybe a peel stuck to the roof of his mouth?

yep, I'm thinking some peel from that piece of apple.....it may be stuck to the roof of his mouth and annoying him but not really hampering his breathing or anything.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

roguetiger Guest

Ok, a.m. update:

Wart made it through the night, I hardly slept at all. He poked his head out this morning and seemed eager to get out of the cage. I fixed his breakfast and brought it in. He wasn't interested in the formula (maybe because he is getting older or maybe b/c it was in shallow dish instead of syringe - thought it would be easier to drink since he was having trouble yesterday).

Anyway, he was perky to start, but didn't want any solid food. Ate a nip of avocado, didn't touch anything else. He was on the chair and went to wash his face and coughed then kinda half gagged. Again, he got clingy and tried to curl up in my arm. He hasn't don't that since he was little. I snuggled with him for a bit and he kinda snapped out of that and went to sit on his chair. For a while, he was acting kinda lethargic and timid. He then drank his formula.

Now he is a little more frisky and is exploring and hopping around and will play fight without a problem. He does however, stop and catch his breath after a good romp. I can't tell if he is breathing faster or not (they breath so fast anyway) but his little breaths are from his belly area. I checked his gums and they are pale light pink. I can't tell if that is ok, or if he isn't getting enough oxygen. See pic:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Tiger/gums.jpg

He hasn't coughed in a while (last one was about an hour ago, or more). He is eating a little now and still playing.

What should I be looking for? If his breathing is impaired, what are signs?
    Could it be a cold?
    Any and all help appreciated. Thanks all!

Did you check the roof of his mouth, like some of the other folks here suggested?

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Im so glad every thing has settled down..and you can relax a little..your little one sounds like its back to business of being a baby squirrel..
    Did you get a chance to get a look see..I know its hard to open and look inside....easier said than done..
    Maybe just a quick peek...to be sure nothing is up there..

roguetiger Guest

Yep, I did. Unfortunately, he started coughing last night before he ate the apple slice, and no grapes. but I checked just in case.

what I really need to know is at what point do I take him to the vet? Is there anything they can do to help?

He just did a few laps around me and on his way up my back had a huge gasp/squeek and then got the hiccups. He has been taking it easy since then.

jules Guest

Smile Re: Possible situation - coughing/choking

Hi,

Possible signs of his breathing being impaired:
    Lethargic
    Loss of appetite
    Chest noises; rattling, crackling, wheezing
    mucus membranes pale/grey/blue
    Weight loss.

Don't panic when you read the list. All or some of these can be symptoms of many causes.
    It may be a good idea to take him to a vet, if you know of one that treats squirrels, other than that just keep an eye on his progression.
    He doesn't look pale to me!
    You're doing a BRILLIANT job!

Jules.

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roguetiger
    Yep, I did. Unfortunately, he started coughing last night before he ate the apple slice, and no grapes. but I checked just in case.

what I really need to know is at what point do I take him to the vet? Is there anything they can do to help?

He just did a few laps around me and on his way up my back had a huge gasp/squeek and then got the hiccups. He has been taking it easy since then.
    I would take him to the vet's...being that he's so young..I wouldnt take any chances..and you still sound uptight..Id go with my gut..is it telling you ..too...to go get medical help? DO you have a vet by you..that you can take him?
    Its better to be safe that sorry...espeacially when they are so, young.
    Im not trying to freak you out..or stress you..Im suggesting these ideas as a comfort for you.
    If you think its some ting you can handle on your own...then just do what you think is best.
    Thats just my two bits.
    I hope your not wiggen..
    Rachel.....................................

Mars Guest

I think I can offer homeopathic help to ease his breathing. If you are interested in this possiblity please return my PM and I shall forward information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.