Thread: Pooping/peeing in sleeping area

Default Pooping/peeing in sleeping area

My two squirrels are about 13 weeks old and (after weeks of diarrhea) are starting to have solid stools after being treated with flagyl a couple weeks ago. The thing is they still pee and poop all over their bedding. I've removed their nesting box a while ago and replaced it with a little plastic hut because the box smelled so foul from urine soaking into it. I've read that the usually go places other then their bedding, but I have yet to see that. Is this something that happens when their older?
    Dr. Dolittle by day, Registered Nurse by night

Default Re: Pooping/peeing in sleeping area

Poo & pee: Squirrels can be litter trained. Without training they will go where they please but they won't poo or pee in their nest box, hammock or bedding. Squirrels generally just pee in one corner of the bottom part of the cage after being in the cage a couple of weeks. Keep an extra bit of newspaper in that corner and clean it daily. You can then place a ferret corner litter box in there with some soiled pieces newspaper so they get the idea. Clean that box out every time you see it dirty and they will always use it. If that doesn work than I'm not sure what's wrong.

Default Re: Pooping/peeing in sleeping area

Very difficult to litter train any squirrel!
    To remove the pee smell from your nest box, give it a healthy dose of white distilled vinegar in water, when let it air/sun dry. Follow that with a good scrub with bleach water and again let it air/sun dry. The pee smell is one reason many people use the fleece hanging cubes (or pouches, slippers,etc)in their cages. Fleece is so easy to just toss in the washing machine and dryer.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain