Thread: 4 week old baby is barely producing any urine for days, possible UTI

Default 4 week old baby is barely producing any urine for days, possible UTI

I have a 4 week old who was in the incubator with his sister, who I think was suckling on him. His penis is not very swollen, but is pink/red at the end like it's cut a bit. I have separated them today, and he is on an antibiotic and pain med, also just started dosing him today. (I took him to the wildlife rehabber that I subpermittee for).

The issue is that it's been really hard getting him to pee, and I'm getting worried becuase he hasn't produced more than a few drops after stimulation, every feeding (every 4 hrs). He used to produce a stream of urine after each stimulation.

I've been wetting toilet paper in warm water and very gently dabbing the tip of his penis, over and over, sometimes fast and sometimes slow.. but inevitably he cries out in pain every time and after trying for a few minutes I just stop becuase I"m hurting him and no urine is coming out.

Please help, is there anything I can do to get him to urinate?

Default Re: 4 week old baby is barely producing any urine for days, possible UTI

Quote Originally Posted by kookoo_forbonbon View Post
    I have a 4 week old who was in the incubator with his sister, who I think was suckling on him. His penis is not very swollen, but is pink/red at the end like it's cut a bit. I have separated them today, and he is on an antibiotic and pain med, also just started dosing him today. (I took him to the wildlife rehabber that I subpermittee for).

The issue is that it's been really hard getting him to pee, and I'm getting worried becuase he hasn't produced more than a few drops after stimulation, every feeding (every 4 hrs). He used to produce a stream of urine after each stimulation.

I've been wetting toilet paper in warm water and very gently dabbing the tip of his penis, over and over, sometimes fast and sometimes slow.. but inevitably he cries out in pain every time and after trying for a few minutes I just stop becuase I"m hurting him and no urine is coming out.

Please help, is there anything I can do to get him to urinate?
    Hi Kookoo_forbonbon:
    What is your Squirrel's name? Sorry about his irritated penis!

First of all, please ensure that there is not a scab overlying the outlet of the penis. This can block drainage from the bladder and in a worst case scenario, the inability to drain urine can result in rupture of the bladder. Obviously that must be avoided!

If there is a scab, I would recommend gently soaking the baby's "bottom half" in warm water for about 15 minutes to allow some softening of the scab and hopefully you can gently remove it with the Squirrel experiencing only minimal or no discomfort. After the scab is removed, if there was one to begin with; very gently pat the penis dry with a tissue or make-up pad and then apply a thin coating of clear Bacitracin ointment (Bacitracin is an antibiotic) over the tip of the baby's penis.

If there was no scab, gently pat the tip of the penis with a tissue, make-up pad or similar that is saturated with warm water to clean that area and then do the same as if there had been a scab present (pat dry and apply the Bacitracin ointment). When stimulating the Baby to pee and poop, you can go over the penis and the nearby area just as you have been and using what you ordinarily use (applicator, tissue, make-up pad or whatever) but just AVOID going directly over the very tip of the penis. Stimulating up to the tip of the penis but not over it and around the genital area will probably be essential to ensure adequate stimulation to result in urination (and defecation)!

After each stimulation, gently pat dry and apply another thin coating of the Clear Bacitracin Ointment over the tip of the penis. The Bacitracin ointment with help protect the raw skin from further irritation and help promote healing! Although I like to use Clear Bacitracin Ointment and I am recommending its use; you could also use plain Petrolatum (Vaseline).

I would strongly recommend AGAINST using any other topical antibiotic and specifically NO use of neomycin and NO use of any preparation containing neomycin such as Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic! Neomycin is one of the most allergenic of topical antibiotics and can cause inflammation of the skin to the extent that it is often difficult to tell just by looking at it whether or not there is an infection. Swelling and further irritation of the penis could easily hinder flow of urine and must be avoided! I would recommend avoiding use of ointments or creams that contain neomycin and simply NEVER apply neomycin on the skin!

Please keep on with the updates!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Default Re: 4 week old baby is barely producing any urine for days, possible UTI

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Kookoo_forbonbon:
    What is your Squirrel's name? Sorry about his irritated penis!

First of all, please ensure that there is not a scab overlying the outlet of the penis. This can block drainage from the bladder and in a worst case scenario, the inability to drain urine can result in rupture of the bladder. Obviously that must be avoided!

If there is a scab, I would recommend gently soaking the baby's "bottom half" in warm water for about 15 minutes to allow some softening of the scab and hopefully you can gently remove it with the Squirrel experiencing only minimal or no discomfort. After the scab is removed, if there was one to begin with; very gently pat the penis dry with a tissue or make-up pad and then apply a thin coating of clear Bacitracin ointment (Bacitracin is an antibiotic) over the tip of the baby's penis.

If there was no scab, gently pat the tip of the penis with a tissue, make-up pad or similar that is saturated with warm water to clean that area and then do the same as if there had been a scab present (pat dry and apply the Bacitracin ointment). When stimulating the Baby to pee and poop, you can go over the penis and the nearby area just as you have been and using what you ordinarily use (applicator, tissue, make-up pad or whatever) but just AVOID going directly over the very tip of the penis. Stimulating up to the tip of the penis but not over it and around the genital area will probably be essential to ensure adequate stimulation to result in urination (and defecation)!

After each stimulation, gently pat dry and apply another thin coating of the Clear Bacitracin Ointment over the tip of the penis. The Bacitracin ointment with help protect the raw skin from further irritation and help promote healing! Although I like to use Clear Bacitracin Ointment and I am recommending its use; you could also use plain Petrolatum (Vaseline).

I would strongly recommend AGAINST using any other topical antibiotic and specifically NO use of neomycin and NO use of any preparation containing neomycin such as Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic! Neomycin is one of the most allergenic of topical antibiotics and can cause inflammation of the skin to the extent that it is often difficult to tell just by looking at it whether or not there is an infection. Swelling and further irritation of the penis could easily hinder flow of urine and must be avoided! I would recommend avoiding use of ointments or creams that contain neomycin and simply NEVER apply neomycin on the skin!

Please keep on with the updates!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thanks Sam! Luckily there is no scab. I will try stimulating everywhere except the tip and see if that works. Also thank you for the suggestion on using bacitracin. The rehab is having me topically apply silver sulfiadazine, but I will try the bacitracin if this doesn't improve.
    I just feel so bad for him and I dread his feeding times now just because I can't stand to hear him cry and hate hurting him.

Thanks Sam! Luckily there is no scab. I will try stimulating everywhere except the tip and see if that works. Also thank you for the suggestion on using bacitracin. The rehab is having me topically apply silver sulfiadazine, but I will try the bacitracin if this doesn't improve.
    I just feel so bad for him and I dread his feeding times now just because I can't stand to hear him cry and hate hurting him.
    Hello again Kookoo_forbonbon:
    One of the reasons I mentioned the Bacitracin ointment is that Bacitracin is an antibiotic as most people would prefer using an antibiotic in a case such as this and the Bacitracin has a very low likelihood of causing an allergic or hypersensitivity reaction in the skin. Neosporin poses a very high risk for this! BUT, it is really the protection and fostering of healing that the Ointment itself offers by acting as a barrier and that is why I also mention using just plain Petrolatum which will provide all of the physical benefits the Bacitracin ointment offers, just without an antibiotic.

