Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 Year old Moby HELP

Default Re: 9 Year old Moby HELP

Hi Crittermom - Sadly I have no sugar at home, I can go to the store at 7 am and grab it when they open, would that be okay or do I need to figure something out right NOW??

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Well, molasses is often suggested because in addition to being sweet it also has calcium in it, but few people have a jar of molasses hanging around these days. As I mentioned, you can use plain old sugar - one skinny teaspoon in a cup of water. Honey will work. You just don't want artificial sweeteners because they do not act the same in the body as sugar does.
    Hi CM -

I found a sprouts open and go the Wholesome Organic Blackstrap Molasses. How do I dose this please!?

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Ok - Should I get pure maple syrup instead?
    Hi RamiS:
    As I mentioned in my PM to you; I am working this evening and just had another moment to look again at your Thread. Thanks CM for looking at the syrup and Tums label! Just a comment and suggestion; you do NOT need "pure maple syrup." This is very expensive and definitely not needed. If I had to put this on my pancakes I couldn't afford fuel for my airplane! My suggestion in addition to those offered by CM would be to use the molasses if you have it or simply go back to Walmart and get the same brand of syrup withOUT the sugar free label!

Also, as CM pointed out, Calcium carbonate which is what is contained in Tums or similar antacid tablets contains only 40% Elemental Calcium but it actually contains the highest percentage of Elemental calcium of the usual options which include among others; Calcium citrate contains with 21% Elemental Calcium and Calcium gluconate which contains 9% Elemental Calcium and Calcium lactate which contains 13% Elemental Calcium.

The Henry's MBD Treatment Protocol is based upon initially treating an "average" weight Squirrel (Moby would be in that category) with 500mg of Elemental Calcium each day. This would divided into 5 doses given every 4 hours (initially--you will NOT need to do this every 4 hours for more than several days as once the Squirrel is consuming Henry's Blocks, the extra calcium can be halved as two Henry's Blocks contain a full daily dose of Elemental Calcium and all that would be needed would be supplemental Calcium to restore the lost calcium associated with the MBD. This calcium must be restored to the bones and will take a relatively long time (can approach a year!) of treatment with supplemental calcium. Henry's has some suggestion for making the supplemental Calcium more palatable for Moby! You might also see if Moby might be interested in some Squirrel appropriate formula (FV 20/50 or Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer POWDER) as this will add nutrition, Calcium and hydration! Usually, one of the common problems associated with MBD is decreased appetite and you can most bang for the proverbial buck with using Henry's Blocks as they are concentrated and only two of them will proved for all of the Maintenance nutritional needs of the "average" adult Squirrel!

As far as the poop, I would just see what comes next, Rami. They may very well return to their usual consistency with Moby's next trip to the can!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hi CM -

I found a sprouts open and go the Wholesome Organic Blackstrap Molasses. How do I dose this please!?
    I'm still at work but still on your thread so I'll answer this based upon my use of a sweetener and that is one teaspoonful of sweetener added to one cup of water and mix thoroughly.
    Regards,
    StS

Thank you Sam - Sadly, he would not take the Wholesome Organic Blackstrap Molasses, nor would he take more water or a block, I ended up put some crushed tums inside of one blueberry and he ate that, pooped a little more (this time it was normal and moist) and he went to bed.

My observations so far is:

1- he is weak
    2- sketchy a little from. things he normally wouldnt bother with like a tree branch
    3- Seems he cant wait to find a place and lay down

Thank you Sam - Sadly, he would not take the Wholesome Organic Blackstrap Molasses, nor would he take more water or a block, I ended up put some crushed tums inside of one blueberry and he ate that, pooped a little more (this time it was normal and moist) and he went to bed.

My observations so far is:

1- he is weak
    2- sketchy a little from. things he normally wouldnt bother with like a tree branch
    3- Seems he cant wait to find a place and lay down
    I'm so sorry, RamiS! Of course I am hoping for the very best for little Moby and I sincerely hope for there to be a reversal of his worrisome signs and a rapid and complete recovery! Please keep him warm and comfortable and regularly offer warm (sweetened) water by 1cc syringe (of course withOUT a needle) in addition to his regular water source he always has available and also, please offer by hand, some more Henry's Block. You can also break these up and mix maybe half of a Block or a quarter of a Block with a small amount some tasty baby food or almond butter (or even peanut butter) or plain water or whatever he may like so as to make a dough out of the Block as Moby may appreciate this consistency rather than the relatively harder block itself. Please keep him warm and comfortable as I know you are doing! I have known Moby through your posts about him for a couple of years and have thought about him frequently even in the absence of new posts about him! Give Moby my love and please give him a gentle Squirrel hug from me! Also, please keep on with the updates! I am hoping for good news!

I wish the very best for you, little Moby Squirrel and I wish you the best as well, RamiS!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hello - Quick update this morning -

We got the apple juice, and molasses unsulphured and he wanted nothing to do with them, so I had to switch it up a bit. This morning, I mixed a table spoon of sugar with a cup of warm water, and because he refused the syringe I just put it in his bowl and he drank a good amount (bowl carries about 6 ml) he also ate 90% of a block, chewed on some tums. He did # 1 and a little #2

I think he is doing better, I would say he is 40% this morning.

Forgot to add this -

I made him this as well right after he ate 90% of the block, I took the rest of the block, broke it down, mixed it with a little tums and peanut butter into a ball, and below is him sitting next to the window eating it

Name:  IMG_3754.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  84.3 KB

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Diggie's Friend (04-21-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-21-2024)

Hello - Quick update this morning -

We got the apple juice, and molasses unsulphured and he wanted nothing to do with them, so I had to switch it up a bit. This morning, I mixed a table spoon of sugar with a cup of warm water, and because he refused the syringe I just put it in his bowl and he drank a good amount (bowl carries about 6 ml) he also ate 90% of a block, chewed on some tums. He did # 1 and a little #2

I think he is doing better, I would say he is 40% this morning.
    I'm so glad to hear about this improvement in Moby's condition, RamiS! Please keep on with the updates. If you don't mind another suggestion, IF Moby will drink the water with 1 TEAspoonful of sugar per cup rather than a tablespoonful (a tablespoon contain 3 teaspoons and this is amount of sugar is really getting to be an excessive and usually unnecessary amount of extra sweetening!) it would be better, especially if he now expects to have sweetened water at all times. While sugar (and other sugar containing substances such as the molasses) have certain potential advantages, they also have certain potential disadvantages and the "bottom line" with using a sweetener in a situation such as Moby's serves only one purpose and it is not for nutritional support; it is to make his water more palatable and by doing so, entice him to drink it or drink more off it! The sweetener used (sugar, molasses, syrup or whatever) should be used at the minimum necessary to get him to drink his water and/or eat his food (BLOCKS!)! Also, please continue to have pure, clean, fresh and unsweetened water always available as this should be what Moby drinks when his appetite and activity level improves and he is once again back to or close to his usual self!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hi Sam - Yes, I made sure to also include another bowl of regular water, after he drank the one with the sugar, I switched it to regular and he came back and drank the unsweetned water

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

Diggie's Friend (04-21-2024)

Hi Sam - Yes, I made sure to also include another bowl of regular water, after he drank the one with the sugar, I switched it to regular and he came back and drank the unsweetned water
    Wonderful news, RamiS! Hi Moby!
    Regards,
    StS

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Diggie's Friend (04-21-2024)

So glad to see your boy sitting upright. What is blessing to see him up and eating again!

Recently a member's squirrel was found to have ingested some fabric fiber that showed up on X-ray. The material was removed by a surgeon from the stomach, so the fabric fibers wouldn't progress further to prevent a potential intestinal blockage.

Seeing what appears to be his work with the pulled out tufts of carpet next to his bed box; I would urge you for his safety to remove the carpet and replace it with the safer fleece fabric with the threaded edges removed.

Take care, DF

UPDATE -

I took him out of his bed box (he wansnt sleeping) and put him up on his tower to get some sun and enjoy the view. Then gave him a slice of Avocado (sorry Sam- just trying to keep him hydrated and fed) but I will not feed until later this evening likely another block broken down and into peanut butter. Here are some photos from a few minutes ago:

Name:  IMG_3756.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3758.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  81.9 KB

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

Grinderhead (04-21-2024), MyBushyTail (04-22-2024)

hi RamiS,

How is Moby behaving ?? He looks better but pictures are deceiving.

Mr.SSG

Hi RamiS,

I really hope there is something going on that is fixable and that Moby has many more years to spend with you, but it seems to me that he is just reaching the end of his allotted time. Maybe MBD tendencies are a part of that if as has been suggested, his ability to metabolize calcium diminishes with age, but I wouldn't rule out the idea that his body just doesn't want food much at this point. I have had many animals of advanced age and seen them cross the Bridge. When my own Mom was in her final months, she basically slowed down most functions and had little energy. We would give her what we considered the bare minimum of what we thought a sustaining food portion would be at a meal, and were almost alarmed when she'd eat a fraction of that amount and say she just didn't want any more. Her body was winding down.

We desperately want a "fix", and believe me I SO hope I'm wrong, but it must also needs to be considered, as StS said, that this is just Moby winding down. Of course you should do everything the experts are saying in case maybe he's just having age related nutrition issues, but also be prepared for what comes to us all. I would just spend as much time as possible, as you already are, being with him and giving him anything that will enhance the time he has left, like the tower time you mentioned, sleeping with you if that's what he wants, etc.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Chirps -

I'm deeply hurt and utterly dismayed by your words. I am acutely aware of the harsh realities of mortality; I didn't need a reminder. I reached out here seeking solace, seeking support, seeking anything to cling to amidst this storm. Yet instead of comfort, you offered only the cold specter of loss. If you cannot offer kindness, if you cannot offer hope, then I implore you, refrain from speaking at all.

I am truly sorry you took what I said the way you did, and that you felt what I said was cold. It was not meant to be. It was actually meant to be a reflection of sorts, about what is available to us as we deal with the possibility, even the probability, that we are soon to be parted from a dear one.

The fight to leave no measure unexplored as we seek to preserve life, but also the coming to terms with what we face, is one of the most difficult and human struggles I can think of. As I said before, I truly hope that someone here has a suggestion that will prove to be just what Moby needs to bounce back, but at the same time it occurs to me that just being there and interacting with him, reading his needs and wants and subtle or not so subtle cues that only you will know from spending a life with him will be the most important thing for him, and something you will hopefully be able to look back on with satisfaction and provide you with solace.

My greatest hope is that three years from now you are posting pics of Moby and I get to feel foolish for thinking a bout of feeling under the weather was more than that.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

22. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Diggie's Friend (04-22-2024), island rehabber (04-22-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-22-2024), Shellysfriend (04-22-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-22-2024), TubeDriver (04-22-2024)

UPDATE:

This morning, he came out, ate 80% of a block laced with PB, chewed on half a tum or little less, ate two snap peas, one small slice of avocado and a blueberry and drank his water as normal. Then back into the bunker, He spends 99% of the day in the bunker, He then came out to pee and pop, pee is good, pop looks good but not a lot (5-7 drops). I put him on the ground to get him to walk a little, he can walk and climb but something was off, he leans more on his right side but doesnt fall, I looked deeper but feeling around his body to see if there is a pain point, I got to the leg and it bothered him a little he pulled it away, so then had to force it, I felt the leg through the foot and found a PUMP between the leg and food (middle point) this was not felt on the other leg, I dont know if a picture will help but I am adding one and a video anyway.

Also another question, would giving him baby food be harmful in anyway? was thinking maybe it could help his bowl movement!

Name:  IMG_3762.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  68.5 KB

https://youtube.com/shorts/3EuDHiXpThY?feature=share

He may have taken a fall.

What is his current weight? You might want to give him some infant ibuprophen. If he suddenly perks up after a dose or two, you know that he is hurting someplace and your exam points to his leg.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    He may have taken a fall.

What is his current weight? You might want to give him some infant ibuprophen. If he suddenly perks up after a dose or two, you know that he is hurting someplace and your exam points to his leg.
    He is 605 grams

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast