Thread: Blood on penis tip and at cage bottom!

Default Blood on penis tip and at cage bottom!

Help! Has anyone ever seen their boy have blood like this come from their penis? I don't think it's in his urine as that is clear as a bell....and he had urine testing done last month that came up great. Is he either biting at himself/biting his penis once unsheathed, has hair ring, a UTI, passing a stone or worse? I'm unsure since I never catch him during the act. He has been hormonal the last week....he gets that way roughly four times per year. Little to no eating or drinking, marathon running, shedding, and new fur growth. But in 4 years he's never done this quite as bad. this started this past January...did it twice, was medicated for uti, and it stopped. But now this has happened 4 times in 2 days. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Blood on penis tip and at cage bottom!

Does this correspond with him becoming hormonal? He has done this self mutilation before this?

The thing is, this can become life threatening really fast. If he chews it up to where he can't urinate, he will not live for long.

Do you have a vet? If so, I would get him there and if not I would start looking really hard. If he is mutilating himself because of sexual frustration, or simply getting too enthusiastic while masturbating, the only thing I can think of to stop it would be neutering him. You can't keep an e-collar on a squirrel.

I don;t think this is self mutilating. It's coming from inside. The penis sheath looks ok. I wish it were that easy. I have a vet but she's not a squirrel pro.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Does this correspond with him becoming hormonal? He has done this self mutilation before this?

The thing is, this can become life threatening really fast. If he chews it up to where he can't urinate, he will not live for long.

Do you have a vet? If so, I would get him there and if not I would start looking really hard. If he is mutilating himself because of sexual frustration, or simply getting too enthusiastic while masturbating, the only thing I can think of to stop it would be neutering him. You can't keep an e-collar on a squirrel.

Please send a private message to a Wisconsin member, tomahawk flyers. He might know of a vet resource. I will also send him a message directing him to this thread.

Edit: message sent to tomahawk flyers

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

strdsk (04-26-2024)

Plus, he likely would not be nibbling on the sheath, it would be the penis contained within the sheath if this is sexually motivated. The sheath may be covering problems you cannot see. Then each time it starts to heal it starts to itch and then you know what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Please send a private message to a Wisconsin member, tomahawk flyers. He might know of a vet resource. I will also send him a message directing him to this thread.

Edit: message sent to tomahawk flyers
    Message received. Information sent.
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (04-26-2024), CritterMom (04-26-2024), Mel1959 (04-26-2024)

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Plus, he likely would not be nibbling on the sheath, it would be the penis contained within the sheath if this is sexually motivated. The sheath may be covering problems you cannot see. Then each time it starts to heal it starts to itch and then you know what happens...