Thread: 10.5 y/o Willow is having his FIRST teeth trim

Default 10.5 y/o Willow is having his FIRST teeth trim

After 10 1/2 years, Willow (Eastern Fox), who typically kept his teeth well-manicured on various antlers, fruit branches, and an occasional chair leg, seems to have allowed his teeth to grow. I'll know more after our mobile vet visit tomorrow. For those in the Los Angeles area, I found a wildlife mobile veterinarian: Dr. Christopher Cauble. He really loves working with wildlife and provides services for local wildlife rehabilitation centers.

I am a nervous wreck! Willow lives free in my home (has never been caged) and has never been manhandled

I will be a nervous wreck until this procedure is completed tomorrow as I am terrified that he'll have a heart attack being restrained for the first time in his life.

He began having difficulty eating some of his favorite foods - that's how I realized there was an issue. At first, I tried to encourage him to chew his antlers, but I think his teeth were just too long by this point and while he still has a good appetite (for soft foods), he quickly lost his chub, and within days appeared skinny for the first time in his life. Immediately, I went on the hunt for the right vet and found Dr. Cauble. I hope he is everything I believe he will be and I will update here after the procedure is complete. In the meanwhile, I am just sick to my stomach. I can't wait for this to be done and over with.

No advice requested... I am simply posting for others who may go through this in the future, but if anyone has any words of wisdom or something to add, please do. I will let you all know how things go and my also experience with Dr. Cauble.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brooklyn:

Chirps (01-31-2023), CritterMom (01-30-2023), Spanky (01-30-2023)

Default Re: 10.5 y/o Willow is having his FIRST teeth trim

***UPDATE***

Dr. Cauble (mobile wildlife veterinarian) is amazing! His phone number for anyone in Los Angeles: (818) 242-5576

Willow did surprisingly well. He didn't fight or squeak; he was a perfect patient. Dr. Cauble was very gentle and thorough -- squished around all of his intestines and felt for anything and everything. Gave him a B12 shot and checked his heart, lungs, ears, eyes, toes, you name it. He seemed to do everything in his power to keep charges lower (saw no need for x-ray or bloodwork, but did check his stool for parasites -- there were none). He gave Willow an exceptionally clean bill of health and said that he has many more years ahead of him. He did have me switch to just a micro pinch daily of Osteo-Form as his calcium supplement which includes D3 as his teeth indicated he was a little low. I'm glad to switch because he requires much less of this calcium (just a pinch) vs calcium carbonate dusted on everything. As for the teeth...

Somehow, Willow had worn his upper teeth completely down to the gums which allowed his bottom teeth to grow long. As mentioned, he has never needed a trim before so this was a first-time development. We're not sure why the uppers wore off. Could be low calcium. We are now keeping an eye on his teeth and we might have to trim the bottoms again as the uppers grow back until they are equal or in proper proportion.

So drama and anxiety over. Wishing all of you and your furbabies health and longevity

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brooklyn from:

The Nut Lady (01-31-2023)

So glad you found a good vet for Willow 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Brooklyn (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    ***UPDATE***

Dr. Cauble (mobile wildlife veterinarian) is amazing! His phone number for anyone in Los Angeles: (818) 242-5576

Willow did surprisingly well. He didn't fight or squeak; he was a perfect patient. Dr. Cauble was very gentle and thorough -- squished around all of his intestines and felt for anything and everything. Gave him a B12 shot and checked his heart, lungs, ears, eyes, toes, you name it. He seemed to do everything in his power to keep charges lower (saw no need for x-ray or bloodwork, but did check his stool for parasites -- there were none). He gave Willow an exceptionally clean bill of health and said that he has many more years ahead of him. He did have me switch to just a micro pinch daily of Osteo-Form as his calcium supplement which includes D3 as his teeth indicated he was a little low. I'm glad to switch because he requires much less of this calcium (just a pinch) vs calcium carbonate dusted on everything. As for the teeth...

Somehow, Willow had worn his upper teeth completely down to the gums which allowed his bottom teeth to grow long. As mentioned, he has never needed a trim before so this was a first-time development. We're not sure why the uppers wore off. Could be low calcium. We are now keeping an eye on his teeth and we might have to trim the bottoms again as the uppers grow back until they are equal or in proper proportion.

So drama and anxiety over. Wishing all of you and your furbabies health and longevity
    Hi Brooklyn:
    I'm glad all went well for Willow and with your experience with Dr. Cauble! Out of curiosity, what has been Willow's diet (rodent blocks, nuts, vegetables, whatever) and what is the specific formulation of OsteoForm that was suggested (I looked at the company's website and it appears that they have 2 products; OsteoForm Bone Health and OsteopForm Bone Strength)? You obviously have been doing very well for Willow with whatever and however you have been feeding him over the past 10-1/2 years! Again, I'm just curious as what specifically has been Willow's diet and supplements such as the "dusting" of Calcium.
    Thanks and regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Brooklyn (01-31-2023)

Thank you so much! Osteo Form-SA is the calcium powder he left with me. It's typically for much larger animals so I'm to give him the tiniest pinch once daily.

As for his diet, believe it or not, Willow is the PICKIEST squirrel I've ever worked with (in his case, lived with). I think part of his good health stems from never having been caged in his life. He lives free in the house and I do believe that makes a difference. It wasn't easy for the first few years, but living alone, I managed, and he eventually calmed down and learned to be a house baby. That being said, I totally understand why that is not feasible for most squirrel parents to do. I totally get it and it can even be dangerous when they're young and mischievous.

