Thread: Please HELP Marshmallow

Default Please HELP Marshmallow

Marshmallow is his name. We got 4 babies at about 2-3 days old. 2 of them passed very quickly. The other 2 were bigger to begin with. My girl passed away 2 days ago after I noticed they had stopped gaining weight. I research so much that night to find I needed to go back to only Pedialyte. Upon the first feeding of just pedialyte I was to late and she didn’t make it through the night. The last surviving boy is NOT DOING WELL AT ALL!!!I honestly didn’t think he would make it past his sister by very long!!! I noticed the clicking when he breaths last night! He should be close to 2 weeks old now and only weighs 16 grams. He won’t drink just the pedialyte so I literally colored it with puppy formula just to give a little flavor. He is still urinating before and after feedings but hasn’t pooped now in about 6 hours. I will be heading to the place where I think I can get antibiotics (Bombgars) in the morning… I can’t help but feel guilty because he looks awful but is fighting like hell! Which in turn makes me keep fighting harder and harder to save him!!! He won’t eat off of a nipple either. I drip a drop onto my hand and he licks it up… I lightly bugger suck his nose after he eats because I’m pretty sure if he did aspirate that’s how it happened… I have the feeling something happened to mama either at birth or right after. 2 babies were so small and sickly looking and the 2 strong ones started thriving at first! My kids and I are so attached to this little man and don’t want to lose him but I cry just looking at him! He has fought so hard!

PS I did find amoxicillin 875MG…

Default Re: Please HELP Marshmallow

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey989lc View Post
    Marshmallow is his name. We got 4 babies at about 2-3 days old. 2 of them passed very quickly. The other 2 were bigger to begin with. My girl passed away 2 days ago after I noticed they had stopped gaining weight. I research so much that night to find I needed to go back to only Pedialyte. Upon the first feeding of just pedialyte I was to late and she didn’t make it through the night. The last surviving boy is NOT DOING WELL AT ALL!!!I honestly didn’t think he would make it past his sister by very long!!! I noticed the clicking when he breaths last night! He should be close to 2 weeks old now and only weighs 16 grams. He won’t drink just the pedialyte so I literally colored it with puppy formula just to give a little flavor. He is still urinating before and after feedings but hasn’t pooped now in about 6 hours. I will be heading to the place where I think I can get antibiotics (Bombgars) in the morning… I can’t help but feel guilty because he looks awful but is fighting like hell! Which in turn makes me keep fighting harder and harder to save him!!! He won’t eat off of a nipple either. I drip a drop onto my hand and he licks it up… I lightly bugger suck his nose after he eats because I’m pretty sure if he did aspirate that’s how it happened… I have the feeling something happened to mama either at birth or right after. 2 babies were so small and sickly looking and the 2 strong ones started thriving at first! My kids and I are so attached to this little man and don’t want to lose him but I cry just looking at him! He has fought so hard!

Thank you for finding The Squirrel Board! Lacey989lc:

Are you near a Squirrel Rehabber? I know it's late but that would be the very best means for this baby to survive. IF you do intend to care for this little one yourself, there are certain things that MUST be done and in a certain order when a new baby is taken in. I know that you have had this Little One for some time but I would start as if he just got there!

Are you hearing this clicking with every breath throughout the day? Does he open his mouth wide and seeming to gulp air with each breath? This is an ominous sign! Do you have antibiotics or are you going to get them "in the morning?"

I have put some information below for Baby Squirrel care but I just want to start with the facts that babies must first be warmed, then they must be rehydrated if necessary and in most cases, a baby that is found IS dehydrated is because they get their water and nutrition from mother's milk! Pedialyte is NOT the same as water! Please STOP the Pedialyte immediately. Pedialyte has a very high concentration of electrolytes (basically salt) and what the baby needs is water and then needs appropriate formula! I suspect that this baby is now profoundly dehydrated and needs plain water immediately! He must be warmed first, then given the water (warm water around 104 degrees mixed with a teaspoon of molasses or syrup added to a measured cup of water).

The amounts of Formula must be given based upon the weight of the baby obtained before the first feeding of the day and the baby should get 5%-7% of his weight in grams (from a digital scale) in milliliters of Formula. As an example only; if your Squirrel weighed 100 grams in the morning before his first feeding, he should get 5-7 milliliters of formula at each feeding that day. See the "cheat sheets" below for amounts and frequency of feeding.

Please go the Links placed below to Henry's Website for the care and feeding of a Baby Squirrel!

What is the puppy formula you are using? I would suggest getting Esbilac Puppy Milk powder (it must be the powder, not the liquid) and this is mixed 2 parts water to 1 part Esbilac. It must be mixed thoroughly and then left to sit for several (around 4 -6 but overnight in the refrigerator is best) hours for the powder to become fully suspended in the water. The Esbilac powder should be kept in a cool spot and any mixed Esbilac should be kept refrigerated and disposed of after 24 hours. The Esbilac can be found at Petsmart or other pet supply stores. Until you get this, you can make the Homemade Goats Milk Formula that Henry's mentions in the Care Guide. The formula should be very warm but NOT hot! Around 104 Degrees is fine! You do NOT need to suck out his nose after feeding this has the potential to damage delicate tissues and it also sucks out air that was destined to go into the lungs! He must be held upright and have his formula given drop by drop from a 1cc syringe WITHOUT a needle. Ideally he should have a specialized infant animal nipple but the end of the syringe will work. The syringe should be pointed upward toward the roof of the baby's mouth. After feeding, the baby will need to be stimulated urinate and defecate using a tissue, applicator or make-up pad over the genital region.

When Pedialyte is used frequently or as the only hydrating solution, the baby will not be getting the plain water which is what he needs and he will actually become more dehydrated and his electrolyte concentrati0on inside his body will increase and these can and will lead to death if not immediately reversed. Further, when Pedialyte or other electrolyte rehydrating solutions are used, they should NEVER be mixed with the babies formula as this changes the electrolyte concentrations of both solutions and the Pedialyte can cause physical changes in the formula such as clumping!

There are certain things that must be done when you find a Baby Squirrel and I'll mention these but I would recommend transferring the care of this Squirrel to a Rehabber experienced in raising Baby Squirrels and who will agree to raise the Baby to release and will NOT euthanize him! This does happen. Please ask the Rehabber specifically. Some of our members may know of a trusted Rehabber near where you live if you can be a little more specific as to you location in Michigan while still maintaining anonymity.

There certain steps that are necessary follow for the immediate care of a new found Baby Squirrel! I am going to mention these but I am also posting a link to the Henry's Pets Baby Squirrel Care Guide. The owner of Henry's is also a member of The Squirrel Board! It will only be the first 3 pages of the 6 total pages that will be a concern for you right now. The only issue that I must caution you against in regard to the guidelines from Henry's is when they mention use of Fox Valley Formula 32/40; IGNORE the recommendation for using 32/40! They have not yet updated the Guide but many of our members have had serious problems result from using this particular formula with pinkies (the very young, hairless babies)! Here is the link to Henry's Baby Squirrel Care Guide: https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Caring for a Baby Squirrel that you have just found must include providing several specific necessities in a certain order!

1) The Baby must be warmed. Warming must be accomplished before fluids or food/formula are utilized. Ideally, a plastic bin with air holes cut in the top should be used to hold the Baby. The bottom of the bin should be covered with several layers of Fleece or Flannel, NOT towels or washcloths. The little ones get the claws caught in these! An always on (no automatic shut-off) heating pad should be placed under the bottom of the plastic bin. It should be put on the Lowest Heat. Usually, the heating pad is placed under half of the bin so that the baby can move to the edge or even off the pad to regulate his his temperature. Babies under 5 weeks of age are incapable of regulating their body temperature! Once the Baby is warmed, you can go to Step 2 which is Rehydration.

2) Rehydration. It can be assumed that any new found Baby Squirrel is at least somewhat dehydrated and often profoundly dehydrated. Many people use Pedialyte or similar rehydrating solution (Never use Gatorade or any of the so-called sports drinks) but in most cases, using warm water mixed with a sweetener such as molasses or syrup (1 cup warm water with 1 Teaspoonful of sweetener) will work fine. With your Squirrel, the Pedialyte must be stopped now! The water should be warmed to 100-105 degrees Fahrenheit and administered via a 1cc syringe. The Squirrel should he held upright and the syringe pointed to the roof of the mouth. The fluids should be given gently drop by drop. Care must be taken to prevent the fluid from going into the lungs (aspiration) which can cause some serious problems. The next step is feeding.

3) Feeding is started only after the Baby is warmed and rehydrated! Ideally, the Baby should be weighed accurately with a digital scale in grams as the amount of formula for each feeding is based upon this weight which should be updated every morning before the first feeding of the day.

Please see the Care Guide from Henry's immediately. It is a quick and concise read!

Please get started warming the Baby, read the first 3 pages of Henry's Guide to Baby Squirrel Care, answer the questions and post any other comments you would like make, ask any new questions that may have come to mind, and upload photos.

Here are links to some Squirrel Board Feeding guides as to amounts and frequency of feedings:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1683845752

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...6&d=1683845745

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I'm sorry I missed your name, Marshmallow! It's in the title of your thead but I guess I started reading before I noticed who this was about! Welcome to you, Marshmallow! I wish you the best, little Squirrel!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey989lc View Post

I hate to ask more questions, but...

Please check your pill carefully - there are also pill identifiers online you can use. Is it plain Amoxicillin or is it Amoxicillin Clavulanate? They may sound the same but are very different, with different dosing. See if something on the label indicates "875/125mg"

Hi Lacey989lc. How is Marshmallow doing?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel