Thread: best ways suggestions to clear babies nose.

Default best ways suggestions to clear babies nose.

I would like to to hear others suggestions on what they use to clear babies noses when they sneeze. Sometimes just wiping isn't quite enough. And if they get the clicking, what is the best medication for that? I have worked real hard to have no runny poo, so least side affects if possible.
    Thanks for any help. I appreciate and my 9 babies appreciate it.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dekota from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-02-2016)

Default Re: best ways suggestions to clear babies nose.

Wow.....thank you for caring for nine little ones

If your babies are sneezing and clicking you definitely need to get them on ABs ...immediately....Baytril/Ciprofloxacin is the preferred AB....but others will help...I'm not sure what you have ....you will need a weight on the babies...and someone here can pm you the dosage as far as tummy troubles....we recommend giving them a probiotic two hours before or after the meds....probiotics will affect the efficiency of the ABs is giving closer...you can buy the capsule form from any drug store...it only takes a tiny bit....you can open the capsule and give it to them...just a sprinkle...for my older squirrels I'll sprinkle a little into the creases of a pecan for babies, maybe just a little sprinkle in some water....extra hydration would be good

Trying to get the gunk out of their nose can be difficult....most people wipe like you were describing ....I have heard of some using the little bulb aspirator you can get for infants....just be very, very careful...just a tiny bit of suction(squeeze)

I sure hope you are able to get some ABs
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

Well, now this is gonna gross some people out, but if I have one aspirate liquid while I am feeding, I will GENTLY suck on their nose with my mouth to clear it. I know it may not be something that others would want to do, but in such a situation I would rather have squirrel snot in my mouth for a second than a clicking baby in 24 hours.
    Now if it has already happened and you do have clicking babies, as Sweeper said, you need antibiotics. Preferably Cipro, Baytril or Clavamox. What do you have on hand or have access to for antibiotics?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (11-18-2017), Elise (04-02-2016), KarmaKay (04-07-2016), Nancy in New York (04-02-2016), Norkthesquirrel (04-19-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Well, now this is gonna gross some people out, but if I have one aspirate liquid while I am feeding, I will GENTLY suck on their nose with my mouth to clear it. I know it may not be something that others would want to do, but in such a situation I would rather have squirrel snot in my mouth for a second than a clicking baby in 24 hours.
    Now if it has already happened and you do have clicking babies, as Sweeper said, you need antibiotics. Preferably Cipro, Baytril or Clavamox. What do you have on hand or have access to for antibiotics?
    A rehabber after my own heart!

I don't find it gross at all. It's fast, effective and most of us
    have had worse in our mouths then a little squirrel snot.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (11-18-2017), island rehabber (04-02-2016), KarmaKay (04-07-2016), Nancy in New York (04-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    A rehabber after my own heart!

I don't find it gross at all. It's fast, effective and most of us
    have had worse in our mouths then a little squirrel snot.
    Totally agree!
    Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-02-2016)

I was taught to flip the babies upside down. The motion (GENTLY of course) and gravity helps the fluid they aspirated drain up and out of their lungs and nose. Then you wipe their nose as they sneeze the rest out.

Has always worked for me and my mentors

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirreleesi:

cava (11-18-2017), KarmaKay (04-07-2016), SammysMom (04-03-2016)

I do this also, but if it is a bad one i use the other method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreleesi View Post
    I was taught to flip the babies upside down. The motion (GENTLY of course) and gravity helps the fluid they aspirated drain up and out of their lungs and nose. Then you wipe their nose as they sneeze the rest out.

Has always worked for me and my mentors
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

This method really sucks. Literally!

Using this method also comes with the added advantage of a pungent reminder to slow down and be more careful when feeding babies.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

Going on the defense here with that last comment....
    If I were anymore careful with my babies they'd need their own security assigned to them!
    Aspirating formula can happen with anyone feeding babies at any given time, it's how it's handled
    that makes the difference. I've personally never given AP to any of my babies.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Going on the defense here with that last comment....
    If I were anymore careful with my babies they'd need their own security assigned to them!
    Aspirating formula can happen with anyone feeding babies at any given time, it's how it's handled
    that makes the difference. I've personally never given AP to any of my babies.
    Sorry Step, it was not my intention to suggest you, Gayle or any other nose suckers (I too have used this method) were not diligent and careful whenever feeding. At the time I posted, the scenario in my mind was about those (especially newbies) that refuse to heed danger warnings concerning the use of too large a syringe for feeding because smaller (correct size) syringes are "inconvenient". If the consequence was having to suck a mix of baby snot and formula out of a little nose maybe they'd not consider it all that inconvenient after all?

Apologies to any that I may have offended with my poor attempt at humor!

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016), Nancy in New York (04-03-2016)

I do this also, but if it is a bad one i use the other method.
    I'd never heard of nose-sucking before but its brilliant! Im definitely going to keep it in mind when i start taking babies in again!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreleesi from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Sorry Step, it was not my intention to suggest you, Gayle or any other nose suckers (I too have used this method) were not diligent and careful whenever feeding. At the time I posted, the scenario in my mind was about those (especially newbies) that refuse to heed danger warnings concerning the use of too large a syringe for feeding because smaller (correct size) syringes are "inconvenient". If the consequence was having to suck a mix of baby snot and formula out of a little nose maybe they'd not consider it all that inconvenient after all?

You could never offend anyone Spanky.
    We knew what and who you meant, and these suggestions
    are typically for the newer members!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

Thank you all for your suggestions.

My babies don't really have the clicking, just sneezing. Some of them suck their formula in their noses no matter how slow I feed and how dry I keep the nipple. I just don't like pumping to many meds into babies. They are between 120grms and 180grms. But I can get the meds for them.

What probiotics can you buy at what stores?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Didn't think you were suggesting me or anyone in particular and I wasn't "offended."
    Getting choked up on formula is no surprise with some of these babies that can suck the paint off of walls.
    It is how one handles it that can make the difference between being up their nose or going down into their lungs.
    Screw the "learned" protocol, in one swift move I can "suck a nose" a lot faster then flip, drain and reach for a wipe.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by Dekota View Post

Most pet supply stores carry a pet product called Benebac or you can
    purchase people brand (all pictured below) at drug stores such as Walgreens,
    CVS, even Walmart.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dekota View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

My babies don't really have the clicking, just sneezing. Some of them suck their formula in their noses no matter how slow I feed and how dry I keep the nipple. I just don't like pumping to many meds into babies. They are between 120grms and 180grms. But I can get the meds for them.

Thanks again
    One of the two 4.5-week-old babies I'm caring for now has what I call "feeding dysphagia". She's been difficult to feed since I got her at 2 weeks. Even by feeding extreeeeemely slowly with a 1cc syringe and pausing frequently, she still manages to get tiny amounts of formula in her nose. (Yes, I've tried different small nipples and positioning.) After her feedings are completed, she appears to have reflux and a tiny amount of formula comes out her nose then too. (No, she's not being overfed or fed too frequently.) I hold her gently upright after each feeding hoping to prevent such reflux, but it hasn't helped. Even with her daily small aspirations, she hasn't developed aspiration pneumonia.....yet.

If your babies aren't acting sick (abnormal behavior, decreased formula intake, increased respiratory rate, inability to suck or gasping, and/or lethargic), they MIGHT only be clearing their noses of formula and not actually developing aspiration pneumonia. A rhythmic clicking sound is definitely a sign of aspiration pneumonia.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DaSquirrelMom from:

KarmaKay (04-07-2016)

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Oops. I should also add that this baby doesn't have a cleft palate.

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

Of my snorters, one did did get sick. Had to put her on clavamox, and she is getting better, but now has diarrhea. , but I have ben e bac and pumpkin .