Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mbd with paralysis/seizures

Default Re: Mbd with paralysis/seizures

Rock ON! Both of you.

Jamie

See? Baby steps. You two will get there - it certainly seems like he is holding up his end of the bargain!

Question Re: Mbd with paralysis/seizures

Update: Nutsy is still not using his back legs. He does respond to a small massage and jerk his leg. He also uses them to try and get away during baths. Occasionally, he scratches his tummy really fast but that may be involuntary.any advice or encouragement is appreciated. I really hope he regains use of his hind legs but I grow a little more bleak in outlook daily.

He is eating 4-5 Henry’s blocks a day supplemented with veggies/fruits sprinkled with a tinch of extra calcium. Anything I should add?

He is not gaining any weight and is staying steady at 400 grams. Is there anything I can do to get some weight on him? Or is that not priority right now?

He is climbing his cage very well and does not let his hind legs hinder him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mg1987 View Post
    Update: Nutsy is still not using his back legs. He does respond to a small massage and jerk his leg. He also uses them to try and get away during baths. Occasionally, he scratches his tummy really fast but that may be involuntary.any advice or encouragement is appreciated. I really hope he regains use of his hind legs but I grow a little more bleak in outlook daily.

He is eating 4-5 Henry’s blocks a day supplemented with veggies/fruits sprinkled with a tinch of extra calcium. Anything I should add?

He is not gaining any weight and is staying steady at 400 grams. Is there anything I can do to get some weight on him? Or is that not priority right now?

He is climbing his cage very well and does not let his hind legs hinder him.
    Hello Mg1987. I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response to your latest post about Nutsy! It does sound like he is improving. If he is really using his hind limbs concertedly and effectively to "try to get away during baths' it would indicate that the nerve pathways must be intact and muscles must be functional although there is obvious weakness. I hope as well as you that this all resolves!

Two Henry's Blocks (approximately 10 grams) provide a full nutritional intake for a Squirrel. A maximum of three should ordinarily be the limit as these Blocks were formulated to provide everything that would comprise complete nutritional support in a relatively small amount. This small amount, you have found out will not provide for satiety (feeling full) and more food will be necessary. One of the concerns I have about consumption of 4 or 5 Henry's Blocks is the amount of Vitamin D that is being given. I'm certainly not implying that you have done any harm but I would like to suggest that you limit the Henry's to two blocks or certainly a maximum of 3 and provide other Quality Blocks such as Teklad 2018 or Mazuri Rat and Mouse diet as further nutritional supplementation as these can be free-fed (Nutsy can have as much as he wants)! Utilizing Henry's Food Pyramid can be helpful but especially early on in the treatment program for MBD, avoiding treats, avoiding excessive phosphorus and maintaining an ideal Calcium to phosphorus ration is essential and to do that; using food from the lower levels of the pyramid is essential. The lowest and healthiest level at the bottom of the pyramid is "Blocks"! Here is a link to the Pyramid;
    ( https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/ ).

I would like to recommend that you use a totally separate and defined Calcium Supplement such as Calcium Carbonate (the substance in Tums) and actually calculate the amount needed for supplementation of Calcium. With two Henry's Blocks, you are giving Nutsy around 250mg of Elemental Calcium. Using Henry's Treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease, it would appropriate for you to supplement an additional 250mg of Elemental Calcium daily and you can divide this into 4 or 5 portions to be given throughout the day. It is Elemental Calcium that should be considered when providing or supplementing Calcium as the usual calcium preparations such as Calcium carbonate are really combinations of substances and as in using Calcium carbonate as an example (and my preference as it contain the most Elemental Calcium per unit weight); this particular Calcium source contains 40% Elemental Calcium. So, to give 250mg of additional Elemental Calcium by utilizing Calcium carbonate, you will need 625mg of Calcium carbonate (250 is 40% of 625).

Please also see my recent post (book!) in the Non Life threatening Forum addressed to Freddie's Mom. It contains some added information along with my humble comments and recommendations!
    ( https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...73#post1365073 ).

You already have the link to Henry's MBD treatment ( https://henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/ ) and here is a link to Henry's information page for MBD;
    ( https://henryspets.com/what-is-metabolic-bone-disease/ ).

Please keep on with updates about Nutsy and once again, I apologize for you not receiving a more timely response to your post!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12