Thread: Fall/Winter Squirrels

Default Fall/Winter Squirrels

Do eastern greys pack on extra weight for the winter months…or am I putting out too many nuts? Every one of my wild ones look pretty plump lately.
    Just curious, thanks.

Default Re: Fall/Winter Squirrels

Absolutely they do - they need it to help deal with the cold. Keep stuffing them!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Stevelisa (11-19-2023)

Hi There,

2 questions:

1) We mostly have foxes here but have seen a family of grey squirrels recently. I'm not sure if babies but they are so small. They don't look like the eastern greys that I've seen here. They do not have winter fur coat. I would say they are about 4 inch body length with equal size tail. Anybody know what kind of grey squirrel this is ?? (like a western grey ??) Compared to fox squirrel, the tiny grey is less than 1/4 size.

2) There is a real skinny fox female that was nursing several months ago. Now she is still skinny while the other foxes have put on weight and winter fur coats (maybe 2~3X in size). I'm worried something is wrong and will freeze during winter. Our winter in CA is mild but does reach freezing on a few nights.

Thank you,

SSG

Western grays are even larger than eastern gray squirrels, so they wouldn't be westerns. Are they possibly Rock squirrels which is a California species? Do they have pretty sort of pebbled Black and White markings on their backs? 4 to 5 inches sounds like one of our Chipmunks out here, but I don't believe you have them in California. Gee I'm a big help....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi IR,

Ok, not western grays, not rock squirrels either. Their color is medium gray body with grey tail with white along both edges. They are so tiny they look like a mouse. Definitely not chipmunk (CA does have them here.) Its funny to see them sitting next to a fox squirrel who is about 3X taller!

Name:  Tiny Grey Squirrel.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  205.9 KB

In a more resent research study, where various forms of calcium were tested for their bioavailability with common calcium lowering anti nutrient forms: (Oxalates, Phytates, Tannins), the same compounds commonly found in the wild and captive diets of tree squirrels; Calcium citrate was found to have the highest bioavailability. Calcium carbonate ranked 3rd.

Ms. Diggie, a dear yard squirrel friend, that we had supported with organic walnuts dusted with calcium citrate powder, lived to nine years of age in the wild. Over her lifetime as a breeding adult, we never saw even one juvenile that was sickly.

For our yard squirrels, we mist shelled organic walnut pieces with purified water (minerals left in), then dust the nuts with Calcium citrate using the specific source of C. citrate from, "Pure Bulk", with (1/2) Tsp. measure; then we scrunch the nuts and powder together to spread the powder over all the nuts. For more handfuls to support more squirrels, increasing the total Calcium citrate added daily is merited.

purebulk.com/collections/calcium-minerals/products/calcium-citrate-usa

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Stevelisa (11-21-2023), WwwLllSss (11-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    In a more resent research study, where various forms of calcium were tested for their bioavailability with common calcium lowering anti nutrient forms: (Oxalates, Phytates, Tannins), the same compounds commonly found in the wild and captive diets of tree squirrels; Calcium citrate was found to have the highest bioavailability. Calcium carbonate ranked 3rd.

Ms. Diggie, a dear yard squirrel friend, that we had supported with organic walnuts dusted with calcium citrate powder, lived to nine years of age in the wild. Over her lifetime as a breeding adult, we never saw even one juvenile that was sickly.

For our yard squirrels, we mist shelled organic walnut pieces with purified water (minerals left in), then dust the nuts with Calcium citrate using the specific source of C. citrate from, "Pure Bulk", with (1/2) Tsp. measure; then we scrunch the nuts and powder together to spread the powder over all the nuts. For more handfuls to support more squirrels, increasing the total Calcium citrate added daily is merited.

purebulk.com/collections/calcium-minerals/products/calcium-citrate-usa
    Thank you DF!

What's your guess on how much walnut pieces in your recipe to the 1/2 tsp CC powder?? My wild fox squirrels love the walnuts so I was going to buy some HHBs but this CC powder sounds better. Thank you.

SSG