Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Amputee with infection

Default Re: Amputee with infection

Hi Shellysfriend:
    Even if Irrel did snag one of his claws on something or sustained some other injury to one of his hind limbs; Mel and Black Squirrel have some very valid concerns!
    I made the assumption that Irrel's diet was optimal and that he was getting formula in addition to quality Blocks and other healthy foods based upon Henry's pyramid but I should have asked instead of simply assuming! Thanks Mel and Black Squirrel!

Would you please describe Irrel's diet in detail. Ideally, a captive Squirrel should get at least 80% of his nutrition from quality Blocks such as Henry's Healthy Blocks, Teklad 2018 (or 2014 for the more mature aged Squirrels), Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet or Oxbow Regal Rat Food. Henry's is a concentrated and complete diet and consumption 2 to a maximum of 3 Henry's Blocks should be the daily limit to Henry's Blocks. The other Blocks can be free-fed which means that you can give as much as Irrel cares to eat. Also, at least once a day, please make a very thorough search for stashes, especially if Irrel is being fed Henry's Blocks as these have no preservatives and can spoil very rapidly. Just like with humans; eating a spoiled food can result in serious illness, loss of appetite, diarrhea and dehydration among other problems!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Shellysfriend (03-08-2024)

Hi Mel, Black Squirrel, and STS. His diet is 3 HHB a day, as much Mazuri rat and mouse as he wants (which isn’t much, usually just scatters/ burys) veggies and some fruit treats. I’ve never felt that he eats too many veggies. The list that they can have in limited quantities is of course the list he likes best. Since the injury, for good measure I’ve been rolling his HHB in calcium just in case. I ran out of benepack quite a while ago( had him taking it after the antibiotics last fall) and now have gotten some of the Vitality Science Pet Flora that Diggiesfriend suggested. Just started that about a week and a half ago and sprinkle it on a half slice of avocado once a day. Only the last couple months has he gotten one in shell nut every couple weeks.
    There has been no decrease in energy or appetite. He hasn’t been putting full weight on it or taking the long jumps he had been, but is increasing both every day. He was having a hard time cleaning his ear on that side but was still able to do it. He still likes wrestling and gets the zoomies, even has been doing the almost kangaroo like kick boxing thing that I so wish I could get on camera. He will still hang like a bat also.
    His stashes that consist of the mazuri and some veggies get cleaned out daily and the fleece in his cage every other.
    I’m only guessing that his injury was from a snag but have noticed it more lately. Even on fleece (which the core of is still loops). Some of it I wonder maybe because of the missing paw. So he’s a 2 pound fox squirrel with 3 legs. His claws dig deep to support the weight, then he has a direction change with one less paw to pivot on gets caught up a bit. This morning wrestling was another example. Belly up wrestling, he pushed with his back foot on the fleece and twisted, snagged into the fleece.
    So one question I have is the recommendation for Henry’s Healthy Blocks are 2-3 a day for a 1 pound squirrel. He’s 890 grams 8 months old so almost 2 pounds. He eats three a day, barely touches the mazuri, eats some vegetables. Should he get more HHB because of his size? I feel like he gets enough, if he was hungry he’d eat his mazuri and more vegetables. I have never been able to find guidelines for larger or fox squirrels specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellysfriend View Post
    Hi Mel, Black Squirrel, and STS. His diet is 3 HHB a day, as much Mazuri rat and mouse as he wants (which isn’t much, usually just scatters/ burys) veggies and some fruit treats. I’ve never felt that he eats too many veggies. The list that they can have in limited quantities is of course the list he likes best. Since the injury, for good measure I’ve been rolling his HHB in calcium just in case. I ran out of benepack quite a while ago( had him taking it after the antibiotics last fall) and now have gotten some of the Vitality Science Pet Flora that Diggiesfriend suggested. Just started that about a week and a half ago and sprinkle it on a half slice of avocado once a day. Only the last couple months has he gotten one in shell nut every couple weeks.
    There has been no decrease in energy or appetite. He hasn’t been putting full weight on it or taking the long jumps he had been, but is increasing both every day. He was having a hard time cleaning his ear on that side but was still able to do it. He still likes wrestling and gets the zoomies, even has been doing the almost kangaroo like kick boxing thing that I so wish I could get on camera. He will still hang like a bat also.
    His stashes that consist of the mazuri and some veggies get cleaned out daily and the fleece in his cage every other.
    I’m only guessing that his injury was from a snag but have noticed it more lately. Even on fleece (which the core of is still loops). Some of it I wonder maybe because of the missing paw. So he’s a 2 pound fox squirrel with 3 legs. His claws dig deep to support the weight, then he has a direction change with one less paw to pivot on gets caught up a bit. This morning wrestling was another example. Belly up wrestling, he pushed with his back foot on the fleece and twisted, snagged into the fleece.
    So one question I have is the recommendation for Henry’s Healthy Blocks are 2-3 a day for a 1 pound squirrel. He’s 890 grams 8 months old so almost 2 pounds. He eats three a day, barely touches the mazuri, eats some vegetables. Should he get more HHB because of his size? I feel like he gets enough, if he was hungry he’d eat his mazuri and more vegetables. I have never been able to find guidelines for larger or fox squirrels specifically.
    Thanks Shellysfriend! I believe your assessment as to the cause of Irrel's apparent recent "injury" is correct! Also, in my opinion based upon your recent post; it seems unlikely that Irrel suffers from any nutritional deficiency or inadequacy! It is good to know that Irrel is eating 3 HHBs each day! If he is consuming these in their entirety or very close to this, he is getting a day's nutrition from these 3 blocks alone! Giving more than 3 Henry's Blocks is probably best avoided as these are made as an all inclusive but concentrated food source. It is best to consider HHB as being "maxed out" at 3 blocks per day. The "serving size" as listed on the package is 2 blocks but 3 is fine for a Squirrel Irrel's size but, again; I would recommend limiting the daily HHBs to three! Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet is a fine choice as additional quality Blocks. Using Henry's pyramid for additional foods is certainly a good strategy. Captive Squirrels should have at least 80% of their diet consisting of Quality Blocks! When using the Food Pyramid, favor the foods on the lower levels of the pyramid (toward the base) and at the lowest level (the most favored food) are Blocks. Rare treats are also fine and kind but not necessary and treats should never be a major constituent of the diet. If Irrel might want some additional formula if you should ever be inclined to offer it; this too is fine!

Please keep on with the Irrel updates!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Shellysfriend (03-08-2024)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345