Thread: Single Baby Concerns

Default Single Baby Concerns

Hello,
    I’m hoping to get some input from the professionals on this. Initially I found three baby squirrels- I’m thinking they were no more than a couple days old. Unfortunately, only one was alive by the time I found them. She clearly had a will to live though, because although I don’t know what I’m doing, she is thriving. I live in West Virginia and had no luck finding a rehabber at that time. She’s around 8 weeks old now and I’m really starting to wonder if being here, alone, is what is best for her. So, as I said I’d really appreciate any input from the professionals - or any tips on how to prepare for an eventual release with no prior (squirrel) interaction/socialization. The more I read, the more it worries me that she doesn’t have siblings/playmates. I just want to do the best I can for her - whatever that is.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Single Baby Concerns

Hi! I saw your thread and was hoping someone would respond. A few questions:
    Are you able to release on your property?
    Is it good habitat for squirrels?
    Do you have wilds living there?

Most of the experts here (not counting myself as one) will tell you that at her age and in your locale, they would overwinter her for a spring release. Do you have room to make or install a large cage, something like 6'x6'x2' or do you have a room that could be squirrel proofed and that you won't mind having some windowsills chewed etc.? If you have a room that she can get to run and exercise in you still want a large cage in it so you can secure her when you can't be there to supervise her.

There are lots of threads that describe how to build prerelease cages. This is what you would need come Spring if you can release her at your home. But there's time for that. If you think you can overwinter her, first thing is a suitably large cage if she must spend all her time in it. You can get away with a smaller cage if you KNOW she will get several hours out of it each day, but always the bigger the better. There are threads with ideas for enrichment activities for your squirrel during confinement. Check them out for ideas.

Come Spring and when she goes in the prerelease cage, if you have other squirrels around she will learn a bit hopefully from observing them. I think they instinctively "know" their own language, so if she hears a squirrel make the hawk alarm, she will recognize it as an alarm. Species also listen to other species, such as birds, when they alarm. That is one of the things, besides acclimating to the outdoors, that being in the PR cage does. It helps them learn about what is out there in the world but keeps them safe as they learn.

I raised a singleton, did not overwinter her (SE PA) which is against recommendations, she lived in a squirrel house someone made me, not twenty feet from my back door. She did well, made it to her first birthday and beyond, but I saw less and less of her until the last day I saw her was about a month after her birthday. I have to hope she moved into new territory, but it is most likely she was taken by a predator, as there is no shortage of them here. That was August 2019.

Hoping others chime in now.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Charley Chuckles (10-23-2023), WittyKitty (03-21-2024)