Thread: 4 month olds with sticky, stinky poop

Default 4 month olds with sticky, stinky poop

I am overwintering two 4.5 month old fox squirrels that have suddenly developed very sticky, very smelly, lighter colored poop. Their diet consists of 2-3 Picky blocks or Walnut blocks daily, along with a mix of baby greens, sugar snap peas, bok choy, acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, carrots, grapes, blueberries, and wild foods like pine cones, small tree limbs, grass and leaves. Pecans in the shell a few times per week. They are to go outside for soft release in a few weeks. I am considering ordering Bene-Bac or LA-200 from Henry's based on some of the posts I've read on here. Any input, assistance, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: 4 month olds with sticky, stinky poop

Nix the grass.

Can you post a picture of their poo.. gross I know, but invaluable in helping you. Is the smell a sickly sweet smell or terrible smell like "death itself"?

Does the poo kids of resemble the children's play stuff called "Slime"?
    Squirrel Advocate

Thank you for the reply, I will get a pic of the poop shortly when they get lunch and try to upload it. I will stop giving grass, may I ask the reason? It is not a sickly sweet smell, and not the worst thing I've ever smelled either, maybe pungent and almost chemical-like? Up til now, their poops have been hard and dry with no smell. They also seem to maybe be pooping more today, which makes me wonder if I'm overfeeding?

Here is a photo of lunchtime poop. It is stil formed but very sticky and wet-looking. Doesn't look like children's "slime" to me though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SquidgeMom View Post
    I will stop giving grass, may I ask the reason?

Grasses and hays ("forage") is generally eaten by "hind-gut fermenters" which means they have very specialized digestive systems able to break down the complex carbohydrates in grasses. Like a cow and it's four-stomachs. Horses, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils and hamsters are all hind gut fermenters... but not squirrels.

This is why we are constantly telling folks the rabbit/hamster/gerbil foods sold in pet stores is not appropriate for squirrels.

Squirrels *might* eat some tender new shoots or roots if they don't have a lot of other choices, but grass is not routine in their diets. This is tree squirrels... grounds squirrels may include more grasses in their diet than tree squirrels, but again it typically is not a first choice or a large part of their diet.

And dried out grass can be hard on their system if they eat it..
    Squirrel Advocate

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Charley Chuckles (02-25-2024)

It is a little off but not too bad... could just be something they ate and it will pass. Let us know if it worsens though.

This type of lose stool can happen if the veggies are not washed well... not everyone washes their veggies. I use 50% white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray everything down, let is sit a bit and rinse really well.

Also make sure the things being brought in from outdoors are not things that have been sprayed with fungicides, insecticides, herbicides... no -cides at all.

The chemical smell makes me wonder if it is one of these two things?
    Squirrel Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Grasses and hays ("forage") is generally eaten by "hind-gut fermenters" which means they have very specialized digestive systems able to break down the complex carbohydrates in grasses. Like a cow and it's four-stomachs. Horses, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils and hamsters are all hind gut fermenters... but not squirrels.

This is why we are constantly telling folks the rabbit/hamster/gerbil foods sold in pet stores is not appropriate for squirrels.

Squirrels *might* eat some tender new shoots or roots if they don't have a lot of other choices, but grass is not routine in their diets. This is tree squirrels... grounds squirrels may include more grasses in their diet than tree squirrels, but again it typically is not a first choice or a large part of their diet.

And dried out grass can be hard on their system if they eat it..
    Thank you for the info! Knowledge is power, and I want to do right by them. I very much appreciate all of the folks on this board!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquidgeMom from:

Charley Chuckles (02-25-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    It is a little off but not too bad... could just be something they ate and it will pass. Let us know if it worsens though.

This type of lose stool can happen if the veggies are not washed well... not everyone washes their veggies. I use 50% white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray everything down, let is sit a bit and rinse really well.

Also make sure the things being brought in from outdoors are not things that have been sprayed with fungicides, insecticides, herbicides... no -cides at all.

The chemical smell makes me wonder if it is one of these two things?
    Sorry, I missed this reply earlier. I will start washing their veggies with the white vinegar solution. I am very cautious about what I bring in from outside for them, one of my biggest fears is accidentally poisoning them with a pesticide from outside. Again, I appreciate your help!