Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for sick squirrel

Default Re: Advice needed for sick squirrel

"I'm sure the neighbors don't appreciate our squirrel friendly yard. Oh well - what can I say!"

It was squirrel country before all the houses went up. The least we can do is be kind to them. As for the neighbors, surely they do stuff that makes you less than the happiest camper in the world. Live and let live. If that doesn't work, take up drums and play sunrise concerts for them. That counts as giving, you know.

Jamie
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

island rehabber (04-28-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-14-2024)

New Update on Ms. Mo for 4/24/2024:

Mo has been coming almost everyday when there's less squirrel traffic in backyard. We still give her a whole walnut when she leaves to go across the street. Yesterday, she took her nut to bushes on this side of street and immediately came back. She was circling me to get attention, so I got up to follow her. She went up the fence, across neighbors front yard, and into the side of the woods. She stopped about every 10 feet to make sure I was following her. We ended up next to the bushes where she buried the nut. Mo jumped onto the redwood tree next to the bushes and then was looking down from the branches. Well to my surprise, there was a new nest about 5 feet away from her. She ran up the branch and disappeared. I hope into that nest ?? It suddenly clicked with me - Mo is showing me her new summer home! (might still be in progress ??) Time will tell if she is moving.

Today when she came, I noticed a raw spot on her left upper arm where it looks chewed. Could she be doing another I & D job ?? Its not big and no bump but it was raw. I'm considering to restart her on Augmentin AB for 7 days. That was the only AB she ate last time (tastes like vanilla). I have other AB but they were rejected. I have dosing info here.

Any concerns ??

Mr.SSG

LOL! I can just see her - it sounds like she did everything to get you to follow her short of putting on a Lassie suit!

Does this mean she doesn't cross the busy road anymore?

Augmentin is a good choice for her if she will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    LOL! I can just see her - it sounds like she did everything to get you to follow her short of putting on a Lassie suit!

Does this mean she doesn't cross the busy road anymore?

Augmentin is a good choice for her if she will take it.
    Yes. But today, she is still crossed the road. Not sure of the move date. My fingers crossed.

Dose #1 just made and hope she takes it tomorrow.

I am intrigued by the idea of Mo showing you where she lived.

I have released many squirrels into my backyard after time in a release cage. After release, I leave the release cages there with nest boxes inside and cage door open. Most squirrels released in late spring after being overwintered have slept in their nest box for a few months, headed to the trees once it gets too warm, then returned to their nest box once it gets cold again. Most continue to return to their nest box every winter.

What I have seen hundreds of times is these same squirrels (who know me, know I know where they sleep, and enjoy getting breakfast in bed) reverting to instinct some evenings and trying to slip back into their nest box without being observed. While they are mostly happy to bed down with me right there, sometimes that squirrel instinct takes over and they feel to need to be undetected.

So Mo showing you her new nest is really quite the compliment!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

supersquirrelgirl (04-25-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by olorin19 View Post
    I am intrigued by the idea of Mo showing you where she lived.

I have released many squirrels into my backyard after time in a release cage. After release, I leave the release cages there with nest boxes inside and cage door open. Most squirrels released in late spring after being overwintered have slept in their nest box for a few months, headed to the trees once it gets too warm, then returned to their nest box once it gets cold again. Most continue to return to their nest box every winter.

What I have seen hundreds of times is these same squirrels (who know me, know I know where they sleep, and enjoy getting breakfast in bed) reverting to instinct some evenings and trying to slip back into their nest box without being observed. While they are mostly happy to bed down with me right there, sometimes that squirrel instinct takes over and they feel to need to be undetected.

So Mo showing you her new nest is really quite the compliment!
    Hi Olorin,

Thank you! I've known Mo all her life. Her mom (Ms.Vee) brought her to meet us when she was very young. That was almost 6 years ago. Mo has lived most of her life in the public green-zone woods about 1000 feet away. She came almost every day laying around and enjoy a good life. She has brought many young from her litters over the years. She was boss of the woods and had many close males (boyfriends ??) that were her right-hand muscle. She is a big squirrel like her mom.

When Mo got sick (very big shoulder/arm abscess), she lost the ability to rule the woods and move across the road in new territory (a neighbor's backyard). As I mentioned before, I would stand on the curb and she would run down to get a whole nut from me. On days she does not come, I would leave a nut on the ground by a big tree next to the curb. In addition to the curb, Mo runs across the road to our backyard. We have spent hours sitting with her, feeding nuts, and massaging her head. (She absolutely loves Ms.SSG!)

Mo trust is based on years of engagement with us and certainly the help we gave her when she was hurting. I believe when a wild animal overcomes their fear and builds trust, they will allow you into their world and a friendship is born. Mo is very close to us. When Mo led me into the woods the other day, I really didn't understand what was going on. It clicked when she stopped and climbed the tree where I saw a new nest. Her message was clear to me then! Her new summer home.

I felt so honored by her actions and trust to show me her new home. I saw her over there burying some nuts but really didn't expect her building a new nest. I just hope she moves soon and stop crossing the road. Time will tell.

Mr.SSG

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

olorin19 (04-25-2024)

Thanks SSG

I've been on this thread for quite awhile, so feel like I almost know Mo!

I just went back to the start and my first post on this thread was actually post #3 on the day you first posted.

I subscribed to the thread at the time, and always enjoy hearing good news about Mo.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

supersquirrelgirl (04-25-2024)

Thanks SSG

I've been on this thread for quite awhile, so feel like I almost know Mo!

I just went back to the start and my first post on this thread was actually post #3 on the day you first posted.

I subscribed to the thread at the time, and always enjoy hearing good news about Mo.
    You are one of the very early TSB Members to join in. Back then we were newbie on TSB and just reaching for any help.

Ms.SSG did post #1 ~ 10, then Mr.SSG took over at post #11. You can see the big date gap between #10 and #11. You have posted many times as others did. My TSB experience had a profound impact on me and that's what kept me here today.

Mr.SSG

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    You are one of the very early TSB Members to join in. Back then we were newbie on TSB and just reaching for any help.

Ms.SSG did post #1 ~ 10, then Mr.SSG took over at post #11. You can see the big date gap between #10 and #11. You have posted many times as others did. My TSB experience had a profound impact on me and that's what kept me here today.

Mr.SSG
    Ah! That makes sense - and hello MrSSG!

TSB has been incredibly helpful for me over the years, both the main Admin experts as well as many of the experienced folks out there.

Time permitting, I try to pay it forward by chiming in when it seems like something from my own experiences might be helpful.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

supersquirrelgirl (04-26-2024)

Disappointing Update

Gave Mo the first AB nut (half-shell) on Thursday but within seconds, some noise spooked her to jump on the roof. I'm not positive she ate it. She did come back a few hours later but since the first dose was 1.5X, I only gave regular nuts & seeds.

I did get a good look at her arm and the small red spot has doubled in size and there's a small bump around the shoulder. Not at all what I expected. I believe she is still chewing on her arm again.

I prepared dose #2 for Friday and waited all day - Mo was a no-show. I walked around but couldn't find her.

On Saturday (today), Mo did come so I handed out the second AB nut. She did a couple of sniffs and walked away. I quickly made a fresh AB nut without any Nutella and tried again. Couple of sniffs and totally rejected again. Very disppointed. She is on to me and knows something was difference. As a test, I gave her another half-shell with no AB. Yep, she grabbed it and ran to the fence. After she finished, gave a whole walnut and she went back across the road (still lives there). Guess I need another plan on giving AB nuts.

What antibiotic are you using?

What antibiotic are you using?
    Augmentin 500/125mg tablet (same as first time)

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

olorin19 (04-28-2024)

How to out smart Ms. Mo ??

I made tomorrow's AB nuts using pecans in the walnut half-shell. Pecans smell more than walnuts. She is so picky and now very suspicious of my nuts. Mo rejects Nutella, peanut butter, honey, and grapes. WTH - everyone else loves them!

I gave the dropped AB nut from today to another squirrel and sure enough it was eaten; no problem!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

olorin19 (04-28-2024)

I have given clavamox to various squirrels and have always used whole pecans, cracked open into halves still in shell. (Vice grips, by the way, are brilliant for cracking open nuts without crushing the nut.)

Some squirrels have done best with clavamox applied right to the pecan then given some time to dry a bit.

Others have done better with the clavamox mixed into a bit of almond butter or sunflower seed butter then applied to the pecan.

With a wild where you do not know when they might appear, I make up the daily dose in the morning then leave it in the refrigerator so I can quickly grab it when needed.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

supersquirrelgirl (04-28-2024)

I have given clavamox to various squirrels and have always used whole pecans, cracked open into halves still in shell. (Vice grips, by the way, are brilliant for cracking open nuts without crushing the nut.)

Some squirrels have done best with clavamox applied right to the pecan then given some time to dry a bit.

Others have done better with the clavamox mixed into a bit of almond butter or sunflower seed butter then applied to the pecan.

With a wild where you do not know when they might appear, I make up the daily dose in the morning then leave it in the refrigerator so I can quickly grab it when needed.
    Thank You Olorin. You have always been very helpful. A better update today.

Big breakfast bonanza today with 12 foxes and 2 very bold greys. Lots of growling and pushing to get the best food plate. Mo comes strolling in and sits right next to me. Immediately, her big muscle male (Mustache) comes right next to her. Gave my plan-b AB pecan filled walnut shell to Mo. After a few sniffs, she ran off with it. Yes, Yes!! Gave Mustache a nut to keep him there. Then 5 minutes later, Mo returned to continue eating. Honestly, I didn't see her come back but she tapped my hand a few times to get my attention. She wanted a walnut to take home (across the road).

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supersquirrelgirl:

Mel1959 (04-30-2024), olorin19 (04-29-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-30-2024)

Another good day - Mo took the AB nut and ran away to eat on the fence. I watch her power ir down and lick the walnut shell, then drop it. Yep, found the shell and confirmed its all gone. (I put a red X on back of shell to make it easy to find.) Pecans seem to be working. Just made tomorrow's nut and put it in the frig. Hope tomorrow is good as that is dose #3 (1/day).

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supersquirrelgirl:

Mel1959 (04-30-2024), olorin19 (04-30-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-30-2024)

Ms. Mo had her AB nut for 8 days in a row at 2X dose 1X per day. I'm thrilled to finally have success. Hoping for one more tomorrow (Monday) as that's the 10-day mark for liquid suspension to expire. She's looking good and full of energy.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supersquirrelgirl:

olorin19 (05-06-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-06-2024)

Ms. Mo continues to come daily in the morning during the breakfast bonanza. She keeps a little distance from crowd and was chased the other day as she was running home with a whole walnut. Only the older folks know who Mo is and give her respect. The new generation is too young to know Mo since she has moved across the road in new territory and not the boss of the woods anymore. It's very interesting to watch the interaction between the older folks and the new generation.

Yesterday I spent time sitting next to Mo where she let me look closely at her left arm (no touching!). I can see a small bump but its overshadowed by where Mo continues to chew it. The bump is easy to miss from different angles. I'm worried again as it just doesn't clear up. I made a cipro solution a few days back using grenadine instead of water but it was so bitter, I didn't try to give her (I tried it - yuk!). I'm only here a few more days so any restarting AB nuts will have to wait until June/end. I've noticed that some of the old friends from the woods have also relocated across the road. Lots of dog walking in the woods these days.

Thank you to everyone who has followed Ms Mo story. It will go dark until we return home. Honestly, I'm not sure who is happier after our trips away to see each other. Anything can happen crossing the road. All I can say is see you when we get home.

Mr.SSG

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has followed Ms Mo story. It will go dark until we return home. Honestly, I'm not sure who is happier after our trips away to see each other. Anything can happen crossing the road. All I can say is see you when we get home.

Mr.SSG
    You and MsSSG have a great treat trip and we will await your return!

I would like to suggest that you petition the City Council to officially designate Ms Mo's route as a Squirrel Crossing Zone and have the local police enforce this 24 hours a day!
    Name:  61Z3xpMamgL._AC_SL1181_.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  76.6 KB

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I have no idea how i typed in "treat" but it's there now, i can't edit it. Maybe it was meant for the Rabbits! Please give them a treat in behalf of your friends on TSB!
    Regards,
    StS

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast