Thread: Feeding help

Default Feeding help

My two squirrels are about 13 weeks and are getting formula 2-3 times a day with no indication of them weaning anytime soon. Should I be feeding them less? Also, I put in 4-6 HHB a day and other foods like corn, snap peas, etc. and they eat it right up. Well the boy more then the girl. But I'm not sure I'm giving them enough. I have the list of food that are ok, but I'm not sure the quantities I should be giving.
    Dr. Dolittle by day, Registered Nurse by night

Default Re: Feeding help

Quote Originally Posted by Kameroosky View Post
    My two squirrels are about 13 weeks and are getting formula 2-3 times a day with no indication of them weaning anytime soon. Should I be feeding them less? Also, I put in 4-6 HHB a day and other foods like corn, snap peas, etc. and they eat it right up. Well the boy more then the girl. But I'm not sure I'm giving them enough. I have the list of food that are ok, but I'm not sure the quantities I should be giving.
    We recommend letting them have their formula as long as they will take it. Are you feeding them w/ syringe still or in a dish?
    At 13 weeks I would think 2x a day would be sufficient as long as they are eating their block. I would also recommend feeding them from group 1 & 2 of the healthy diet. Anything from group 3 (such as corn) should be limited for reasons stated on the chart. As far as amounts, as long as they are eating their block at least 2 per squirrel and there is no waste on veggies, you are in the ball park. If they are wasting veggies, cut back on them. Just make sure the block is being eaten because when they do wean themselves block is their life line.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/a...0&d=1390871511
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-08-2015 at 12:17 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator