Thread: Itchy Lilo

Default Itchy Lilo

Lilo has been doing very well..but she has been scratching a lot lately. I haven't noticed anything crawling on her at all though. I went through her fur using a soft bristle tooth brush as a brush, she loves it. I was thinking of giving her a bath with some dawn soap, to see if that helps. Also maybe after checking her bath water if there will be any sign of whats bothering her. I have never bathed a squirrel before so i am wondering what experience am i in for?

Default Re: Itchy Lilo

Oh, well neither have I and I hope I never have to. This is coming from a gal who bathed a skunk once. I'm realizing I am no match for how fast these little boogers are! Hopefully someone with more experience will be around to give you some tips.

I'm glad she likes he brushing. How sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eejay View Post
    Lilo has been doing very well..but she has been scratching a lot lately. I haven't noticed anything crawling on her at all though. I went through her fur using a soft bristle tooth brush as a brush, she loves it. I was thinking of giving her a bath with some dawn soap, to see if that helps. Also maybe after checking her bath water if there will be any sign of whats bothering her. I have never bathed a squirrel before so i am wondering what experience am i in for?
    How old is she?

I've been bathing a wild 1 year old periodically -recovering from head injury and broken hip, then lice hatch-out - and found one way to work better than others. Keeping in mind this isn't one I've had since she was a baby; she came to me fully grown. If yours is young and used to being handled/trusts you, you'll probably have better luck than me!

1st attempt in the sink: Filled sink first, then brought her into room and carefully set her in water, keeping my hands around her while she acclimated to the situation. Didn't matter, the sink wouldn't hold water because she pulled the drain with her feet while attempting to climb out. Spent the whole time scrabbling for the rim, which she could easily see and reach. Tried to rinse soap with cups of water. She was unsure of having water poured over her. Also, only pour from behind the ears and back. Pouring on the head might push soap into the eyes, especially if they squirm (when do they not? lol)

2nd attempt in a storage tote with high sides: filled tub with a couple inches of warm water, soaped up with small amount of Dawn, then had to use cup to pour water over her to rinse. It's crucial to not over-soap, as it either takes too long to rinse and they get upset, or it doesn't get rinsed out all the way. I used a few drops - like a 1/4-1/3 the size of a dime at most (leftover soap can be used to wash up any scratches you receive in the process haha ). Anyway, she handled this better than the sink but spent the whole time looking for a way out, including trying to climb up my arms. If you don't have to take time away from the squirrel to fill a cup repeatedly, it's good for two reasons- first, the running water may startle them. 2nd, you don't have to take your eyes off them. I suppose you could fill multiple cups with the rinse water first and have it on hand, but I'd worry that it either wouldn't be enough to get all the soap out, or it would cool down while you're bathing them.

3rd attempt: with the idea in mind that she could get a bit of swim therapy in the process, I said 'forget the squirrel-sized bathtub' and just filled our bathtub with 2-3 inches of warm to not-quite-hot water (tried to match at least my body temp, if not the squirrels). Then I took the high-sided storage tote from step 2 and set that in the corner of the tub, filled with fresh water for rinsing. Putting that tote in the bathtub kept the rinse water the same temp as the bath water, and the sides were tall enough my girl couldn't climb up it and use it as an escape route.

Filled bathtub with enough water so that it would support her and she could move her hip and leg with passive resistance from the water, but also put her feet down and rest when needed and still be able to keep her head above the water. I think being able to feel the bottom is the biggest thing, along with a comfortable water temp and *not* running the faucets while they're in the room... no sounds they're not used to, and they need to feel like they're not going to drown or get chilled. Not being able to reach the sides/lip of the tub helps, too. My girl saw she really didn't have an "out" and calmed down and proceeded to wade around while I soaped and rinsed her. It was the least stressful option for both of us!

Oh yeah, and for step 3, I just rinsed using my hands to cup the water, rather than using a cup and holding it over her. They could possibly find a cup looming over their heads intimidating or startling in some way. Clean bath mats (those suction-cuppy ones) in the tub will also help prevent their claws from scratching up the tub's surface.

Sorry this is so long- hope it helps in some way!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RiverSong from:

Lighten-Up (09-13-2016)

Lol i guess that gives me a good idea of what to expect. Im guessing Lilo is 6-7 weeks. Tomorrow is our 2 week anniversary she has gained some trust of me..but still isnt 100% her natural skittishness is still there with me.. She is totally frightened of anyone else and feels most secure in her cage. I dont force her out except to feed and ive been playing with her in her cage. She is getting braver and climbs out to wrestle with my hands. Maybe a bath isnt a good idea until she trusts me more...or hell should i just get in the tub with her that maybe easier lol

Lol i guess that gives me a good idea of what to expect. Im guessing Lilo is 6-7 weeks. Tomorrow is our 2 week anniversary she has gained some trust of me..but still isnt 100% her natural skittishness is still there with me.. She is totally frightened of anyone else and feels most secure in her cage. I dont force her out except to feed and ive been playing with her in her cage. She is getting braver and climbs out to wrestle with my hands. Maybe a bath isnt a good idea until she trusts me more...or hell should i just get in the tub with her that maybe easier lol

How is your Lilo doing? Still itchy?

I happened to come across this advice in another thread (thanks, island rehabber!) and thought you might like to try it.

"island rehabber... Owner/Administrator
    Re: Rama Rota - The King of Costa Rica

Dawn is the safest and most effective for animals. You don't even need to immerse him in it; wet a washcloth in a solution of Dawn & warm water, and wipe him down thoroughly with it, going backwards and frontwards thru his fur. Leave it for a few minutes then do the same thing except with just water until all trace of soap is gone. (Dawn rinses out well.)"

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RiverSong from:

DarkLies212 (09-13-2016)

i gave lulu baths by filling the sink up with water a dawn and slowly dunking her and slowly pooring water on her from my hand. it took me a while to get her ised to the sink noise but once she did now all she does is fuse and hold on to the spikit while i wash her. and im not sure about this but maybe she has dry skin try looking for an organic oatmeal soap for children and also see what more experienced ppl on her think about the oatmeal soap. you could even make your own to where you know what is in it

Are you seeing any dander/flakes on her? Scratches or scabs? How dry is her environment? Is she fully hydrated? Dehydration can cause dry skin... Maybe a humidifier would help?? [Edit: Oh lordy, I just saw you're in Florida - you probably don't need a humidifier lol!]

Oatmeal shampoo seems like a good idea, too. I know there's oatmeal formulas for dogs, cats, ferrets, etc... you've got to think between that and the children's version, at least one of those options would be okay, since it's gentle. Maybe someone with experience using it will weigh in here... I'd be curious to know, too.

When they get a bath, the typical reaction of external parasites is to head for high/dry ground - in other words, you'll see them swarming up onto the squirrel's head and face. If you didn't notice anything of that sort, or in the water, I'd look into other issues, like you're doing here.

Orrr.... maybe she's just faking "the itchies" because she wants you to brush her some more!

Hope you and she get this figured out soon... good luck!

Im in ontario canada.. Was very humid here for awhile. Things are finally cooled down now. I didnt bathe her as of yet.her scratching has calmed down. Realized some of her bedding was washed with fabric softener so i re did her laundry in plain water. .i think it may be dry skin.. She isnt flakey but her fur close to her skin looks like when a dog isnt brushed enough.. That foggy appearance if you know what i mean. So ive been brushing it out more to see if that helps..she still has her natural skittishness so i dont want to upset her too much yet.

Im in ontario canada.. Was very humid here for awhile. Things are finally cooled down now. I didnt bathe her as of yet.her scratching has calmed down. Realized some of her bedding was washed with fabric softener so i re did her laundry in plain water. .i think it may be dry skin.. She isnt flakey but her fur close to her skin looks like when a dog isnt brushed enough.. That foggy appearance if you know what i mean. So ive been brushing it out more to see if that helps..she still has her natural skittishness so i dont want to upset her too much yet.
    Often fur like that is an indication of dehydration or not enough nutrients. She may not be either of those, but it's one thing funny fur points to.