One problem with Silvadene is that it is a cream, not an ointment (at least I am not aware of an ointment containing Silvadene) and a cream does not have the same ability to coat and protect an irritated area in a squirming baby Squirrel who needs frequent stimulation of the same general area. Silvadene cream is used for burns of animals and humans but this is fine in that environment. What I would recommend for your Squirrel is a preparation that would serve as a physical barrier over the irritated region and an ointment is simply better at accomplishing this (just my half-cent's worth!).
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I would try the soaking thing that Sam recommended with one addition - the scab can form inside the urethra where it will not be visible to you. Dangle his bottom half in warm water as long as you can, washing all of the creams and stuff off as well. Remove him from the water and soak up as much of the water with some paper towels, then very, very carefully, hold the little penis between your thumb and forefinger and roll it back and forth between your fingers. Be very careful, but this can break up and scabbing inside that can then be flushed out when he pees. You want to do it with the penis clean and dry so you can feel what you are doing.

So I just tried the stimulation of surrounding area and... nothing. No pee. I am really getting worried... any other suggestions from anyone?

Thank you CritterMom... Dang, I can't believe that's even a possibility. Shoot! I will try that as well if I can handle it. lol

So I just tried the stimulation of surrounding area and... nothing. No pee. I am really getting worried... any other suggestions from anyone?

Thank you CritterMom... Dang, I can't believe that's even a possibility. Shoot! I will try that as well if I can handle it. lol
    Hello again Kookoo_forbonbon: This little guy is going though a lot! I didn't realize that this was the same Squirrel with the protruding eye.

I would suggest trying what CM has suggested.

Have you made any changes to this little Squirrel's feeding schedule or amount of formula given with each feeding? Does his lower abdomen appear distended (pushed out) or does the skin over the lower abdomen appear or feel taught? I am wondering if the bladder is full. It would be important to determine this because this would be a pretty definitive sign of his retaining urine which is obviously not good! If the abdomen is soft and you can't really feel any evidence of a full bladder, it may be that he just needs some more fluids and I would try this.

Another thing I would like to suggest is that in light of these particular circumstances with this Squirrel; that you try a different method of stimulation. I would like to suggest using a large cotton tipped applicator (or even a regular size applicator if that's all you have) and thoroughly saturate the cotton with with WARM water and use that for stimulation. Mother Squirrel's tongue more resembles an applicator than a relatively flimsy tissue and consider utilizing an applicator to do the stimulation. Obviously you shouldn't be directing the force inward on the abdomen but just do your regular stimulation routine. The applicator will tend to concentrate the slight forces you are applying to the abdomen just like Mom's tongue would be doing. Just give this method of stimulation a try and see if it helps.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Silly question, but is he taking in enough formula to have anything to pee out? Are you feeding 5 to 7% of his body weight at each feeding? At 4 weeks old you can sometimes still see a milk line--is it across his upper abdomen, and is his tummy round but not hard, like a day old balloon? He's got to be drinking enough in order to be peeing. Just thought I'd ask.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Silly question, but is he taking in enough formula to have anything to pee out? Are you feeding 5 to 7% of his body weight at each feeding? At 4 weeks old you can sometimes still see a milk line--is it across his upper abdomen, and is his tummy round but not hard, like a day old balloon? He's got to be drinking enough in order to be peeing. Just thought I'd ask.
    Thanks IR! That was considered a possibility and the question was asked but not yet answered;
    "Have you made any changes to this little Squirrel's feeding schedule or amount of formula given with each feeding? Does his lower abdomen appear distended (pushed out) or does the skin over the lower abdomen appear or feel taught? I am wondering if the bladder is full. It would be important to determine this because this would be a pretty definitive sign of his retaining urine which is obviously not good!

If the abdomen is soft and you can't really feel any evidence of a full bladder, it may be that he just needs some more fluids and I would try this
    ."

StS

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

island rehabber (03-16-2024)

I’m not sure if this was suggested but coconut oil rubbed into the penis can also loosen any scab and helps soothe the penis. Have you separated them so there is no longer any suckling going on?

I had this happen with one of my squirrels and his penis actually expanded as he was trying to urinate. I had to gently sqeeeze it to express the urine because of a slight internal scab. Warm water soaks helped.

