Thread: I have the wrong formula and it's Thanksgiving!

Aileen Guest

Default I have the wrong formula and it's Thanksgiving!

Hi,
    Last friday my boyfriend brought home a squirrel. I think he is between 5-6 weeks, but I'm no expert. His eyes are open, he just cut top teeth, but his bottom are in, his tail is just barely starting to get the "spread" look to it. Spoke to a rehabber, she was too far away, referred me to another who never answered. Found someone in my area on a certified wildlife rescue list who never answered either. I got him fluids until my boyfriend brought kitten formula the next day. I just figured out that kitten formula is the WRONG thing to give him and I feel wretched!!! I am going to try to find esbilac for him, but being thanksgiving I don't know where I could find it and how I should approach feeding until then. Do I continue regular feedings of Kitten formula until I find the right stuff? Do I feed him smaller amounts? Sorry I didn't do an "introduce yourself" post first but I feel frantic Any help would be so much appreciated!

Default Re: I have the wrong formula and it's Thanksgiving!

There is a temporary formula that you can make with goats milk.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ilk-Formula*** Post #1

What area in FL? Maybe we have someone close.

to TheSquirrelBoard

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (11-26-2015)

Aileen Guest

I will try to find goat's milk at walmart, since i think that's the only place open today. I live in lake county, central florida. If there is anybody who could help I would greatly appreciate it. I am hoping someone would be willing to help me help Chester recover from his paralysis, or at least nurse him back to full health besides it. I have seen a lot of websites that say to "put them out of their misery" if they are paralyzed. I don't THINK he's miserable, but again, I'm no expert. Just willing to become one!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Aileen from:

Aileen Guest

oh, and I have only gotten him to poo once since friday! I have been cleaning him chin to tail after each feeding, it doesn't seem to be working. He urininates without stimulation, so I don't even know if stimulation is still needed

Aileen, he probably doesn't have anything in him to make poop. With the formula, you should start seeing poop. Because of his paralysis, I would continue to stimulate him. Sometimes these paralyzed babies can't urinate on their own. They need to be expressed.
    I don't know if this is something that you're willing to do but there is an excellent vet not too terrible far from you. Depending on where you are in Lake county you might be an hour or so from this vet. She is in Port Orange. Her name is Dr. Alicia Emerson.
    http://www.ravenwoodvet.net She is an excellent vet and she loves squirrels. Please don't take your squirrel to just any vet. Most vets won't see squirrels because they are wildlife. Even vets that will see them many times require that you be a rehabber.

I don't know much about paralysis but sometimes a course of Dexamethasone will relieve swelling and your baby might get a little function back. Many times the paralysis is permanent. These paralyzed babies are very functional as far as moving around but they do suffer from problems associated with their disability. Examples would be UTI's associated with urine retention, sores on their legs from dragging them and sometimes they will even chew their legs as they feel nerve tingles in them. Chewing the legs is a serious problem.

I would seriously consider a visit with a vet.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (11-27-2015), PennyCash (11-27-2015)

Hi Aileen,
    I don't know how you feel about the drive but I can absolutely second what HRT4SQRLS said about Dr. Emerson. She is phenomenal and loves the babies. I drove 19 hours so that she could help my girl and she was worth every minute of it. She's the best that I've seen and I've been to 3 others. Good luck with your boy

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PennyCash from:

Aileen Guest

Well we now have a couple days of the correct formula in him. He's using the bathroom completely on his own. Yay for no more stimulation in that department! I will still look in to going to see Dr. Emerson since his legs haven't gotten any better. Oh what I would give to see his cute little tail flicking! Thank you guys for all of your help! Paralysis aside, he seems to be doing very well. The way he lifts his arm for me to rub his chest/ belly is sooo beyond adorable!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.