Thread: Male Adult Squirrel Biting & Licking Scratch- wound!

Default Male Adult Squirrel Biting & Licking Scratch- wound!

Hi I have a male Fox Squirrel he is about 6 years old. I noticed a few weeks ago he had what looked like a scratch under his left arm with slight scabbing. I have been using diluted Povdine Iodine to prevent infection. It looked like it was getting better. But today He started chewing and biting on it. It is now bleeding a little & slight swollen.I called a wildlife rehabber they told me to try triple antibiotic salve. I just got that to try. Does anyone have any idea why he would chewing on it and licking at it & how to prevent him chewing it or biting so that it can heal? I cant take him to a vet or rehabber to get him looked at because in my state of Ohio its not legal to have a squirrel, they would take him away from me. If anyone has any suggestions please email me.
    Thanks

Default Re: Male Adult Squirrel Biting & Licking Scratch- wound!

The Iodine might if been to strong of a medicine to be using, therefore, it irritated the skin causing the squirrel to scratch at it until the bleeding creating an open wound........ the triple antibiotic cream should help heal the area, apply 3x a day for a week.

Default Re: Male Adult Squirrel Biting & Licking Scratch- wound!

Ok I will try the triple antibiotic. Thanks