Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9 Year old Moby HELP

Default Re: 9 Year old Moby HELP

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Sadly no. They are terrible, will never recommend them to anyone again. I think once the main vet they had that did Moby's surgary last year left, its down hell from there. I referred someone else to them a month ago and they almost put her squirrel down!!

So no STS, thats the only one I have
    Thanks RamiS! I had hoped for more films but if that is it, we'll of course need to make do with this lone film!

Dr. Emerson at Ravenwood Animal Clinic in Port Orange may be willing to look at the film. She is a Squirrel expert! Probably the best thing to do would be be write up a concise description of Moby's recent issues including exam findings, treatments, your concerns and questions along with what the other facility did and said and the email this to her along with the x-ray film! I would do this and then call the office to inform them that you sent this material and ask if Dr. Emerson would be willing to review this and make comments and recommendations. Here is a link to the Ravenwood website; https://ravenwoodvet.net and here is a link to their Contact Page which has their phone number and email; https://ravenwoodvet.net/contact/

Just for clarification, was the Veterinary Hospital that saw Moby for this most recent visit Summertree Animal and Bird Clinic in Dallas or if not, which facility was this? We have had a number of great reports about them in the past including one about Moby. I did not realize that their "Squirrel Vet" had departed but this obviously can mean the difference between success and failure. In the relatively rare Veterinary facility where Squirrels are seen; it is not unusual for there to be only one Vet in that clinic who sees Squirrels and is familiar with them and if that Vet leaves; ideally the facility should no longer see Squirrels or worse yet, use Squirrel patients as "experience builders!" At Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic where Dr. Emerson works; Dr. E is the only Vet there who sees Squirrels and they are quite up front and honest about this fact!

Again, please verify which facility this was so that those of us (IF Summertree, me included such as when Moby was had another medical issue) who have referred Squirrel Board Members there in the past or might consider doing so in the future; can reconsider against making further referrals to this facility!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thank you STS - I sent the email with all the details.

Yes, it is that clinic. Its very sad the previous vet is no longer there. The new one was very cold about the whole thing, worst part was the lack of attention to detail. I tracked down my old vet but sadly the new clinic she works at does not see squirrels, so now I am hoping to find a new one.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-18-2024)

Hello. I sent the email, called them this morning and sadly Dr Emereson is on vacation and wont be back until June.

Can anyone chime me on this and advise if I should give him the Melaxecom or not.

Hello. I sent the email, called them this morning and sadly Dr Emereson is on vacation and wont be back until June.

Can anyone chime me on this and advise if I should give him the Melaxecom or not.
    I did give him 0.1mg of Melaxecom this morning to see if he perks up!

Hi everyone, I keep leaning more and more that there maybe inflammation causing the decrease of activity. Would anyone mind showing his X-Ray to your trusted vet for an eval, I am happy to pay for the assessment. I just want to know if he should be on something like Melaxcom, I still have the one from the vet, havent used it. Thanks in Advance
    I did give him 0.1mg of Melaxecom this morning to see if he perks up!
    Hi RamiS:
    Just a quick question and comment as I am at work and have only a moment. By your talking about suspecting that it "inflammation causing the decrease of activity" and then hopefully getting Moby's x-ray film reviewed by a Vet; are you really implying that you feel that Moby has some sort of inflammatory arthritis that is causing so much discomfort that Moby hesitates to be active OR are you saying that Moby has some sort of generalized inflammatory response that results in fatigue or decreased energy?

Also, one of my concerns with administering any NSAID such as Meloxicam to a relatively senior Squirrel would be in consideration of the possibility of adverse effects which can be serious! Probably a single dose or rare dosing would minimize much of the inherent risks but adverse effects can definitely occur with even a single dose! Just be careful and my suggestion would be that if there is no prevailing rationale (basically a definitive diagnosis) for giving Moby NSAIDs, MHO would be to avoid them!

I'm sorry that Dr. E is away from her practice but in the past, she has at times, reviewed communications remotely! Hopefully she will do so and in that line of thought, if you are willing to call the office again, maybe you could ask them specifically to forward your materials with Moby's x-ray film to Dr. E's email address even though she is away!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456