Update on my little problem child... he seems to be doing better! Produced more urine today during and between feedings and didn't cry out in pain. Also the tip of his penis looks less inflamed. And to the person who asked, I have been feeding him 7% of his body weight (fox valley), but now I'm adding a mL or two of pedialyte between feedings just to flush out his system a little.
    I will try to continue the warm water soaks with coconut oil as well!
    Anyway, I'm thinking this might be a UTI since he improved after a day of meds. I am going to keep up the meds, pedialyte, and warm water soaks...and will keep the babies separated.

Don't give pedialyte longer than 24 hours. If you feel he needs additional hydration, use plain water or water with a tiny dash of sugar. Pedialyte has sodium and he doesn't need that.

Update on my little problem child... he seems to be doing better! Produced more urine today during and between feedings and didn't cry out in pain. Also the tip of his penis looks less inflamed. And to the person who asked, I have been feeding him 7% of his body weight (fox valley), but now I'm adding a mL or two of pedialyte between feedings just to flush out his system a little.
    I will try to continue the warm water soaks with coconut oil as well!
    Anyway, I'm thinking this might be a UTI since he improved after a day of meds. I am going to keep up the meds, pedialyte, and warm water soaks...and will keep the babies separated.
    Hi Kookoo_forbonbon:
    Thanks for the update and it sounds like there is some very significant improvements among which is that he is peeing in peace! I have an additional suggestion since you mentioned using Pedialyte. I agree that giving some extra hydration between feedings would be an acceptable option but I would recommend using just plain water with possibly some sweetener mixed with it as your hydration fluid rather than Pedialyte. For sweetening of the water (if this is necessary or desired), I would recommend adding 1 teaspoonful of molasses (my preference) or syrup to a cup of warm (same temperature as the formula your little Squirrel is drinking).

Pedialyte has particular advantages for use in certain situations but it is important to realize that Pedialyte and similar solutions contain a very high concentration of electrolytes such as sodium, chloride and the like. Your Squirrel is not losing an appreciable amount of electrolytes such as he probably would if he had profuse diarrhea and adding the electrolytes contained in the Pedialyte to the electrolytes already contained in the formula and the electrolyte already present in his little body may potentially result in an excessive concentration of electrolytes.

For most problems necessitating rehydration such as not having had a recent source of fluids (for instance a baby fallen from the tree and away from mom) or as a source for additional fluids between regular feedings of formula; plain water is the best and safest hydrating solution!

Please keep on with your updates and and again, I am so glad to hear about the signs of improvement!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Sorry CM, it looks as if we posted at the very same time!
    StS

Hi all,
    He just passed this morning. I honestly thought he was doing better and then he seemed to decline rapidly, getting super lethargic, not even being able to take any milk or swallow. I don't know if it had anything to do with the meds being too much for his system or if it was something I did, or if this couldn't have been avoided.... I wish I knew what happened so I could avoid this again. Maybe it was the pedialyte based on the recent comment. Ugh, I honestly thought he was on the up and up. I'm so sad right now. He died right next to my chest, wrapped up in soft blankets and nestled in my robe.

I'm so sorry 😔
    Please don't beat yourself up you did your best and sometimes no matter what we do we can't fix them.
    You gave him the love and safety to pass to the rainbow bridge 🌈
    God speed little one🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your little Squirrel! You did all that you could for him and you bestowed love upon him! Love is the rarest of gifts a wild animal can ever receive! He passed, close to you and knowing and feeling your love and warmth! You did nothing wrong Kookoo_forbonbon! Please don't cast blame upon yourself although we all tend to blame ourselves when these losses occur! Most often, we never know what really was really going on and these sad events always take a toll on us! You will always have the memories of your baby Squirrel and hopefully, when another opportunity to care for a Squirrel in need might present itself to you, you will accept it! That's not much comfort but you are not alone! Please don't be harsh on yourself and I wish peace for you soon!

RIP Little Squirrel!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thank you Sam and Charley, I appreciate the kind words so much.

Aw, I'm so sorry - I, too, expected a good update today.