Thread: How do I keep this baby wild?

Default How do I keep this baby wild?

We recently trimmed our front tree and a day and a half later I found a baby squirrel approaching me by my front bush. I left him be for the rest of the day, but no sign of mom. He had some small scrape injuries, so now I have a baby squirrel on my hands.

I cleaned the scrapes and they're nearly fully healed now. He weighed in at 163 grams initially and seemed to be about 6 weeks old. I got him on some Pedialyte, then homemade goats milk formula and now he's very happy with Fox Valley 20/50. Squirrel blocks coming in the mail for solid food tomorrow. I've had him about 3 days. He finally pooped yesterday, but it seemed a bit dry to me, so continuing with some Pedialyte between formula. It was a dark colored pellet and a bit sticky. Not exactly sure what healthy, hydrated squirrel poop should look like, so advice on that would be great.

I've only been handling him to feed him. Otherwise he's in his crate burrowed into a fleece blanket under the heating pad half. He seems content to sleep most of the time or quietly burrow around. He hasn't been chewing the cage or anything. Should he be more active?

I can't keep this little guy through to release. I'm happy to set my alarm for feedings every 4 hours, but beyond this stage, I don't have the cages and space he'll need as he gets more active. I've got a lot going on and won't have time to find a rehabber who can take him until next week. I'm very much wanting him to go be a wild squirrel again when he can, so any advice on what to do and not do to keep him from imprinting would be great. I'm not talking to him or petting, and trying to avoid eye contact.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: How do I keep this baby wild?

Super cutie! I believe pedialyte is only recommended for 24 hours due to the sodium content. After that if more hydration is needed, plain water or 1 cup of water with a 1/2 teaspoon of molasses or syrup just to sweeten it a bit. If you are finding a rehabber to take him shortly I wouldn’t be to worried about keeping him wild. He’ll do that on his own during the soft release process. Oh, and welcome to the squirrel board!

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shellysfriend:

CritterMom (03-21-2024), island rehabber (03-21-2024), WittyKitty (03-21-2024)

Thanks for the Pedialyte tip! I think he's feeling much better because he was a lot more active today, big speed increase, and noticable poop and pee on his bending. It smells very rodent-y. �� Any idea if corn syrup could be used in place of molasses? I'll try to look it up.

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't want to ruin this little guy's life. I already destroyed his home. ��

Working on finding a rehabber now, but of course it's a lot of left messages and waiting. I hope I can get him placed next week!

I think you’d be alright with the corn syrup.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shellysfriend from:

WittyKitty (03-21-2024)