Thread: Help with 13 striped squirrel.

Default Help with 13 striped squirrel.

Hello! I have a ground squirrel. Weighs 30g and has one eye open at times. I’ve been following the 7% of body weight for formula. Do I provide the same care as a gray squirrel baby? She is mostly very sleepy but sometimes has energy after eating. She doesn’t usually finish her formula. Should I continue pedialyte or change to plain water? Please help with any information you can!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Help with 13 striped squirrel.

Are you mixing the formula with the pedialyte? If so, stop that immediately - don't mix the two. Formula needs to be mixed with water. And once the baby is rehydrated, it won't take water until it begins to wean because it is being supplied as part of the formula. Pedialyte is to be used ONLY until the animals is rehydrated.

This baby looks to be nearing the point where it begins to do something besides eat, potty and sleep, but until then, a nice long nap after chow is pretty normal. She is adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Are you mixing the formula with the pedialyte? If so, stop that immediately - don't mix the two. Formula needs to be mixed with water. And once the baby is rehydrated, it won't take water until it begins to wean because it is being supplied as part of the formula. Pedialyte is to be used ONLY until the animals is rehydrated.

This baby looks to be nearing the point where it begins to do something besides eat, potty and sleep, but until then, a nice long nap after chow is pretty normal. She is adorable!
    No I didn’t mix with formula. Just wanted to ensure she wasn’t dehydrated especially because she isn’t fully interested in finishing her formula. Do you have any knowledge why she might not be eating so much? Should I still be offering her formula every 4 hours?

What exactly are you feeding - what formula? Also, make sure it is warm enough - which is warmer than you think it is.

Puppy formula. It’s a pre mixed liquid. I’ve been warming the syringe in a cup of hot water but I guess I’m not sure how hot it is… should it be warm on my wrist say like a baby?

We have a lot of trouble with the premade liquid puppy formulas causing diarrhea. They are unfortunately NOT the same a the powdered. We would suggest powdered puppy Esbilac. I usually stick my pinkie in the formula and if I can leave it in there without discomfort but it feeds appreciably warm, try that.

Are you pottying the baby before and after eating? Sometimes if you do so in the middle they will eat a little more. Babies like this must be manually stimulated to poop and pee.

I did not know that about the formula!

I have been pottying her after meals but luckily she seems to be passing bm and pee on her own even between meal times.