Thread: Squirrel Weaning

megabeagle Guest

Default Squirrel Weaning

Hello,

My squirrel is old enough that he is starting to chew on things. I've introduced rodent block (OxBow Essentials) to his cage but he doesn't seem too interested in it. He will nibble on it and try to burry them but it doesn't look like he's eating them because he leaves a huge trail of crumbs behind. It seems as if he's just chewing it but not eating it. He never takes the rodent block on his own. Only when I give it to him. Is this alright. Should I start introducing other solid foods or hold off on it. I am still feeding him formula according to his weight. I also have a rodent water bottle in his cage but he won't drink from it.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to megabeagle from:

Gardentoes11 Guest

Default Re: Squirrel Weaning

So glad you've saved this baby! The best first food is Henry's Squirrel Blocks, the high protein ones for baby squirrels: http://www.henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/. They can only be purchased online. It's important to get them accustomed to these first since they're critical to their health as they grow up. At first they'll mostly just shred them, but eventually they'll start eating them, & then you can start introducing vegetables. Baby squirrels more or less wean themselves when they're ready--just gotta provide healthy options for when they're ready!

Default Re: Squirrel Weaning

As already stated it's best to invest in some HHB and keep all squirrels on formula for as long as they will continue to drink it. I add vanilla yogurt to the formula after the squirrels turn 4 weeks old to keep them interested in it. Weaning generally takes place by the squirrel some where after 12 weeks of age, some longer.

Members who have read this thread: 1