As for food, his base diet is 2 Henry's Picky Blocks for breakfast with a leaf of Roman hearts - I've tried other greens but he just refuses to touch them, which is so frustrating. Aside from breakfast, he eats a seasonal variety of foods ranging from watermelon to pumpkin, cherries to snap peas, maple twigs to rose hips. He can be weird about grocery store produce (which makes me wonder what we're all eating), but when possible, we forage locally in safe, pesticide-free areas and also organic farmer's markets. He does eat an organic dried cranberry nearly every day - that's his candy after dinner. About 2 - 3 times per week he gets a hunk of organic avocado, meat only (no skin or pit). I do include a multivitamin hamster drop in his water. His water is always filtered water. A few times each month he gets to lick the tip of a spoon with a small amount of coconut oil. I make him flax meal pumpkin cookies and he eats a few of those per week. A dab of plain Greek yogurt a few times per week. A segment of cuties tangerine now and then. Oh, seeds! He gets a variety of seeds, but they are not the majority of his diet (maybe 1/8th of his diet) and seeds and nuts are always dusted with calcium. Nuts are mostly almonds with a treat of walnut or pecan, or chestnut now and then. He does get 5 fresh kabocha squash seeds daily (I deseed kabocha and freeze the seeds with a bit of the flesh on them then pull a few out each night for his breakfast. During spring and summer, he will eat a rose, magnolia, or camelia flower when we have access to them. He chews on elk antlers that I buy from reputable outlets. Pretty much, he eats a large variety but he decides for himself. I put out many items and he picks and chooses and goes through phases. He has been known to steal a Dorito or Nutter Butter from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Brooklyn:
    I'm glad all went well for Willow and with your experience with Dr. Cauble! Out of curiosity, what has been Willow's diet (rodent blocks, nuts, vegetables, whatever) and what is the specific formulation of OsteoForm that was suggested (I looked at the company's website and it appears that they have 2 products; OsteoForm Bone Health and OsteopForm Bone Strength)? You obviously have been doing very well for Willow with whatever and however you have been feeding him over the past 10-1/2 years! Again, I'm just curious as what specifically has been Willow's diet and supplements such as the "dusting" of Calcium.
    Thanks and regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brooklyn from:

Diggie's Friend (04-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Thank you so much! Osteo Form-SA is the calcium powder he left with me. It's typically for much larger animals so I'm to give him the tiniest pinch once daily.

As for his diet, believe it or not, Willow is the PICKIEST squirrel I've ever worked with (in his case, lived with). I think part of his good health stems from never having been caged in his life. He lives free in the house and I do believe that makes a difference. It wasn't easy for the first few years, but living alone, I managed, and he eventually calmed down and learned to be a house baby. That being said, I totally understand why that is not feasible for most squirrel parents to do. I totally get it and it can even be dangerous when they're young and mischievous.

As for food, his base diet is 2 Henry's Picky Blocks for breakfast with a leaf of Roman hearts - I've tried other greens but he just refuses to touch them, which is so frustrating. Aside from breakfast, he eats a seasonal variety of foods ranging from watermelon to pumpkin, cherries to snap peas, maple twigs to rose hips. He can be weird about grocery store produce (which makes me wonder what we're all eating), but when possible, we forage locally in safe, pesticide-free areas and also organic farmer's markets. He does eat an organic dried cranberry nearly every day - that's his candy after dinner. About 2 - 3 times per week he gets a hunk of organic avocado, meat only (no skin or pit). I do include a multivitamin hamster drop in his water. His water is always filtered water. A few times each month he gets to lick the tip of a spoon with a small amount of coconut oil. I make him flax meal pumpkin cookies and he eats a few of those per week. A dab of plain Greek yogurt a few times per week. A segment of cuties tangerine now and then. Oh, seeds! He gets a variety of seeds, but they are not the majority of his diet (maybe 1/8th of his diet) and seeds and nuts are always dusted with calcium. Nuts are mostly almonds with a treat of walnut or pecan, or chestnut now and then. He does get 5 fresh kabocha squash seeds daily (I deseed kabocha and freeze the seeds with a bit of the flesh on them then pull a few out each night for his breakfast. During spring and summer, he will eat a rose, magnolia, or camelia flower when we have access to them. He chews on elk antlers that I buy from reputable outlets. Pretty much, he eats a large variety but he decides for himself. I put out many items and he picks and chooses and goes through phases. He has been known to steal a Dorito or Nutter Butter from time to time
    That is all great to hear! Thanks for your love and conscientious care of little Willow! He is a very fortunate Squirrel! What you are doing with the two Henry's blocks in the a.m. is providing literally all of the nutrients including Calcium and Vitamin D that he needs for the day. The rest of his diet is for supplementation, fun and feeling full. Although the two Henry's block provides a day's nutritional needs, the 2 together averages only about 10 Grams which is not nearly enough to satisfy Squirrel hunger. Willow's calcium intake was one of the reasons for my posting the questions but you clearly answered my concerns with the fact that Willow is getting his daily calcium needs met fully with the Henry's blocks alone and the extra "dusting" or "pinches" will help keep the Calcium/phosphorus ratio favoring the Calcium! Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) is very unlikely to occur with Willow! You are doing a fantastic job, Brooklyn!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

To keep help to keep his teeth worn down, hazelnuts in the shell given three times a week, work well to keep the incisors worn down. Organic grown is recommended, for conventional raised requires by law for nuts in the shell to be fumigated to kill nut worm larva. The chemicals used for fumigants are known to promote cancer in rodents. Unfortunately, organic (non fumigated) nuts in the shell grown in the USA, don't become available till early September. At this time, look online for IOWA small bush hazelnuts; these small bush hazelnuts in the shell have the smallest kernels. Get enough to carry you through into the next year. Store them in a cool-dry place in your home.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

KCullen (08-23-2023)