Thread: Is teeth trimming required?

Copicpho Guest

Default Is teeth trimming required?

Hi there, I have a male gray approximately 4-5 months old. I am a first time squirrel owner and was wondering if teeth trimming is ALWAYS required. When would he need his first trimming done (this sounds awful to do). He isn't have any issues that I know of, his diet is good, he chews on EVERYTHING inside his cage (he has plenty of toys and branches). If I keep him chew toys, deer antler (he has a whole 1/2 of a rack in his cage and chews it all the time), etc. Will I be able to prevent the teeth trimming?
    He also bites me softly, almost affectionately, he did get my thumbnail a little hard and I yelped. He immediately stopped. His cage is about three feet from my recliner and I have corrected him with an "Ahh Ahgh!" for chewing on the metal of his cage. He stops everytime I do that so, I think that verbal command is working. He has stolen my heart for sure, but man is he a messy eater!! I clean his cage daily. He gets block, veggies, and I collect vegetation (sticks, dandelions, and leaves) every other day at least. Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Thanks,
    C.

Default Re: Is teeth trimming required?

Unless he is having teeth issues or problems keeping his teeth worn down, he shouldnt need you to trim his teeth ever.
    Teeth Trimming is more for Squirrels who's teeth are misaligned or they have incisors missing, therefore making them unable to wear their own teeth down causing jaw problems, weight loss, balding fur, ect ect. As long as he has plenty of gnawing options, which it definitely sounds like he does, he should be all set especially since you said he uses them plenty. However keep in mind, chewing on the bars could lead to problems down the road such as broken teeth or Odontomas (bony calcium growths on the root of the incisor teeth) so just keep an eye out for any future signs/symptoms of issues or overgrown chompers

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreleesi from:

stepnstone (05-11-2016)

Copicpho Guest

Thank you so much, that is a relief. I appreciate you responding

No Problem, you are welcome

Members who have read this thread: 2