Thread: Squirrel Acting Strangely

Kevinf2349 Guest

Default Squirrel Acting Strangely

Hello,

We live in Galveston County in Texas and we have squirrels that visit our live oak tree frequently. Usually they are very active (and very entertaining). Today while I was working in my yard I noticed a squirrel laying down on the top rail of the fence. Thinking it may have been stuck (as it sat there a long time) I went around the other side of the fence and touched it's foot. It moved along the fence but stayed there. It is still there and has been for hours now. Is this normal behaviour? I have tried to call local wildlife rescue but they are closed for the day. The recording said to call local police but I would rather not do that as they have much more important things to worry about. We are worried because we have a lot of cats that visit our yard (not our cats). I called a local vet and they advised me to call the wildlife folks.

Could it be rabid? Is it normal for squirrels to do this?

Regards
    Kevin

Default Re: Squirrel Acting Strangely

Hi and welcome! No it’s definitely not normal for a wild squirrel to let someone come up to it except for a few rare instances. I wouldn’t worry about rabies as there’s never been a reported case in squirrel’s. Unfortunately the police won’t be of any help either in these cases. A lot of states do have lists of rehabers that can help usually. I’ve found them in Wisconsin through the Department of Natural Resources website. Not sure if another member here would have a list for your area?

For the short term could you place a few nuts or bird seed and possibly a jar lid of water out on the fence ahead of him a ways?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...unty=Galveston
    I’m attempting to post a link, looks like there is a few options

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shellysfriend from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-29-2024)