Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello I'm new here

Default Re: Hello I'm new here

This is the most happy thread anyone could want to read on their favorite squirrel site ��
    It is truly a story of people who faced a road they hadn't traveled before, but because of love and intelligence they are just -- as everyone seems to be saying now-- "crushing it"

Bless you and Hamy❤️��️❤️ and thank you for sharing him with us.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 01-18-2024 at 09:47 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Still having trouble with pics so I'll have to work on it 😉
    Yeah it took me a while to figure out how to upload more than one image... I cheated... I got my hubby to show me....he's bits and bytes...he's a tech guy
    Hamy just went to his cage. I do have to say since the highway is up he doesn't want to go to sleep anymore...
    We improved it a bit but there's still plenty to do to make it cosy.
    We have Hamy in our bedroom. Unfortunately the only place where people won't see him. Plus the original idea was to release Hamy... but so far it looks more like he wants to stay. If he changes his mind that's perfectly ok with us as well. We just want him to be happy wherever he chooses to be. Don't get me wrong I love the wee dude to the max but that means for me to except whatever the wee braveheart wants to do. Like I said before we all only have this one life... we all need to make the best of it. Even a golden cage is still a cage...
    Oh and we got good news today. Teklad 2018 is scheduled to arrive this Friday afternoon I'm so glad when Hamy gets proper nutrition...
    I'll upload the images of the Hamy highway. It goes around all 4 walls in our bedroom. The upside-down hat is made of bavarian felt. The red colour is a natrual dye. I used braided beech tweets to hold the hat in form and tied it up with 100% jute string.
    The branches you'll see is beech and sycamore. I did cut them myself in a forest so I know they're ok for Hamy. He got some of them in his cage as well. We go foraging regularly to source pinecones, bark and wood from the forest he came from. I figured if Hamy wants to go back to the area he's from we might as well get his stuff from the area. There's even a wee burn (little river) going along his forest. I'll get the river rocks from there. How big do they have to be?
    Again I wrote half a book... sorry for that... I don't mean to bore or annoy you all. I just never had rescued a squirrel. Hamy, my hubby and I are more than thankful for you alls input. We defo need your help. Hamy deserves the best life ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Spectacular work. A paradise for Hamy. As it is set up, it looks quite like art. What is equally cool is that the three of you did it together as a labor of love. It is remarkable that one of you qualified for the supervisor position at such a young age. Does Hamy have his Union card yet? Surely one of the more satisfying and memorable stories told. Hamy is a handsome kid and he looks bright, curious, and happy. You guys rock!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    This is the most happy thread anyone could want to read on their favorite squirrel site 😄
    It is truly a story of people who faced a road they hadn't traveled before, but because of love and intelligence they are just -- as everyone seems to be saying now-- "crushing it"

Bless you and Hammy❤️🐿️❤️ and thank you for sharing him with us.
    Thank you so much for you're kind words! We're so glad to have found this lovely, caring forum. Everybody is so nice and helpful. ....and we do need help. Hamy had it rough enough.. he defo deserves the best life ever.... wherever he chooses to live will be fine with us ❤

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    Spectacular work. A paradise for Hamy. As it is set up, it looks quite like art. What is equally cool is that the three of you did it together as a labor of love. It is remarkable that one of you qualified for the supervisor position at such a young age. Does Hamy have his Union card yet? Surely one of the more satisfying and memorable stories told. Hamy is a handsome kid and he looks bright, curious, and happy. You guys rock!

Jamie
    Hiya Jamie
    Yeah it was such a surprise to us that Hamy wanted to get involved. We we're really worried about the loud noises Hamy would have to bear... but our wee braveheart wanted to be part of the gang.... afterall it's his highway... he had to make sure everything is build properly 😉 I have to say we have Hamy out of his cage as soon as we are home.... Hamy just comes along whatever we do. The only time he's not allowed in the kitchen is when we are cooking. Hamy is my shadow.... he is really curious, borderline nosy.... and whatever I have Hamy wants. Good thing nobody can see us.... Hamy either sits on my shoulder or sits in my hand.... I'm his climbing frame, his play and cuddle pal, he hides his nuts on me and sometimes I'm his mom. I get cuddled and cleaned, my hair gets rearranged and I have to share my camomile tea... my hubby is the play pal who gets cuddled once in a while and is a great climbing frame. New jumps get tested on both of us. Hamy also likes to hide... he thinks it's the bees knees to jump on us from the top of a door... he loves to check the veg and fruit in the kitchen... yeah and sometimes he tries to run off with things they're not for his consumption. He loves to "steal" my hubbies baguette.... he never takes a bite... he just runs off with it knowing my hubby will chase him ... we all are happy to have each other.... and we sure enjoy each others company. Love can conquer the world ❤

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Icemouse from:

TomahawkFlyers (01-18-2024)

We got the Teklad 2018 delivered at 2pm... I have to admit I was a bit worried how Hamy would react.... again this wee dude is a champ....
    We opened the parcel together (Hamy loves arriving parcels) I cut the bag open while Hamy was already sniffing it out. I opened it and offered Hamy to look inside.... he seriously grabbed one block, sat on my arm and ate half of it... the rest got stored at my neck... under my ponytail... so I offered him another block.... he took a few bites and stashed it away but then had a change of mind.... he took it out again .... took another few bites and hid it again..... our wee dude loves them!!!!
    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THAT GREAT ADVISE!!!!! Hamy is a happy camper...and thanks to you all a healthy camper as well... Hamy sends his love and a big thank you!!!
    next project... bigger cage for Hamy.... but that has to wait a few days. Hamy is still getting used to his highway... and it's not finished yet... but we all have fun working on it... how lucky are we that we found each other.... ❤️ 😍
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’m so glad Hamy likes them. They are 100% nutritionally complete. It is the diet for lab rats, so each block is totally the same and complete. You can leave them available for him to eat all the time.

Icemouse. you must be related to Dr. Seuss. From the first word you write to the very last, I wear a big grin and have a great blast. BTW - No squirrel in the world is borderline nosey. They are all just plain nosey!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    Hiya Jamie
    Yeah it was such a surprise to us that Hamy wanted to get involved. We we're really worried about the loud noises Hamy would have to bear... but our wee braveheart wanted to be part of the gang.... afterall it's his highway... he had to make sure everything is build properly 😉 I have to say we have Hamy out of his cage as soon as we are home.... Hamy just comes along whatever we do. The only time he's not allowed in the kitchen is when we are cooking. Hamy is my shadow.... he is really curious, borderline nosy.... and whatever I have Hamy wants. Good thing nobody can see us.... Hamy either sits on my shoulder or sits in my hand.... I'm his climbing frame, his play and cuddle pal, he hides his nuts on me and sometimes I'm his mom. I get cuddled and cleaned, my hair gets rearranged and I have to share my camomile tea... my hubby is the play pal who gets cuddled once in a while and is a great climbing frame. New jumps get tested on both of us. Hamy also likes to hide... he thinks it's the bees knees to jump on us from the top of a door... he loves to check the veg and fruit in the kitchen... yeah and sometimes he tries to run off with things they're not for his consumption. He loves to "steal" my hubbies baguette.... he never takes a bite... he just runs off with it knowing my hubby will chase him ... we all are happy to have each other.... and we sure enjoy each others company. Love can conquer the world ❤

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m so glad Hamy likes them. They are 100% nutritionally complete. It is the diet for lab rats, so each block is totally the same and complete. You can leave them available for him to eat all the time.
    I looked it up already. Not great that we still use lab animals.... but the blocks are perfect. I was always worried if Hamy got the proper nutrition the way we fed him. Now I know he is going to have a properly balanced diet.
    It's really difficult to find good advise where we are. There are so many stories and false information. It's difficult to filter through it.... especially when one becomes a squirrel "mom" within minutes.... and never raised a squirrel before....
    Thank you so much for that great advise.
    Can't wait to see Hamy thrive on his new food.

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    Icemouse. you must be related to Dr. Seuss. From the first word you write to the very last, I wear a big grin and have a great blast. BTW - No squirrel in the world is borderline nosey. They are all just plain nosey!

Jamie
    Hiya Jamie, I love to write about Hamy. He amazes me to the max. As our paths met I just knew I wanted to save his wee life. We both didn't have experience with each others kind.... but we grew together really quickly. Hamy trusted me and I trusted him. The first few days and nights were critical. Hamy lived on me... he had quite a few fleas.... after the third day and night I was covered from top to bottom in flea bites....at night Hamy got out of the sling I was carying him about and just wandered up and down on me in his sleep. We did get rid of the fleas within 5 days.... I guess the wee vampires didn't like my blood.... Hamy started to grow. He got livelier with every feeding. Hamy learned to hold things in his hands, he learned to sit up, how to eat solid food and how to walk on a floor.... every time Hamy woke up from his nap he was a bit fitter... I have fond memories like how I tried to teach Hamy to crack a nut. I'll never forget how he couldn't really bite bits of the baby rusk due to a lack of top teeth.... after 2 attempts Hamy started to first lick the rusk then trying to shave of bits with his bottom teeth which had just started to come out..... he then brushed along the towel with his tongue where the crumbs were and just licked it up.... he was well chuffed with himself..... or how to stash things...Hamy must have been laughing for days about my helpless approach.... or.... Hamy was not willing to try "new" fruit and veg... I couldn't think of anything better than to eat it myself and smack my lips....but that got Hamys curiosity going....
    Best of all is our communication.... Hamy is really vocal... we do have a good understanding. Hamy only has selective hearing when it comes up to dropping goods they're not for him like car keys.... I only once saw Hamy really upset with me.... I made a big mistake... it was a while back as we bought a much bigger cage for Hamy. It was the first night he was in his new premises. The cage has 2 large doors with 2 smaller doors fitted within the bigger doors to lift up to open... no swinging doors.... we had secured the doors with massive cable ties. At about 10pm at night I saw a shadow right next to my bed.... there stood Hamy... to this day I could swear he had the biggest grin on his face. He was mighty proud that he came to see me... I was so shocked that I just scooped him up with my hands and put him right back in his cage.... Hamy got so upset that he jumped on the wire rack with both hands and feet... he started rattling the cage and he was hissing like mad.... as I didn't let him out again he was so frustrated that he started trampling with his feet.... as I layed there still awake and worried it dawned on me that my reaction was wrong... I was so shocked and afraid for Hamys well being that I just put him back without acknowledging his great jail break.... Hamy was so proud of himself and I crushed his high... to my biggest surprise Hamy never held it against me. As I let him out the next day he cuddled me like nothing had happened.... in my defense I was a new mom of a very fragile squirrel baby.... in panic.... but I did learn my lesson well. Hamy is not half as fragile as I thought plus he needs to make his "mistakes" to learn... I can't wrap him in cotton.... if I would I would hinder his development.... I had to learn to trust my wee pal... afterall I'm not a squirrel and Hamy is not a human. But we both try hard to understand each other. We do love and trust each other and that's all it takes.... Hamy might be wee in body size but he's gigantic in bravery and smart as can be....
    yeah nosey describes Hamy perfectly.... he sure is a ray of sunshine....

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Icemouse:

island rehabber (01-21-2024), Mel1959 (01-19-2024), TomahawkFlyers (01-19-2024)

I love all the interior designing you've be doing😁
    And Hamy likes the blocks 👏
    He so darn cute 🥰
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

TomahawkFlyers (01-19-2024)

I'm afraid we have big dark clouds at our wee paradise..... Hamy is not a happy camper. We started the new diet yesterday.... Hamy likes the blocks and eats about 3 during day but he went bananas as he realised that his nut stashes are replaced with the rodent blocks.... he frantically ran from stash to stash and got angrier every time.... man am I glad we've built the highway for him.... Hamy was more flying than running.... he threatened the air around him and my hubby.... he did come to cuddle with me a wee bit in-between but he mostly ran like a lunatic... I have never seen Hamy being that frantic.... he behaves like a drug addict not getting his drugs.... as I tried to get him in his cage he got really peed off... so I desided I lure him in with half a pecan nut....biggest mistake ever....Hamy took the nut but as I was trying to get my hand back out of his cage he tried to bite me... with the nut in his mouth.... as soon as I gave Hamy the pecan it seemed like it empowered a dark side of him..... I did manage to close the doors without getting bitten.... but he was rattling his cage like mad.... I have to admit I felt and still feel really bad about this.... it is depressing to see my happy baby in such a state.... I was up most of the night trying to think of a way how to show Hamy that there are no nuts...
    This morning I had Hamy out really early.... we were both restless.... he was up a lot at night as well.... I thought we prep more veg so he doesn't run out now since the fatty nuts are gone. Hamy was more interested in checking the places where his nuts used to be stored.... we took his bowls to his cage.... he ate a block and then some veg... after a brief cuddle he started getting frantic again.... so I decided we're going to look for some seeds or nuts we had "overlooked" yesterday...I had planted 2 seeds and ½ of a crushed hazelnut.... I couldn't think of a better idea to show Hamy that the season for nuts is over.... it did work for a wee while.... but then he started racing along his highway again... there's no way I can distract him... I even left the bedroom with him and closed the door behind us. I thought if he gets a change of wallpaper he might snap out of his junkie behaviour for a few minutes.... no chance... he seriously raced up and down the kitchen, hallway and bathroom like he had lost his mind. As my hubby picked up some stuff Hamy had dropped off the dressers Hamy threatened him tremendously... Hamy seriously bit him... good thing he wore gloves.... it's like Hamy is loosing his mind.... he gets angrier every round he runs when he can't find a nut..... I had to trick Hamy to go back in to his cage.... he felt all hot and sweaty from all the running that I was afraid he's gonna have a heart attack. I know it can't always be just sunshine in life... and yes I would love to live of italian ice cream just like Hamy wants to live of nuts only... but how long would we live with such a diet.... Hamy is really besides himself. I have never seen him this restless and angry.... he really behaves like an alcoholic not getting a drink.... I'm at the point where I don't want to give Hamy any nuts or seeds for a few days. He seriously jumped on my hubby and checked my hubbies lips if he had eaten anything as he came back from shopping... Hamy had never ever done anything like that. It's like Hamy is really short tempered since he doesn't get nuts.... I really don't know what to do.... where we live the burried nuts would start to mould by now.... it was unusually cold and wet where we live.... so even if Hamy would live at his forest he'd not have nuts very soon.... there are no nuts growing here till fall...
    What do you all reckon? Should I stop nuts for Hamy for a wee while or should I place some in his cage to be found by him? Should I give him a daily nut ration by hand so he sees it as a treat???
    How can I get Hamy to calm down again? It's only 2pm here now and Hamy is already in his bed. He's knackered.... well he sure ran a marathon today...
    I will defo stick to the new diet.... but it's breaking my heart to see Hamy and my hubby to suffer like that.... there must be a way to get this sorted.... I'm really thankful for any suggestions???

Yep he has nutaholic syndrome 🤦they hate their stash touched which is really why we can't let them have a stash.
    I'll let others give their suggestions however I'd allow him one nut a day, handing it to him at this point may cause him to bite. Maybe a night nut to go to his room. Is there a favorite food he likes avocado, maybe in the morning/ day give him a little just to get his mind off of nuts.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

island rehabber (01-21-2024), Mel1959 (01-20-2024)

Nut stashes are the worst thing ever for a captive squirrel! They will defend those nuts till the end of time! If you are going to provide him any nuts I’d give just one almond or hazelnut a day. Almonds and hazelnuts are the “least bad” as far as nuts go. You could give it at night when he gets in his cage and is ready for bed. Allow no stashes anywhere in the house. This is where the tough love comes in and will have to become the new norm.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (01-20-2024), island rehabber (01-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Yep he has nutaholic syndrome 🤦they hate their stash touched which is really why we can't let them have a stash.
    I'll let others give their suggestions however I'd allow him one nut a day, handing it to him at this point may cause him to bite. Maybe a night nut to go to his room. Is there a favorite food he likes avocado, maybe in the morning/ day give him a little just to get his mind off of nuts.
    Well I made a big mistake allowing Hamy to have stashes....
    I also prepared his veg and fruit in a bowl, his squirrel mix garvo1060 in a different bowl and 5 walnuts and 5 hazelnuts unpeeled in a bowl. Plus pinecones bark etc...Everything was put in at the same time. Hamy was really good in eating a bit of everything. He only ate 1 walnut and 5 hazelnuts a day but most of his veg and fruit. He just lately started eating more of the squirrel mix garvo1060 which is seeds, dried rosehip berries, grains, dried corn, bits of carob. They use that mix at red squirrel rescue centres in Europe....
    I wonder if it would calm Hamy down if I would put some nuts in his dish again.... I thought I keep the fruit and veg bowl, exchange the seeds for the rodent blocks and put some nuts in a dish again. This way Hamy has hardly any change to his food set up.
    Hamy eats 3 rodent blocks a day... if I make boo balls I would add ⅓ of nuts to the powdered rodent blocks. If I give that amount of nuts to Hamy his diet wouldn't suffer and he would have his beloved nuts again.... I can always go down gradually with the nuts Hamy gets if necessary.... yesterday he only stashed on me... my hoody is always the place where the most precious belongings get stashed. I always take everything out when Hamy is in his cage and put it back in right before Hamy is out of his cage.... this way I can exchange certain things and the nut doesn't spoil....
    What do you reckon? Am I just trying an impossible route or could I get away with having control over this only one stash Hamy is allowed to have.... I'm really lost.... I think one of my biggest problems is that I don't know much about social behaviour of greys....

When I read that a squirrel rescue center feeds a seed mixture and you were feeding Hamy a seed mixture I was surprised. Seeds, dried corn and nuts are not the foundation for a captive squirrels diet. If Hamy is getting nuts in boo balls then he probably doesn’t need anymore other than an occasional treat of a single almond or two.

When I had my flyer I would give him a half of an almond once every week or two. shakehead

So this begs the question…..

Those of you that have captive squirrels…how many and how often do you give nuts??? I’m really interested in what an acceptable amount is.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (01-21-2024), island rehabber (01-21-2024)

Here’s another homemade block recipe. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65#post1365565

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Nut stashes are the worst thing ever for a captive squirrel! They will defend those nuts till the end of time! If you are going to provide him any nuts I’d give just one almond or hazelnut a day. Almonds and hazelnuts are the “least bad” as far as nuts go. You could give it at night when he gets in his cage and is ready for bed. Allow no stashes anywhere in the house. This is where the tough love comes in and will have to become the new norm.
    Hamy is only clearing out his stashes today....(only rodent blocks in them) he's not putting anything in anymore except my hoody. I got 1 rodent block in my hood. He is much calmer today.... I did put 1 hazelnut and one almond in his nut dish. He ate the hazelnut but left the almond. He ate and still eats the rodent blocks. He had 2 so far.... but keeps eating some of it on the highway. He also had plenty of veg and fruit....
    The almond is still untouched but he keeps checking if it's still there.....

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Icemouse from:

Mel1959 (01-21-2024)

That’s perfect! One nut as his stash in a clearly visible location is manageable…..10 stashes throughout the house isn’t.

Fingers crossed that Hamy is slowly getting the picture. You have gotten such perfect advice here from other members that I just wanted to jump in and say please continue to take this very seriously about the nuts and the nuts stashes. Captive squirrels should truly only get one or two nuts per day and less if they will tolerate it. The reason for this is the very real danger of metabolic Bone disease in captives, but which I'm sure that you've already educated yourself about because you are such a conscientious squirrel mom. MBD is something you don't ever want to risk for your squirrel, and the three triggers for it are nuts seeds and corn because of their high content of phosphorus.

Icemouse, I would like to move your thread out of the Introduce Yourself forum and into either the Nursery or the Grey Squirrel forums. Ok with you?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast