Thread: BLEEDING SQUIRREL

Hybrid View

Default BLEEDING SQUIRREL

My baby girl was found on the floor bleeding from her mouth and nose. This was 3 days ago and she is still not acting right. She is eating and drinking and stool is fine. She feels a bit warm to me and she is now making a sneezing sound occasionally. I think she may have broken her upper teeth. I'm absolutely crushed that I wasn't here to prevent this and now she's having to deal with whatever happened to her. What can I do if her teeth are broken or if her nose is broken and could this cause her to have a fever?

Default Re: BLEEDING SQUIRREL

First things first. This is likely really painful. Go to a drug or grocery store or Walmart and get some INFANT IBUPROPHEN. It is a liquid, and the usually like the taste. Get only the infant ibuprophen.

Do you have a 1cc syringe?
    Do you know her weight? We will need that to dose the infant ibuprophen.

It does a remarkably good job of knocking the pain down on these guys, and if she feels a little better hopefully she will let you get a good look at her teeth to figure out what is happening.

The sniffing/snorting could very well her trying to clear dried blood from inside her nose.

How old is this squirrel?

Yes I know all those things. I found her and her 2 brothers when they were 2 weeks old. They are now 12 weeks old. Her brothers have been released out back and they usually stop by once a day but have stayed outside all night for a week now. They look so good and seem to be doing great. I'm so crushed by this, she was strongest, fastest, smartest, best climber and to see her struggle just breaks my heart. I can't believe the way this little animal has affected me. I know I can never do this again but I want to do whatever I can for her even if I have to take her to sanctuary. 😭😭

Are you giving her infant ibuprophen?

If the teeth have been broken off at gum level there is a chance that they will continue to grow and if you hold her back from release so you can "custom" feed her and watch the opposing teeth to make sure they do not compensate by overgrowing, she can be okay.

If the teeth are broken off in the jaw, a vet versed in dentistry will have to deal with it. Both upper and lower incisors are pretty specialty teeth with attachments inside to be strong enough to be squirrel teeth. You can't leave a broken off tooth in the jaw. It will decay and the resulting infection will not end without removing all of it.

So being able to get a really close look at this point is important. Needless to say, an x-ray would be a lot better.