Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Nutrition

Default Basic Nutrition

This is going to be a lengthy post.. I need all the details. As I research I am getting conflicting answers so i need to ask the best of the best here
    At what age do you start weaning off formula? How do you do your weaning process? My squirrels are 8 weeks old this weekend. We have given them the baby squirrel protein calcium blocks once a day from Henrys Pets. And just introduced small apple chunks and spinach. They love ALL of it. When you start weaning how often do I provide these nutritious foods for them?

Also, if not in DIRECT sunlight... do I need to supplement with a vitamin D? At what age do you leave water in their cage? They are getting formula by every 4 hours now. I have a covered porch so I could set the cage there but have a shady back yard from tree coverage. Should some fresh air be of benefit to them?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to breannahope from:

cava (09-01-2016)

Default Re: Basic Nutrition

We don't wean them but give them formula from a syringe as long as they will take it and after that we even offer it in a very shallow dish. As long as they want it they can have it. No need for extra D but if you have a safe, shady place in the yard to put their cage that is perfect. Just make sure they have plenty of water as squirrels can overheat if they don't have enough shade. I start putting water in the cage this age or a week or so before.

Are you planning on releasing them?
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ALittleNutty:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Spanky (08-31-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by breannahope View Post
    This is going to be a lengthy post.. I need all the details. As I research I am getting conflicting answers so i need to ask the best of the best here
    At what age do you start weaning off formula?
    You don't start weaning... you hope they take formula for as long as they are in your care. It provides great nutrition and guards against MBD. But they will eventually wean themselves...

How do you do your weaning process?

See previous answer?

My squirrels are 8 weeks old this weekend. We have given them the baby squirrel protein calcium blocks once a day from Henrys Pets. And just introduced small apple chunks and spinach. They love ALL of it. When you start weaning how often do I provide these nutritious foods for them?
    Variety is the key to great nutrition... I provide a fresh buffet twice a day.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Also, if not in DIRECT sunlight... do I need to supplement with a vitamin D?
    No... especially if they are taking formula!!! (double grin!)

At what age do you leave water in their cage?

8 weeks is old enough... I like to have both a dish of water and a water bottle. It helps to put small (clean) pebbles or marbles in the dish until they get the hang of drinking... helps prevent them from sticking their snout too far into the water.

They are getting formula by every 4 hours now. I have a covered porch so I could set the cage there but have a shady back yard from tree coverage. Should some fresh air be of benefit to them?
    Never place a squirrel in direct sunlight without a shady retreat. They suffer sun stroke way too easily (even if it is not very warm out). Personally I would not worry about outdoor / deck time for at least a few more weeks!

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (08-31-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Nancy in New York (09-02-2016)

I had all of these same questions, too! Thanks for the thorough response. (Although I thought I saw a light at the end of the formula tunnel. Nope. )

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Nancy in New York (09-02-2016)

At 9 - 10 weeks I cut back to 3 daily formula feedings and HHB twice a day. After that I offer formula twice a day for as long as they cooperate! Of course cutting back on formula assumes they are healthy, eating their HHB and all their healthy veggies!

Edit: I want to clarify, since cutting back (by which I mean frequency) kind of sounds like weaning, but the objective is not to wean them off formula but rather to train them to eat their HHB and healthy veggies. And if they are doing that, they naturally will result in them taking less formula.

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Anne (01-19-2017), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Mel1959 (09-01-2016), Nancy in New York (09-02-2016), PennyCash (09-01-2016)

Again, contrary to popular belief, I would only feed HH Blocks as a small occasional snack or 'treat'. I would wean and transition from formula directly to rodent blocks, lab rat chow or mazuri blocks. They taste horrible and grown squirrels won't touch them, HOWEVER, baby squirrels don't know any better, so they tend to accept them and eventually love them. They have been laboratory tested and proven to be nutritious for squirrels and are a better value for your money. After you transition onto those you may begin adding addition vegetables, fruits, and a few nuts. The primary ingredient in HH Blocks 'EVEN after the addition of everything else' is NUTS. In my own opinion, we should always avoid nuts, and no food should become a primary source of critical nutrition in which the 'PRIMARY' ingredient is nuts. I'm just not that trusting with the little guys I raise...

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Daisey007:

cava (08-31-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisey007 View Post
    Again, contrary to popular belief, I would only feed HH Blocks as a small occasional snack or 'treat'. I would wean and transition from formula directly to rodent blocks, lab rat chow or mazuri blocks. They taste horrible and grown squirrels won't touch them, HOWEVER, baby squirrels don't know any better, so they tend to accept them and eventually love them. They have been laboratory tested and proven to be nutritious for squirrels and are a better value for your money. After you transition onto those you may begin adding addition vegetables, fruits, and a few nuts. The primary ingredient in HH Blocks 'EVEN after the addition of everything else' is NUTS. In my own opinion, we should always avoid nuts, and no food should become a primary source of critical nutrition in which the 'PRIMARY' ingredient is nuts. I'm just not that trusting with the little guys I raise...
    No, it is not a "popular belief."

HHBs have been used with success as the foundational block for squirreles for many years.

Being adamant about first ingredients being nuts reveals one's lack of knowledge of what determines the order of ingredients on a food label.
    The order of the ingredients on a food label is determined by WEIGHT, NOT by concentration of nutrients in a given ingredient.
    Hence, since BY WEIGHT nuts outweigh other ingredients, they are listed first.
    BUT the vitamins and minerals are CONCENTRATED, so even though they are lighter in physical weight, they "OUTWEIGH" the "heavy" nuts by nutritional concentration.
    IN other words - nutrition-wise vitamins and minerals overpower the nuts.

MOREOVER, the concentration of vitamins and minerals in HHBs has been based on lab data about rats. THAT means, that HHBs have been formulated pretty much like all that rat block (i.e., based on the same data) yet with a special focus on squirrels, and what makes them far superior to even good commercial block is that they use all human grade ingredients and NO fillers.
    The carefully calculated concentration of vitamins and minerals in HHBs neutralized ANY and ALL possible undesirable effects of nuts. Thus, nuts are only fulfilling their function of making block attractive to squirrels, while concentrated vitamins and minerals fulfill their nutritional "healthful" function.

Comparing block to block, commercial rat block (and some more so than others) use a lot of fillers, and not great ones (soy one of them).
    For large rehab and for very, very tight budgets commercial block is used just fine.
    But for singletons or whenever budget permits, HHBs are still superior.

There has never been ONE single squirrel with MBD on HHBs.
    Furthermore, there have been countless squirrels who recovered from MBD and other injuries on HHBs as their block.

So, to imply and suggest that HHBs are somehow harmful and their benefits are a "popular belief" is a rather grave misinformation.

In order to get over this whole "nuts are listed first" people need to learn that ingredients are listed by weight; and people also need to learn about the differences between weight of a substance and a concentrated substance of lesser weight and so on and so forth.

Different people have their own preferred modes of feedings - and that's fine. But when shared it is best to share them exactly as "personal preferences" and not as some kind of authoritative statements labeling others - in this case HHBs - as a "popular belief."

While more experienced board members may be able to sort out through such comments, newbies may not.

Let's keep personal preferences as such and, when some strong statements are made as in this case of labeling the benefits of HHBs as "popular belief" - let's support such strong claims with facts (such as what determines the order of ingredients in a food label) and not with one's own "preferred beliefs" and misinformation.

Thus, so far there are such facts about HHBs:
    1) not one squirrel became ill with MBD on HHBs. EVER. NEVER.
    2) a great number of squirrels recovered from MBD on HHBs
    3) They are formulated specifically for squirrels with rat data as foundation.
    4) ingredients on food labels are listed in the order of weight, NOT concentration.
    5) HHBs use all high quality human grade ingredients.

14. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

ALittleNutty (08-31-2016), island rehabber (09-02-2016), lilidukes (09-01-2016), Milo's Mom (09-05-2016), Rexie (09-06-2016), Ringo (09-10-2020), stepnstone (09-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisey007 View Post
    So say they are transitioning from formula and want to eat, but are picky about the new veggies. Would the rodent blocks sort of be their staple nutrition while they wean and try stuff out? Is it nutritionally complete? Mine are finally eating them-sorta (usually when they are pissed that feeding time is over because they could eat twenty more syringes and they go grab one and eat it and stare at me with a pouty look on their face.) (Or so it seems ) I am putting fresh ones in twice a day, store a small batch in a jar and the others in the freezer.

Also, do you guys pick greens from outside and include that in their veggies? (clover, sorrel, dandelion, grass, maple leaves, etc.?)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    So say they are transitioning from formula and want to eat, but are picky about the new veggies. Would the rodent blocks sort of be their staple nutrition while they wean and try stuff out? Is it nutritionally complete? Mine are finally eating them-sorta (usually when they are pissed that feeding time is over because they could eat twenty more syringes and they go grab one and eat it and stare at me with a pouty look on their face.) (Or so it seems ) I am putting fresh ones in twice a day, store a small batch in a jar and the others in the freezer.

Also, do you guys pick greens from outside and include that in their veggies? (clover, sorrel, dandelion, grass, maple leaves, etc.?)
    Rodent block does become their staple nutrition once they begin to refuse formula.

A general rule of thumb is as follows:

1) once their eyes open - start giving them a piece of block for them to start getting used to it. They won't eat it right away: will pee on it, nibble, climb over, play with it etc.
    Eventually they will start nibbling and eating.
    Block should be their first solid food in order for them to accept it as their next staple.

2) when they begin to wean themselves (should be their choice, do not enforce weaning), block will become for them the foundation of their diet. But again - do not wean them, let them wean themselves - the longer they are on formula, the healthier they will be.

3) once they start eating block without fuss, veggies and greens are introduced.

4) once they are eating block, veggies and greens without fuss and with pleasure - treats such as fruit and a nut-a-day can be given.

While some individual situations sometimes vary, this is a general outline. Block - first, then - greens and veggies, then- treats.

PS some sqs still want to drink some formula in a dish even while eating block and veggies and all. That's fine, and even good.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017), PennyCash (09-01-2016)

just to add some food for thought (no pun intended):

one can take a look at any fortified food (e.g., cereal, sports protein bars, sports protein drinks etc.) - the "food" ingredients, i.e., the ingredients that make this stuff edible, are listed first, and all the fortification (vitamins and minerals) are listed after precisely because they are concentrated. If they were listed first, this wouldn't be "food" really, it would be an equivalent of a multivitamin pill.

Similarly, nuts which are listed first in HHBs fulfill the same function - they simply help make the block palatable and food. Otherwise, it would be just a baked equivalent of a multivitamin pill.

Also, some commercial blocks list corn and other less desirable foods among their first ingredients. Yet, because these blocks have concentrated vits. and minerals, the latter neutralize the harmful effects of corn, too.

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post

HHBs have been used with success as the foundational block for squirreles for many years.

Being adamant about first ingredients being nuts reveals one's lack of knowledge of what determines the order of ingredients on a food label.
    The order of the ingredients on a food label is determined by WEIGHT, NOT by concentration of nutrients in a given ingredient.
    BUT the vitamins and minerals are CONCENTRATED, so even though they are lighter in physical weight, they "OUTWEIGH" the "heavy" nuts by nutritional concentration.

MOREOVER, the concentration of vitamins and minerals in HHBs has been based on lab data about rats. THAT means, that HHBs have been formulated pretty much like all that rat block (i.e., based on the same data) yet with a special focus on squirrels, and what makes them far superior to even good commercial block is that they use all human grade ingredients and NO fillers.
    The carefully calculated concentration of vitamins and minerals in HHBs neutralized ANY and ALL possible undesirable effects of nuts. Thus, nuts are only fulfilling their function of making block attractive to squirrels, while concentrated vitamins and minerals fulfill their nutritional "healthful" function.

Comparing block to block, commercial rat block (and some more so than others) use a lot of fillers, and not great ones (soy one of them).
    For large rehab and for very, very tight budgets commercial block is used just fine.

Furthermore, there have been countless squirrels who recovered from MBD and other injuries on HHBs as their block.

So, to imply and suggest that HHBs are somehow harmful and their benefits are a "popular belief" is a rather grave misinformation.

In order to get over this whole "nuts are listed first" people need to learn that ingredients are listed by weight; and people also need to learn about the differences between weight of a substance and a concentrated substance of lesser weight and so on and so forth.

Different people have their own preferred modes of feedings - and that's fine. But when shared it is best to share them exactly as "personal preferences" and not as some kind of authoritative statements labeling others - in this case HHBs - as a "popular belief."

While more experienced board members may be able to sort out through such comments, newbies may not.

Let's keep personal preferences as such and, when some strong statements are made as in this case of labeling the benefits of HHBs as "popular belief" - let's support such strong claims with facts (such as what determines the order of ingredients in a food label) and not with one's own "preferred beliefs" and misinformation.

4) ingredients on food labels are listed in the order of weight, NOT concentration.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Rexie (09-06-2016)

Got it.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017)

Thank you astra!!

I have seen that "contrary to popular belief" comment against HHB's posted in other forums and this time I was typing as you were posting!
    Besides the fact that HHB's are fresh baked with human-quality ingredients with no artificial preservatives, colors, fillers, additives, preservatives or by-products.
    And they are a low-carb, soy-free diet that provides optimum health and nutrition. There is a big difference between a commercial Rat/rodent block and Henry's
    Healthy blocks. Henry's squirrel blocks were scientifically developed and designed for squirrels and their daily nutritional requirements.
    No commercial rodent block to date can lay claim to that!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

astra (09-01-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Rexie (09-06-2016)

Thank you, stepnstone!!!

I've come across such completely unjustified and misleading vilification of HHBs before, too. So, felt prompted to finally say it in the open and not just in PMs.

And as one more example of weight vs. concentration:

If we put a tiny concentrated fatal drop of cyanide in a pound loaf of bread, the wheat flour will be listed first, and the tiny concentrated drop of cyanide will be last b/c it will be even smaller than the amount of yeast needed to make the loaf rise.
    And, hopefully, it is unnecessary to explain that despite a very heavy first ingredient - wheat, the tiny but very concentrated last ingredient will overpower all the pound of edible stuff and will fulfill its grim function.

Likewise, I think it's time to stop this "HHBs have nuts as the first ingredient" because (will repeat myself) - the concentrated vits. and minerals neutralize whatever undesirable cal: phos ratio nuts may have.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Thank you astra!!

[I]I have seen that "contrary to popular belief" comment against HHB's posted in other forums and this time I was typing as you were posting!
    Besides the fact that HHB's are fresh baked with human-quality ingredients with no artificial preservatives, colors, fillers, additives, preservatives or by-products.
    And they are a low-carb, soy-free diet that provides optimum health and nutrition. There is a big difference between a commercial Rat/rodent block and Henry's
    Healthy blocks.
    Henry's squirrel blocks were scientifically developed and designed for squirrels and their daily nutritional requirements.
    No commercial rodent block to date can lay claim to that![/I]
    exactly!!!

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Rexie (09-06-2016), stepnstone (09-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Absolutely, yes!

While some individual situations sometimes vary, this is a general outline. Block - first, then - greens and veggies, then- treats.
    IMO this is where squirrel's people sometimes go off track... you should get them eating the block very well first. Once they are eating it really well, I continue to give them their block first, before anything else. So the morning (and evening) routine is clean out the *leftovers from the buffet, give them their block. And wait.Don't give in... they will eat it (and usually without challenge if you followed Astra's advice that they get not other solids introduced until they are "hooked" on their block). I often use the analogy that they will line up for their block like kids at an ice cream truck in July if you follow this advice!

After they have eaten their blocks, then the get the buffet including a little fruit (which they usually go to first). They quickly learn (or are trained?) that they will not get the buffet until they have eaten their block.

*leftovers: I usually have considerable leftovers because I provide more then they can eat and a good and varying variety. Wilds have a variety of wide open space and find what their bodies need and demand. Captive squirrels have a variety of only what their people provide them. Give them a variety and they will eat what their bodies demand and need... and that will change as they get bored with this veggie or that veggie. My Step had not gotten cauliflower in weeks because he had stop eating it.. last night he got some.. this morning he was eating the last of it when I greeted him good morning!

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (09-01-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), PennyCash (09-01-2016), Rexie (09-06-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Absolutely, yes!

[FONT=comic sans ms]IMO this is where squirrel's people sometimes go off track... you should get them eating the block very well first. Once they are eating it really well, I continue to give them their block first, before anything else.

After they have eaten their blocks, then the get the buffet including a little fruit (which they usually go to first). They quickly learn (or are trained?) that they will not get the buffet until they have eaten their blocks
    that's what works for me, too. Block always first in am and until that's eaten - no other food. I know that some people have slightly different routines and it works for their sqs. But in my case - nothing else until block is eaten (every am), just like Spanky described.

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

cava (09-01-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Spanky (09-01-2016)

Thank you Astra for the lengthy authoritative tout regarding HH Blocks. Please allow me to clarify my position regarding my response, and to ask you some questions that may help me to have a better understanding of HH Blocks.

I want to first point out that my statement is my own personal opinion but it's not based on "lack of knowledge" as I have a forty, yes 40, year history in science, which is the exact amount of years that I've been rehabilitating squirrels. So, please, don't assume that just because my 'opinion' differs from yours that it's based on "lack of knowledge".

The way you defend HH blocks, rather than recognizing a difference of opinion based on our individual knowledge and preferences,
    makes me wonder if you own or have a stake in HH Blocks? I have no strong loyalties in favor of any product that I mentioned. I have no strong negative opinions against HH blocks except to say they shouldn't be the sole source of 'critical nutrients'. I feel they're fine for treats.

You, nor anyone else, can say with any amount of certainty that "not one single squirrel ever developed MBD while on HH Blocks".
    Simply because you are unaware of it doesn't make it a fact. Since no scientific research was done using HH blocks, that I'm aware
    of or I have seen, you have no statistical data to support that claim. Simply put, you don't know what you don't know. I think it's fair to say that the jury is still out on that. With that said, any claim regarding health i.e. MBD, is considered a drug claim, and drug claims are unacceptable on animal feed products by law.

You mentioned that the blocks were formulated "specifically for squirrels with rat data" as a foundation. Well, let's look at that. Just
    how much does a squirrel have in common with a rat? Answer, almost nothing! In fact: the only thing they have in common is the rate in which their teeth grow per year and that's all. Procreation, gestation, number of young per litter, rearing, habitats, behavior, and DIET (in non captive animals) are extremely different. Granted squirrels are usually categorized with rats but that fact is why we keep coming up short in our care and treatment for squirrels. So, to compare the two species based solely on the rate in which their teeth grow is not only poor practice but "misinformation". Since we don't truly know what the critical nutrients should be for squirrels, we shouldn't consider HH Blocks to be the sole source of critical nutrients as it is often referenced as being so, or based on popular belief anyway, since it's based solely on rat data.

Now let's talk science...
    Can you provide the scientific calculation for the "carefully calculated" vitamins and minerals that "neutralize any and all negative effects of the nuts"? Does it 'negate' the positive effects of nuts too? I have not been able to locate such data and would be interested in seeing it. Also, do you know where I might find a certified analysis report from a laboratory on HH Blocks? I've looked on the packages of HH Block and I don't see an analysis report that is common on other packaged animal food products but they are not always required to be on animal products. I'm interested in what effect baking may or may not have on the nutrients? I guess a quest for knowledge is from my scientific background but I'm just not trusting without supporting scientific data.

I have many concerns regarding HH blocks being considered the holy grail of squirrel food, and only a few are mentioned here. I certainly understand the principle behind primary ingredients being listed by weight but felt it simpler to site that than to elaborate my concerns in detail, and for that I apologize. I do not feel that HH blocks are bad per se, however, I also don't feel they should be considered THE primary critical care nutrient food source for squirrels without some scientific data to backup the claims.. Without true scientific data, the squirrels HERE are the ones in the test tube! Rather than attempt to make someone appear "uninformed" because their knowledge, skills and opinions differ from yours... maybe ask why they have a different opinion than yours.

At no point did my wildlife veterinarian ever recommend HH blocks when my Daisy had MDB, nor have I ever read anything that indicated that any other veterinarian recommended HH blocks. I feel it's a grave mistake to recommend or endorse a product without full scientific knowledge of that product, and not have a single veterinarian to officially recommend the product.

The one thing we all have in common is that we LOVE squirrels and we all want what is best for them. We all bring unique skills and abilities to the board that can benefit all members. I offer my opinions and recommendations based on what I feel is best for the squirrels regardless of how popular my opinion may or may not be.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Daisey007:

cava (09-01-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Rexie (09-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Thank you astra!!

I have seen that "contrary to popular belief" comment against HHB's posted in other forums and this time I was typing as you were posting!
    Healthy blocks. Henry's squirrel blocks were scientifically developed and designed for squirrels and their daily nutritional requirements.
    No commercial rodent block to date can lay claim to that!
    This is probably my favorite comment!

"Besides the fact that HHB's are fresh baked with human-quality ingredients with no artificial preservatives, colors, fillers, additives, preservatives or by-products."

A claim that something is "Human-quality" implies that the item being referenced is edible for people in legally defined terms. "No artificial preservatives"... That's true. The product depends on refrigeration and/or freezing as a preservative... however, it DOES spend several days in the mail void of either refrigeration or freezing. Oops, that means the product was 'unprotected' during that time.

"There is a big difference between a commercial Rat/rodent block and Henry's Healthy blocks. Henry's squirrel blocks were scientifically developed and designed for squirrels and their daily nutritional requirements. No commercial rodent block to date can lay claim to that!"

WRONG! Just more "misinformation"... They were developed based largely of the nutritional requirements of RATS with a little extra calcium and nuts added. And of course, squirrels have very little in common with rats other than the rate of growth in their teeth.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Daisey007 from:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017)

Because I have so many squirrels I feed
    my squirrels the homemade HHB's. The
    ingredients are
    Whey protein isolate (I use 130 grams)
    Henry's vitamins (33 grams)
    baking powder (1 tsp)
    eggs (1)
    water (2 or 3 Tbs)
    finely chopped pecans and almond slivers (110 grams total)
    coconut oil for the pan

My kids are all disabled in one form or another.
    Each of them are healthy with beautiful shiny
    coats big fat tails and shiny eyes.

I have 3 different squirrels who came to me
    with severe MBD. Their X-rays showed hollow
    bones. Along with the emergency MBD protocol
    I only fed blocks, leafy greens, broccoli and
    sugar snap peas until their recovery was well
    under way. They are all very healthy now.
    Their block is always the very first
    thing they eat from their salad bowls every day.

I've been feeding HHB's for 7 years. They are
    expensive and very time consuming to make.
    But very worth the cost and time. All I have
    to do is look around me for proof.

Rodent block never enters my home.

You can call Leigh at Henry's for any
    nutritional advice or questions.
    Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

35. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lilidukes:

astra (09-02-2016), Daisey007 (09-01-2016), island rehabber (09-02-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Milo's Mom (09-05-2016), Rexie (09-07-2016), stepnstone (09-01-2016)

And you thought your original post was lengthy! I am going to "attempt" to bring this thread back to your original concerns... and suggest perhaps "we" (the membership) start a separate discussion (debate?) on various blocks (pros, cons, variances/preferences) in a separate thread for that purpose?

As far as conflicting info is concerned, well I think it is fair to say... you got some more conflicting information, maybe? Which is okay, there is more than one "right answer" here IMO. If there is any good news it is we all agree (at least I am pretty certain we do?!?!) that we should not wean squirrels from formula.. if any weaning is going to happen, we should let that be the squirrels choice... our "job" is to offer formula for as long as they are willing to take it. And then some.

As far as "block" goes... I would opine that for folks that are raising a squirrel or two and not dozens (or hundreds?) every season, the Henry's Healthy Block is the easier (and proven reliable) path in terms of the squirrels' willingness to readily eat them. They are not inexpensive but a bag will last a month for a singleton squirrel and if we assume release is the goal.. it's a few months of HHBs. Trust that 1 - 2 blocks daily will provide lots of good nutrition... if it did not or if that changed at all (like various formula does / has changed) the TSB members at large would likely be first to discover. And feel free to feed the Oxbow, Muzuri, etc. in addition to the HHB... as much as they will eat. And lots of veggies, wild foods if you can, a little fruit and the occasional nut as treats (like cotton candy and gummy bears to a human toddler). Too many nuts and they will stop eating the HHB... AND everything else (maybe this too is something that will have consensus? ).

37. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Daisey007 (09-01-2016), KarmaKay (01-18-2017), Nancy in New York (09-02-2016), PennyCash (09-01-2016), Rexie (09-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes View Post
    Because I have so many squirrels I feed
    my squirrels the homemade HHB's. The
    ingredients are
    Whey protein isolate (I use 130 grams)
    Henry's vitamins (33 grams)
    baking powder (1 tsp)
    eggs (1)
    water (2 or 3 Tbs)
    finely chopped pecans and almond slivers (110 grams total)
    coconut oil for the pan

My kids are all disabled in one form or another.
    Each of them are healthy with beautiful shiny
    coats big fat tails and shiny eyes.

I have 3 different squirrels who came to me
    with severe MBD. Their X-rays showed hollow
    bones. Along with the emergency MBD protocol
    I only fed blocks, leafy greens, broccoli and
    sugar snap peas until their recovery was well
    under way. They are all very healthy now.
    Their block is always the very first
    thing they eat from their salad bowls every day.

I've been feeding HHB's for 7 years. They are
    expensive and very time consuming to make.
    But very worth the cost and time. All I have
    to do is look around me for proof.

Rodent block never enters my home.

You can call Leigh at Henry's for any
    nutritional advice or questions.
    Chances are that unless those blocks are offered when they first start nibbling solid foods, they wouldn't eat them anyway. And you can absolutely forget feeding them after they've tasted the HH blocks, it won't happen. I would prefer to make my own blocks like you are doing. Is the recipe you provided the complete recipe, and do you vary the ingredients?

39. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Daisey007 from:

KarmaKay (01-18-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast