Thread: Diarrhea after introducing squirrel block

Default Diarrhea after introducing squirrel block

Is it normal for a 5 week old baby squirrel to have diarrhea after being introduced to blocks? I've started leaving blocks for my little girl, Monkey, and she's nibbling on them but I'm still feeding her the Fox Valley formula.

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Default Re: Diarrhea after introducing squirrel block

I've never seen this with the squirrels I've rehabbed. What type of block did you introduce? Remove the blocks while he is having diarrhea in case the blocks are the diarrhea's source.

How much does your squirrel weigh? What type of formula is it getting? How many ml is he getting at each feeding? How often is he being fed?

What other variable changed at the same time you introduced squirrel block? Did his/her formula intake or the concentration of formula/water recently increase?

What color is the diarrhea? How often is he/she having diarrhea? How much diarrhea is he/she having?

I hope Monkey's diarrhea stops tonight.

Poor baby. I know with HHB if the blocks are left at room temp. They will mold. I put mine in the freezer and thaw as needed. Double check your blocks for mold of anything that could have contamnated them. If she had no diarrhea before, go back to formula and add some rice baby cereal or diastat Maybe that will tighten her up.

Baby girl is fine. It's not from the blocks; I gave her a piece of cherry and I think it may be that. I fed her the formula and her poops are back to it's normal consistency and colour.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rebecca817 from:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca817 View Post
    Baby girl is fine. It's not from the blocks; I gave her a piece of cherry and I think it may be that. I fed her the formula and her poops are back to it's normal consistency and colour.
    Glad to learn she is doing better (and that the source was not HHB!).

Just a note about the Cherry pits (and apple seeds). They should not be given as they contain amygdalin (, which releases cyanide when metabolized. It would take quite a few to be harmful, but best to avoid them in any case!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Just a note about the Cherry pits (and apple seeds). They should not be given as they contain amygdalin (, which releases cyanide when metabolized. It would take quite a few to be harmful, but best to avoid them in any case! [/FONT]
    Thank you for the heads up. I always use my cherry-pitter when preparing cherries. I have 3 sugar gliders that love cherries and they cannot have the pits or seeds either.