Thread: One week feeding schedule

Default One week feeding schedule

Hi, I have two one week old baby greys. I'm feeding them every 3 hours 24 hours. My question is this right! I give them both around 0.5ml of formula in each feeding. Any help would be amazing I'm brand new to this!

Default Re: One week feeding schedule

Honestly, (and BTW, Welcome!) that sounds less than they should be taking. Babies this tiny should truly be with an experienced squirrel rehabilitator in order to get their best chance at survival. Can we help you find one in your area?

Not sure where you got the .5 but I rehab a lot of neonates and even they take almost 1.0 from the beginning. You've got to weigh your babies with a gram scale. Once you have their weights, they should be taking a MINIMUM of 5% of their body weight at each feeding, and a MAXimum of 7% to start. So, if a baby weighs 20 grams you would feed a minimum of 1.0ml (5%) to a max of 1.5. Watch their poops; they should do both urine & poop after every feeding, as you are stimulating them. (Hope you're doing that, yes?)

If you overfeed them their poop will become mushy and pale in color; so long as they are formed and gold-olive colored things are good.

My best advice right now is to go to try to find a rehabber who has pinky squirrel experience. In the meantime, go to the Henrys Healthy Pets (www.henryspets.com) website and click on "Found a Baby Squirrel": it is extremely easy to follow and the advice is perfect. But stay with us and let us help you help these sweeties the best way possible!

NOTE: Oh damn, you are in the UK, aren't you.....and these are grey babies. I get the picture! We will help you with these little ones because finding a rehabber for them is near imposible. Sorry for not seeing that immediately!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '