Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby flyer questions

Misskellieg Guest

Default Baby flyer questions

A baby flying squirrel crawled into my boyfriends bag while he was playing disc golf yesterday. It appears to be about 6 weeks old I think, eyes wide open, fully furred and active and a wide furry tail. I have been feeding him with epsilac like I read on Henry's but he doesn't seem to be eating as much as I think he should. He is also defecating on his own. Over the course of a day he has only eaten about 5cc of formula. He is active when awake but sleeps a lot. I have been keeping him on a heating pad as well. How much should he be eating at this age? Is the formula enough for him? Does he need to be getting water as well? I am currently using a 3ml syringe and offering him food every hour or two. Anything else I need to be doing? I am trying to find a wildlife rehab center in Atlanta I can take him to but so far have not had any luck. I want to make sure I'm giving him the best chance for survival!

Default Re: Baby flyer questions

Welcome to the Squirrel Board! What we need to know to figure how much he should be eating is how much he weighs. Do you have a kitchen scale that weighs in grams?

Misskellieg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Welcome to the Squirrel Board! What we need to know to figure how much he should be eating is how much he weighs. Do you have a kitchen scale that weighs in grams?

I don't 😕

They have them at Walmart and other stores in the kitchen department. It is something that you really do need in order to figure out how much to feed.

Did you check for hydration?
    Their appetite will be suppressed if they are dehydrated and
    they are not able to process their food properly if dehydrated.
    Can you post a picture?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Reach out to Atlantasquirrelgirl (I think that's the user name)

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Did this finder get / need help? I am out of state until Thursday, actually passing through Atlanta maybe midnight-ish Wednesday night / Thursday morning if that helps.

If you need someone to take him, I am in Jacksonville, FL and can add him to my bunch of 5 who are similar in age. They are eating around 6-8cc per day, around 2-2.5 per feeding.

You can add a teaspoon of full fat vanilla yogurt to the Esbilac which may entice them a bit more.

good luck and I hope all does well.

Misskellieg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pixiepoo View Post
    If you need someone to take him, I am in Jacksonville, FL and can add him to my bunch of 5 who are similar in age. They are eating around 6-8cc per day, around 2-2.5 per feeding.

You can add a teaspoon of full fat vanilla yogurt to the Esbilac which may entice them a bit more.

He ate 2cc this morning. He seems slightly dehydrated but when he eats he eats well. Like I said I got 2cc in him this morning before he stared refusing and wanting run up my arm and I put him back on his heating pad. How often does he need to eat? I'm glad yours are eating about the same amount as him then, that makes me feel better! How long does he need to stay on a heating pad? I have him in a box right now and he pretty much just sleeps all the time. I ordered some Henry's blocks since I can't find a rescue in my area so it looks like I'm raising him. Do I need to be coming home on my lunch breaks and feeding it can he go 8 hours in between?

I have a singleton around the same age (~40 grams)... I wish we could get both these babies to you Pixiepoo!

Misskellieg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Misskellieg View Post
    A baby flying squirrel crawled into my boyfriends bag while he was playing disc golf yesterday. It appears to be about 6 weeks old I think, eyes wide open, fully furred and active and a wide furry tail. I have been feeding him with epsilac like I read on Henry's but he doesn't seem to be eating as much as I think he should. He is also defecating on his own. Over the course of a day he has only eaten about 5cc of formula. He is active when awake but sleeps a lot. I have been keeping him on a heating pad as well. How much should he be eating at this age? Is the formula enough for him? Does he need to be getting water as well? I am currently using a 3ml syringe and offering him food every hour or two. Anything else I need to be doing? I am trying to find a wildlife rehab center in Atlanta I can take him to but so far have not had any luck. I want to make sure I'm giving him the best chance for survival!

Here is a picture of him. He just ate another 1.5cc.i have to go to work tomorrow so I'm a little concerned about leaving him. He has his heating pad and I will feed him twice before I leave but will he be ok for 9 hours without feeding? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  945.4 KB

Misskellieg Guest

Is it normal for him to just sleep all the time? I wake him up and he'll eat 1.5-2cc then crawl right back into his warm blankie and sleep until I wake him up to eat again. I would take him to join your group but there is really no way for me to get him to Jacksonville so I'll take all the help I can get from you smart people!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Did this finder get / need help? I am out of state until Thursday, actually passing through Atlanta maybe midnight-ish Wednesday night / Thursday morning if that helps.
    Did you see this post? Spanky is one of the very best squirrel people there are! This is a really awesome offer if you are up to a late night rendevouz.

Misskellieg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Did you check for hydration?
    Their appetite will be suppressed if they are dehydrated and
    they are not able to process their food properly if dehydrated.
    Can you post a picture?

What do you do for fleas if they are rescued from outside? I have seen a few on him and don't know how to go about getting rid of them except to kill them when I see them. I have already treated my pets for fleas just in case

What do you do for fleas if they are rescued from outside? I have seen a few on him and don't know how to go about getting rid of them except to kill them when I see them. I have already treated my pets for fleas just in case
    You can give him a quick bath is dawn dish soap (the original blue one). Make sure you rinse well and he is dry before returning to the cage. That should do the trick if you change his bedding along with the bath.

PS I hope my posting about passing through ATL at midnight did not sound creepy (seeing it now, in retrospect, I could see where *maybe* it was!). I am leaving Little Rock Wednesday evening to travel home. I could meet up later in the week also, but it sounds like you have committed to caring for this little guy (thank you!). I do have a similar aged flyer and they could be cage buddies and released together.

Misskellieg Guest

You can give him a quick bath is dawn dish soap (the original blue one). Make sure you rinse well and he is dry before returning to the cage. That should do the trick if you change his bedding along with the bath.

PS I hope my posting about passing through ATL at midnight did not sound creepy (seeing it now, in retrospect, I could see where *maybe* it was!). I am leaving Little Rock Wednesday evening to travel home. I could meet up later in the week also, but it sounds like you have committed to caring for this little guy (thank you!). I do have a similar aged flyer and they could be cage buddies and released together.

Haha yes, no offense but the prospect of meeting a stranger off the internet at midnight did not sound like the safest LOL do you live near Atlanta? I may be interested in meeting up at a later date

We here on TSB will vouch for Spanky not being an axe murderer.

Haha yes, no offense but the prospect of meeting a stranger off the internet at midnight did not sound like the safest LOL do you live near Atlanta?
    Good thinking I won't even meet someone off CraigsList in my own town at 12 noon in a public place.

Yeah, Spanky's a good guy. I'd meet him at midnight any day!

Haha yes, no offense but the prospect of meeting a stranger off the internet at midnight did not sound like the safest LOL do you live near Atlanta? I may be interested in meeting up at a later date
    No offense taken!!! When I re-read the post, I realized how creepy that may have sounded but I had not thought about it at the time. I was just doing the math about what time I'd pass through ATL on my way home.

I live on Lake Hartwell, about 75 miles from downtown Atlanta.

Misskellieg Guest

No offense taken!!! When I re-read the post, I realized how creepy that may have sounded but I had not thought about it at the time. I was just doing the math about what time I'd pass through ATL on my way home.

I live on Lake Hartwell, about 75 miles from downtown Atlanta.

Ok great. Perhaps we could meet in the middle?? I'm doing ok with him right now but I have no idea how to raise him to be released. My days off are Monday and Tuesday, could you meet up one of those days next week? I think I can handle him until then and with my work schedule I won't really have time to take him until then. Maybe in commerce, ga on Tuesday morning?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.