Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: muchi’s baby squirrel found

Default Re: muchi’s baby squirrel found

we considered live trapping and i do have a have-a-heart trap. it’s just such an awkward spot where they are. us and the volunteers tried to figure something out but their location is just such a tough spot

Live trapping may be your only option at this point. My concern is that those babies have no nourishment up there except moss? Is there a way to somehow hang a basket or fix a tray of some kind with food on it that they can access from where they are? Maybe a lower window? I would hate to wait for all of them to come down on their own after they are debilitated by hunger and thirst for several days. That will make it harder to save them. Bless you for your persistence in trying to help them. : bowdown
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

astrll (04-12-2024), Charley Chuckles (04-12-2024), scoopysnack (04-12-2024)

you’re right and i would feel so much better if i could get them food. they looked hungry. they were also eating helicopter leaves.

what food do you suggest? the wildlife center said banana slices. i can maybe toss them up on the roof? i wish it wasn’t such a dangerous slant.

i’m really anxious for tomorrow. i desperately want to rescue all five of them. the weight of muchi’s passing is really heavy on my chest.

i’m open to any ideas. we’re going to try leaning a board or pipe against the dormer so they have a way down. it’s just a matter of where they are and if they can manage to come down. if they can just make it down one dormer to the one below it we could easily grab them.

i’m so frustrated it hurts so much. these kids deserved their brave mama.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astrll from:

scoopysnack (04-12-2024)

Try using some "smelly" food to lure them further down. I suggest peanut butter. It is HIGHLY scented and they have great sniffers, plus it is pretty much universally appealing to squirrels. None of mine have ever been interested in bananas. Peanut butter can even just be smeared onto the wood ramps you need to put up to give them a route down. It is nice in hav-a-hart traps too - I usually stick a half walnut or pecan down onto the trip lever with peanut butter "glue."

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

astrll (04-21-2024), scoopysnack (04-12-2024)

1/5 babies caught! currently eating some crushed hazelnuts. didn’t want the apple or banana. should i give water or will they aspirate? i don’t have a syringe

2/5 caught. one of them is hiccuping or sniffling a lot

Quote Originally Posted by astrll View Post
    1/5 babies caught! currently eating some crushed hazelnuts. didn’t want the apple or banana. should i give water or will they aspirate? i don’t have a syringe
    Just a tiny amount - just to cover the bottom of a bowl - they can lick it off.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

astrll (04-12-2024), scoopysnack (04-12-2024)

wildlife center said to remove food so i have. this video was before i did so - they’re eating some apple.

https://youtu.be/YBGhfhmD4M4?si=TbwuPyBYwy1Xn8vy

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astrll:

Diggie's Friend (04-22-2024), scoopysnack (04-12-2024)

they’re both covered in fleas but wildlife center to leave that be

they’re currently licking the dish i have of water drops and chewing it. they also keep trying to get out of the box. they’re on the warm side of the box and their bodies are warm

no sign of the other three yet. if we haven’t caught them in one to two hours, we’ll have the center pick up these two

i hear a suckling sound in the blankets. i don’t know if i can pull the blankets back or not. would it scare them?

4/5

5/5!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astrll from:

Chirps (04-21-2024)

headed to center. will be there in 20 mins now. they’re whining in the carrier is that okay? i have it covered with a towel. and it’s a hot day so the car is really warm. is there a chance they can overheat? they’re really dehydrated

Yeah, let them have some ventilation.

Congratulations!!

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

GREAT News!!!!!
    StS

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

astrll (04-12-2024)

👍🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

what a day. all six babies have been handed over to the center! they said moo is doing well and the other five had a ton of energy!

i won’t get updates on their progress but i requested that they be returned to us if possible. if it’s better that they be released elsewhere, i hope we can see them again.

they said they’ll probably be releasable in may/june. i will update later about how everything went down but phew! i’m exhausted.

when we got home we immediately had to clean and wash everything because they had so many fleas. i’m covered in bites!!! it will go down on its own right? pharmacist said go to urgent care but only after he heard that it was from squirrels. is that bias or solid advice?

Not to frighten you, but fleas do carry blood-borne illnesses. Most times, you're fine. Every once in a while, something can happen. Also, at least where we live in Northern Wisconsin, where there are fleas there are ticks. Most times, ticks are just a PITA. Sometimes, a bite can get you Lyme's Disease. The cost of a visit to urgent care would be dwarfed if you became seriously ill from the bites. The doc can check you out, give you something for the swelling and itching, and put your mind at ease. My vote would be for a trip to urgent care out your primary care physician.

How did you end up catching them all?

Jamie
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

astrll (04-21-2024), scoopysnack (04-13-2024)

Hello Astril,

First, I'm very sorry to read your post on Muchi passing. Its very obvious that Muchi and yourself were connected and she trust you so much. Taking her last breath on your balcony was her way of transferring motherhood of her babies to you knowing they all would be safe in your care. As the song goes, every ending is a new beginning. Muchi would be very proud of you!

Reading this post for Muchi's babies has been very exciting and brought tears to my eyes. Yourself along with many TSB Members and Rehab Center volunteers have pulled together to make the rescue a monumental success story. I'm so happy for you! As I said, Muchi would be very proud of you! All 5 babies of Muchi have been saved because you never gave up. Great work! You are one of my squirrel heroes with a gold star. Thank you very much.

As you noted in your posts, its a first time facing death. But in the end, you saved 5 babies life. I'm sure this experience will change you and you now have 5 reminders of Momma Muchi. Her spirit is guiding you in the right direction.

The Very Best to You,

Mr. SSG

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supersquirrelgirl:

astrll (04-21-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-12-2024), scoopysnack (04-13-2024)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast