Thread: What age do we add veggies, fruits, and hhb?

Default What age do we add veggies, fruits, and hhb?

I have 2 fox squirrels and approximately 6-7 weeks. I've put a few pieces of monkey biscuits in there and small peas. They are nibbling on both in between feelings ever5-6 hours 15-20cc of fox valley

Default Re: What age do we add veggies, fruits, and hhb?

The best practice is to put high-quality rodent block (Harland Teklad, Zupreem or Mazuri) in their container as soon as their eyes open. Do not give them any other solid foods until they are happily eating their blocks. At 8 wks you can begin feeding the Henry's Healthy blocks recommended for juveniles; then you can begin with 1 or 2 new solid foods per day. NO NUTS. Not until they are readily eating blocks, dark leafy greens like kale and escarole, along with sweet potato and other recommended foods. You'll be really sorry if you don't get them eating rodent blocks from day one -- trust me. I didn't try hard enough with my two overwinters here, and they are too lean for my liking -- plus the constant running out for fresh veggies is a pain in the butt and the wallet.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks! Why the other brands before Henry's? Going to purchase the Zupreem rodent block now. Do you not recommend Zupreem monkey biscuits?

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKay View Post
    Thanks! Why the other brands before Henry's? Going to purchase the Zupreem rodent block now. Do you not recommend Zupreem monkey biscuits?
    HHB's are supplements, not the staple part of a squirrel's diet. Two per day (limit 2 for grey squirrels; foxers could have 3+) provide all the calcium and other important ingredients a squirrel needs so that you don't have to worry so much about the Cal:Phos ratio in their diet. The other quality rodent blocks are supposed to make up 70% of the squirrel's diet. Hope that makes sense.

I do feed the monkey biscuits sometimes, but the main ingredient in them is corn and corn is very high in phosphorous. That's why I try to get my kids eating the Mazuri instead. I think the monkey biscuits taste better, though, so when all else fails.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '