Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOTAL FOOD CONSUMPTION in a day .

Default Re: TOTAL FOOD CONSUMPTION in a day .

What a delight to come online and find all these helpful comments on my.post ! I havent been online in awhile..looks like I have some catching up to do around here

Quote Originally Posted by Dekota View Post
    OK now I am confused, so can someone please help me out? It is said that the squirrels (Greys) need a variety of veggies and fruits which I agree. One day they like some thing and the next not. And I have seen long list for both. But then it is said that if squirrels have to much of veggies or fruit they can get diarrhea. When I feed mine and give them a variety, more veggie than fruit, they end up with a bowl full.
    Also I have a question on iceberg lettuce, I was told that it was a empty food. And I also read on the Healthy diet for pet squirrels chart, not to use bagged potting soil. Does anyone know the reason to this?
    Thanks to everyone. There is a "wealth of knowledge" here
    Since I am not an expert, this is my opinion; I think for the most part, the squirrels will self-regulate how many veggies they can eat without getting diarrhea. And yes, one day they are in love with a particular veggie and the next day they won't touch it. :-)

If you give them a few choices each day of veggies, trying to keep on track with their preferences :-0, and only two pieces of fruit each day, you should not have a diarrhea issue. Diarrhea is possibly more of an issue when the baby squirrels are first transitioning to solid food from formula.

I have heard that iceburg lettuce is an empty food, but I also feel that every food that exists has a special purpose, maybe it's high in water and fiber? So everything in moderation, a little of everything rotated to me is a good plan. I eat iceburg lettuce occasional even myself.

You asked if bananas are good for squirrels, I don't know, but I gave mine a small bannana chunk every so often and they loved it.

I think bagged potting soil has chemical additives in it that would be harmful to animals, it's not just plain dirt.

Does that help?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Dekota (10-13-2016)

Hope no one minds, but thought I'd chime in on what I feed so other folks can get further examples.

Morning: HHB first, then before leaving the house for work I put in a bowl of chopped veggies. I try to vary it each week. The bowl could include several of the following: carrots, sweet potato, sweet peas, coconut, pomegranate, blueberries, cranberries, avocado (no peel), apple, squash, cucumber, Brussels spouts, peeled grape.....there are probably others I've left off. I also leave a large salad mix of several of the following: dandelion greens, radicchio, kale, Napa cabbage, Belgian endive, escarole, other mixed greens but hardly ever spinach or iceberg due to things I've read on TSB.

Evening: I call it the "dry bowl". I make it rattle so they learn early to come to the sound of goodies! 1 nut each, more HHB, a few flax seeds, 1 sunflower seed. If I have other block, such as Oxbow around I usually toss in a few of those (but those rarely get eaten).

I welcome any comments, advice, or criticism! We just keep learning from each other!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mennome:

cava (11-01-2016), Lighten-Up (10-15-2016)

Squirrelly Chef Guest

So I am also curious about this. My little one, Tigerlilly, is a grey squirrel, aproximately 3.5 months old as far as I can guess. I just had her at the vet yesterday and they weighed her at 240grams which they said is close to a normal weight, though she is a little bloated due to parasites which I'm treating her for... thus the vet.

But I am curious about how much food to offer her and whether I've been offering enough/too little. I feed her once a day because honestly I'm too busy to feel many times on most days. She has a bowl of rodent blocks, which I'm probably gonna replace with HHB soon. Then once a day I fill a glass rodent food dish with collards and kale or collards and red lettuce. She loves all three of those and about half of it is eaten within that day. Then another bowl is filled with various vegetables from the Ca:Po chart, trying for food with a 2:1 or better, never anything with less than a 1:1 unless I can't avoid it. This typically looks like 4 carrot chips, a stalk of celery, and an equivalent of some of vegetable. Then an equal ammount of a fruit, typically apples or oranges. Nuts are added to the rodent blocks typically about 6 nuts total a day.

Please if I'm messing this up, let me know. I have no pride on the line in taking care of my little girl. I want her happy healthy and living a long life.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelly Chef from:

Mennome (11-02-2016)

For two squirrels I feed twice a day along with a shallow dish of formula. They almost always eat all of this, block first, then fruit, then veggies.

Here is what is on the plate: broccoli, cauliflower, squash, two green beans, a few frozen peas, safe greens from outside and store bought greens, two blocks cut in half, two grapes, two blueberries. Sometimes I try new things like different types of potato, carrots, celery, but they don't eat them.

There is something for them eat in their cage at all times.

I think you might be giving too many nuts. Mine get one almond (if it's a large one then they get half) twice a day as a reward for getting back in the cage.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mennome (11-02-2016)

Squirrelly Chef,

What you are giving seems very reasonable and good, EXCEPT for the amount of nuts! It is highly suggested to give only 2 per day at the most, unless they are living in the wild, outside and free.

Squirrelly Chef Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    Squirrelly Chef,

What you are giving seems very reasonable and good, EXCEPT for the amount of nuts! It is highly suggested to give only 2 per day at the most, unless they are living in the wild, outside and free.
    Ok thanks, that is really reassuring and I will immediately modify her diet. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by synisterkat View Post
    He's a grey squirrel. Last I weighed him he's was about 750 grams. He has probably gotten a little bigger since then. Little oinker loves his veggies!
    How old is he?

Quote Originally Posted by TypeAMommy View Post
    How old is he?
    Seven months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12