Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help with Abandoned Babies

Default Re: Help with Abandoned Babies

I hope that sweet little girl will make a good recovery. I took in a little girl who was paralyzed from the waist down upon intake too and the Gabapentin worked miracles for her! She's gained most of her mobility back, but still struggles with her back legs a bit. Here is a link to her thread which contains some videos for reference.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...by!&highlight=
    She wasn't quite as young as your little one is, but made such great progress - I will be praying the same for your baby.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Treecat Guest

That is encouraging.
    I called all around and one of the vets didnt even know what I was talking about-had to spell it 4 times.
    Mo one I called had it so I got it ordered 2 days ago-apple flavor- but it hasn't arrived yet -They told me it would arrive the next day, now they tell me it will be Mon or Tuesday. Poor little girl-I tried.
    So we wait...and In the meantime, we have all 4 eyes opened!

Here's a picture of the little girl & the little boy sleeping (in pocket) Cant seem to get picture of little girl to turn right. It should be vertical.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Treecat:

Nancy in New York (02-24-2017), PennyCash (02-25-2017), redwuff (02-25-2017), SammysMom (02-24-2017)

Precious, just precious.
    What did you order?
    Is it Gabapentin?

I turned your picture.
    Is this your little girl whose legs just hang?
    Is there a bump on her right ankle/leg or
    is that the heel of her foot??
    Hard to tell from the picture.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 02-24-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Thank you for taking care of those babies. You are so caring and compassionate with those guys.

Praying for your little girl.

Did you say that you were able to get the gab Ape Tin?

I will be in Texas March 7 through the 13th if you need me to bring any meds I will bring them with me. I will be in the Fort Worth area

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SQUIRRELSAREME:

redwuff (02-26-2017), SammysMom (02-26-2017)

Treecat Guest

Good Morning, Nancy,
    The little boy is having diarrhea.
    I found and bought the baby rice cereal and baby banana food and made your brat formula and gave it to him last night. The little girl wanted some too, and her stool was soft like mash but still formed. Since it was so soft i thought it would be okay for her to have a little too. She wanted it and liked it so much. I let her have 1.5 cc of the brat formula and the rest of her feeding in regular formula.
    This morning, i fed the boy first, and he didnt want his usual ration. Seemed uncomfortable. The little girl was listless and dehydrated. i made some new rehydration formula & tried to rehydrate her, but she would't swallow, and slowly just faded away. I don't understand. They were doing so well, and we had them over a week and a half, and now she's gone. The Gabapentin I ordered for her was expected to arrive today...couldnt find it local in suspension form, everyone only had tablets and had to order it. Poor sweet little girl. I feel so bad. I shouldnt have let her have any of the brat formula.

Now I have to worry about the little boy.
    I just gave him regular formula this morning when I saw he was dehydrating too, and 2 doses of rehydration formula between feedings.Now I just fed him regular formula again and he still doesnt want his full dose. Is uncomfortable and wanting to be moving around all the time. Stool was liquid again, when I pottied him. He has finally settled down & is sleeping.What can I do?
    I'm scared.
    Maybe the rice flour is too hard on them.Would it be helpful to give him the formula with baby banana food only?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Can you tell me just the city that you live in?
    We have several members in Texas with vets
    and with any luck, perhaps one is close to you.

Another thought on the loose stools.
    I think that you increased the formula because of their
    weight. BUT perhaps we should have told you to do so
    slowly, and not all at once. If she is being "overfed" she
    may develope loose stools.
    How much is she taking at each feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Treecat View Post
    Good Morning, Nancy,
    The little boy is having diarrhea.
    I found and bought the baby rice cereal and baby banana food and made your brat formula and gave it to him last night. The little girl wanted some too, and her stool was soft like mash but still formed. Since it was so soft i thought it would be okay for her to have a little too. She wanted it and liked it so much. I let her have 1.5 cc of the brat formula and the rest of her feeding in regular formula.
    This morning, i fed the boy first, and he didnt want his usual ration. Seemed uncomfortable. The little girl was listless and dehydrated. i made some new rehydration formula & tried to rehydrate her, but she would't swallow, and slowly just faded away. I don't understand. They were doing so well, and we had them over a week and a half, and now she's gone. The Gabapentin I ordered for her was expected to arrive today...couldnt find it local in suspension form, everyone only had tablets and had to order it. Poor sweet little girl. I feel so bad. I shouldnt have let her have any of the brat formula.

Now I have to worry about the little boy.
    I just gave him regular formula this morning when I saw he was dehydrating too, and 2 doses of rehydration formula between feedings.Now I just fed him regular formula again and he still doesnt want his full dose. Is uncomfortable and wanting to be moving around all the time. Stool was liquid again, when I pottied him. He has finally settled down & is sleeping.What can I do?
    I'm scared.
    Maybe the rice flour is too hard on them.Would it be helpful to give him the formula with baby banana food only?

I'm so sorry to hear that the little girl passed.
    Something is just not adding up here.
    Why are they always getting dehydrated?
    What was the weight on the little boy when you first got him?
    What is his weight now.
    I know you are feeding the correct formula, but lets just go over this one more time.
    Are you mixing it 1 part dry formula, to 2 parts hot water and letting it set?

You used rice cereal, correct and NOT rice flour?

The Brat diet is not going to kill your little girl, there is something
    going on, or I'm really missing something.

Please tell us again what the little boy is taking and how much he
    weighs.

I'm sorry to have you repeat this all again, I just don't have time
    to look through the thread again, and there are others that I'm helping,
    and I don't want to screw things up.

Also if you can condense here, perhaps fresh eyes on this will help.

Rest in peace little girl, I am SO very sorry.

I'm wondering if you should just switch to the Goat's Milk formula, because
    frankly, I'm lost.

Since your little one has diarrhea again, skip the heavy cream for now.
    Hydrate in between feedings with pedialyte.

Please give a weight of the little boy from the 15th until now. How much has he gained?

PLEASE DO A RECAP ON YOUR LITTLE BOY SO ANYONE NEW READING DOESN'T HAVE TO
    GO THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD.
    BABY SEASON HAS STARTED AND TIME WITH THE REHABBERS IS VERY LIMITED.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

KarmaKay (02-27-2017), SammysMom (02-27-2017)

Treecat Guest

Good Morning, Nancy,
    Thanks for your time & help.
    Yes that was a picture (2 posts) back of the little girl (with the legs hanging)
    I am still in a shock over losing her. The little boy still seeks her to snuggle. Poor baby.
    She was too big to lose her and was doing so good. She was fine till I gave her the brat formula that night before I went to bed She had good appetite and elimination.. I should have left her alone with her reg formula.
    The only thing I can think maybe I didn't do is cook it long enough. How long am I supposed to cook it?
    Unless I got the wrong banana baby food...it has ascorbic and citric acids it in-seems like all the baby food do.

Yes, I have been using the Esbilac dry puppy formula 1 part powder to 2 parts water & heating it to a simmer & letting it set in a jar in the fridge for 8 hours before warming & feeding it to them. The brat formula was mixed like you said with 3 Tablespoons premixed Esbilac formula (1 pt powd to 2 pts water) with 1/2 tsp of baby banana food & 1/2 teaspoon of baby rice cereal stirred in and heated.
    I am attaching pictures of both items, and the little girl too.

The little boy was having runs, so I actually made it for him, but the little girl wanted some too, and although she had formed stool, it was still soft & would get mashed all over in the bedding, so I thought it would be okay for her to have a little too. I gave her 1.5 cc of brat formula plus of 3.5 or 4 cc reg formula. I thought she was dehydrated because in the morning it seemed like her coat was too big for her & her little body felt so light, but here is a picture of her after she died so you can see what you think. There was a little dried puddle of greyish runny stool in the towel that had a yucky smell to it, like she did in the morning.
    The little boy seemed to have trouble with the formula too, was restless and moving around a lot instead of curled up sleeping. Worried me.

I got up every 2 hours last night, alternating rehydrating fluid and feeding for the little boy through the night, so he wouldn't dehydrate and even though his bowels are still loose, he looks and acts good this morning. Has a good appetite & is cleaning himself now. Bought some Esbilac Goat milk puppy powd formula for sensitive digestion yesterday & don't see any probiotics on the can, so added some yogurt into too. How many feedings of a right formula will it take for the runs to stop?
    When we 1st got them on the 14th, I think he was either 3.7 or 3.8 oz. (about 105 grams), and when I weighed him yesterday, he weighed 5.2 oz.(147 grams)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

I'm so sorry to hear that the little girl passed.
    Something is just not adding up here.
    Why are they always getting dehydrated?
    What was the weight on the little boy when you first got him?
    What is his weight now.
    I know you are feeding the correct formula, but lets just go over this one more time.
    Are you mixing it 1 part dry formula, to 2 parts hot water and letting it set?

You used rice cereal, correct and NOT rice flour?

The Brat diet is not going to kill your little girl, there is something
    going on, or I'm really missing something.

Please tell us again what the little boy is taking and how much he
    weighs.

I'm sorry to have you repeat this all again, I just don't have time
    to look through the thread again, and there are others that I'm helping,
    and I don't want to screw things up.

Also if you can condense here, perhaps fresh eyes on this will help.

Rest in peace little girl, I am SO very sorry.

I'm wondering if you should just switch to the Goat's Milk formula, because
    frankly, I'm lost.

Since your little one has diarrhea again, skip the heavy cream for now.
    Hydrate in between feedings with pedialyte.

Please give a weight of the little boy from the 15th until now. How much has he gained?

PLEASE DO A RECAP ON YOUR LITTLE BOY SO ANYONE NEW READING DOESN'T HAVE TO
    GO THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD.
    BABY SEASON HAS STARTED AND TIME WITH THE REHABBERS IS VERY LIMITED.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images    

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Treecat from:

Nancy in New York (03-01-2017)

Treecat Guest

So sweet of you to offer. Houston is 5 hour drive from me.
    Meds were supposed to be here yesterday, but I lost her in the morning.
    Thank you again for offering.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSAREME View Post
    I will be in Texas March 7 through the 13th if you need me to bring any meds I will bring them with me. I will be in the Fort Worth area

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Treecat from:

KarmaKay (03-03-2017)

Good Morning, Nancy,
    Thanks for your time & help.
    Yes that was a picture (2 posts) back of the little girl (with the legs hanging)
    I am still in a shock over losing her. The little boy still seeks her to snuggle. Poor baby.
    She was too big to lose her and was doing so good. She was fine till I gave her the brat formula that night before I went to bed She had good appetite and elimination.. I should have left her alone with her reg formula.
    The only thing I can think maybe I didn't do is cook it long enough. How long am I supposed to cook it?[/U]
    Unless I got the wrong banana baby food...it has ascorbic and citric acids it in-seems like all the baby food do.

Yes, I have been using the Esbilac dry puppy formula 1 part powder to 2 parts water & heating it to a simmer & letting it set in a jar in the fridge for 8 hours before warming & feeding it to them. The brat formula was mixed like you said with 3 Tablespoons premixed Esbilac formula (1 pt powd to 2 pts water) with 1/2 tsp of baby banana food & 1/2 teaspoon of baby rice cereal stirred in and heated.
    I am attaching pictures of both items, and the little girl too.

The little boy was having runs, so I actually made it for him, but the little girl wanted some too, and although she had formed stool, it was still soft & would get mashed all over in the bedding, so I thought it would be okay for her to have a little too. I gave her 1.5 cc of brat formula plus of 3.5 or 4 cc reg formula. I thought she was dehydrated because in the morning it seemed like her coat was too big for her & her little body felt so light, but here is a picture of her after she died so you can see what you think. There was a little dried puddle of greyish runny stool in the towel that had a yucky smell to it, like she did in the morning.
    The little boy seemed to have trouble with the formula too, was restless and moving around a lot instead of curled up sleeping. Worried me.

I got up every 2 hours last night, alternating rehydrating fluid and feeding for the little boy through the night, so he wouldn't dehydrate and even though his bowels are still loose, he looks and acts good this morning. Has a good appetite & is cleaning himself now. Bought some Esbilac Goat milk puppy powd formula for sensitive digestion yesterday & don't see any probiotics on the can, so added some yogurt into too. How many feedings of a right formula will it take for the runs to stop?
    When we 1st got them on the 14th, I think he was either 3.7 or 3.8 oz. (about 105 grams), and when I weighed him yesterday, he weighed 5.2 oz.(147 grams)
    I am so sorry you lost your girl. Sometimes when there are spinal issues, they pass away like your girl did. Please be assured it absolutely was not the brat diet you gave her the night before.

I am confused when you say that you cooked the formula. Can you say anything about that? Very hot water is used to mix in the powder, but there is no cooking done.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

missPixy (03-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post

I am confused when you say that you cooked the formula. Can you say anything about that? Very hot water is used to mix in the powder, but there is no cooking done.
    Yes redwuff, I'm just coming on the board now and I saw that comment about cooking or simmering.
    Treecat, as redwuff said, you use hot water, no cooking or simmering involved.
    I totally agree the BRAT diet did not contribute to your little girl passing.
    These 2 have been having problems from the get go with hydration etc.
    Something is going on, and we need to try to find the answer.
    Your little ones are NOT the only ones on the board with similar problems.

as an aside, since he's lost his sister and is looking for her to snuggle, I would increase the amount of time right now that you hold him and comfort him~~ also provide him with soft toys to cuddle. this can help offset any additional stress this loss may create for him.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to missPixy:

island rehabber (03-11-2017), KarmaKay (03-03-2017), Nancy in New York (03-01-2017), SammysMom (03-01-2017)

Treecat Guest

Thanks Nancy, Miss Pixy & all the great suggestion Contributors,
    The little boy i doing fine & growing great now.

Am keeping him with me most of the time now. Mama and I were talking about giving him a fuzzy squirrel toy too.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Good success with all the other babies in need!
    Treecat

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Treecat from:

KarmaKay (03-03-2017)

Thanks Nancy, Miss Pixy & all the great suggestion Contributors,
    The little boy i doing fine & growing great now.

Am keeping him with me most of the time now. Mama and I were talking about giving him a fuzzy squirrel toy too.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Good success with all the other babies in need!
    Treecat
    Yes, he definitely needs a snuggly or a buddy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234