Thread: Baby chipmunk biting

Default Baby chipmunk biting

I have a chipmunk, he's about 8 weeks old . Ever since he has learned to bite , he's gnawing on everything. Sometimes he bites me too . I want to know if it's normal for him to bite? He also doesn't let me touch him when he's up , he just bites my fingers if i try .
    Should i stop trying to pet him? He even sleeps over me and it's the only time i can pet him .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Baby chipmunk biting

Squirrels, Mice and chips all explore the world around them with their noses and teeth. They will nibble just about anything. Hopefully he is not causing you to bleed, just giving you nips that hurt but don't break the skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Meemansha View Post
    I have a chipmunk, he's about 8 weeks old . Ever since he has learned to bite , he's gnawing on everything. Sometimes he bites me too . I want to know if it's normal for him to bite? He also doesn't let me touch him when he's up , he just bites my fingers if i try .
    Should i stop trying to pet him? He even sleeps over me and it's the only time i can pet him .
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Yes he doesn't hurt me, he tries to bite it but i pull my fingers off just in time. Should i stop trying to touch him while he's playing?

As a revered administrator on this board has said, "When people ask me what I do when I get bit, I just say "Bleed."" Lots of pets use their mouths in play, and the teeth are part and parcel of the mouth. Your little guy is playing with you. If he bites a little hard, he does so without realizing he's hurting you. He's just excited because he's having an awful lot of fun. Tending to minor wounds is part of the deal when you are enjoying the privilege of coexisting with these beautiful creatures. If you don't mind foregoing direct contact with your chippy while you play, you could always wear a motorcycle riding glove (stronger/tougher leather without being so thick you can't feel things) while playing. Heck, you might even surprise your little guy with a newfound sense of fearlessness - the same fearlessness he has when he plays with you. Win/Win! Try Fox Creek Leather. most protective riding gear on the planet.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Meemansha View Post
    Yes he doesn't hurt me, he tries to bite it but i pull my fingers off just in time. Should i stop trying to touch him while he's playing?

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Charley Chuckles (11-30-2023), Stevelisa (12-08-2023)

He's cute! Is he a chipmunk or a palm squirrel?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

He's a Indian palm squirrel. I'm first time dealing with them that's why i don't have much idea about them.

Allot of biting may indicate that your squirrel is hungry.

Is he still nursing, or has he weaned. If not weaned, then follow this link to important info on formula.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-palm-squirrel

If he has weaned, what are you feeding him?

Diet wise after weaning off formula; all squirrels require some kind of rodent block diet during the time they

are cared for in captivity, and prior to their release, if they are releasable back to the forest. .

Hi, DF. Sadly, this baby was lost a couple of days ago in a tragic accident.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

supersquirrelgirl (12-03-2023)

I'm sorry to hear this.

Most sadly, cars are not as easily evaded by the squirrel kind as their natural predators.

He got out and ran up a tree, and then came back and was on the floor and ran under her brother's foot in that horrible sort of timing we've all experienced at one time or another.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead