Thread: Question on 'Ground' squirrels....

Default Question on 'Ground' squirrels....

I understand ground squirrels mature faster than tree squirrels. If someone was caring for ground squirrels since about a month old, what would be the recommended release age ? I also understand the release process is very different for ground squirrels. I read somewhere you're supposed to dig an initial burrow for them with two entrances. Do you agree ?

As always.....many thanks,
    Randy14

Default Re: Question on 'Ground' squirrels....

I cannot help you with the release age - but I think the idea of an initial burrow is very important. It needs to be deep enough to provide the temperature protection - while it is 100+ above ground, the little ground squirrel burrows are deep enough to be nice and cool. I wonder if you could incorporate some lager PVC pipe and fittings for portions of it - it would certainly make it easier for a non-ground squirrel to build!

What type is he? Can you post a pic?

Smile Re: Question on 'Ground' squirrels....

Last April a woman from San Diego found three baby squirrels. She contacted me and decided I would take them since I have experience in rehabbing squirrels. I quickly found out they were not 'tree' squirrels, but 'ground' squirrels, and were about five weeks old at the time. Foreseeing that I don't have experience with these species, and don't know of a suitable place for release, I decided to turn them over to the local Wildlife Rehab center in Huntington Beach where I live.

Since they needed personal care and had to be bottle fed 2 - 3 times daily, they were assigned to someone for home care. The other day I checked on their status. To my surprise they told me they were released. But when I commented that they were only 12 - 13 weeks old, I shared sentiment that I thought they were too young to release. They replied that they mature much faster than tree squirrels. I didn't want to argue with them, and they are suppose to be more knowledgeable about this. I was a little frustrated because I wanted to take a picture of them, and share it with the woman who brought them to me.

I did get a chance to see/photograph them on May 14th, or about 18 days after I gave them to the rehab folks. They had them on display for their annual baby shower that they open to the public, to enhance wildlife awareness and solicit donations.

This was all an interesting experience, and now I know much more about this species of squirrel. It also gave me a chance to use those custom nipple syringes using that special 20/50 baby squirrel formulae.