Thread: parasite question

seung012 Guest

Default parasite question

Hello everyone, my name is lee.

Recently found a baby squirrel, about 5 weeks old with all her hair. She was extremely dehydrated and now I'm feeding her powder formula from your suggestions and pedialyte.

I spoke to a rehab person in VA and she said a few things that scared the hell out of me....

She says the parasite Baylisascaris is an extremely dangerous parasite and can kill humans. Also mentioned that a shot of ivermectin can help kill the parasites.

Is this something I should be concerned with? I don't even know how you can tell if a squirrel has it. I have a wife and a 6 month old baby girl so I don't want to take any chance. Can you guys please input?

THank you!

Default Re: parasite question

Unless your baby squirrel is actually a baby raccoon, you should be okay.

Baylisascaris is commonly called raccoon roundworm. They are the carrier for the parasite - they are unaffected healthwise by it. It is passed through their feces - specifically once it dries up and is disturbed, the inhaled spores can spread it. You occasionally see adult squirrels with the neurological symptoms because they root around the ground burying nuts and can come in contact with it there.

I suppose you could take this to crazy extremes and postulate that an adult squirrel could accidentally carry spores on their fur into the nest and somehow infect a baby...but you are about a hundred million times more likely to get Baylisascaris working in the garden or mowing the lawn.

It is a HUGE issue if you rehab raccoons, but not squirrels.

Whoa! No, it is not something you have to be concerned about.

Bayliascaris is a roundworm found in raccoons. If you had a baby raccoon, I would say it is a definite concern. Although there is a remote possibility that any mammal that comes in contact with raccoon poop could become infected with this roundworm it is highly unlikely that squirrels have this type of contact.

Raccoons are drawn to food sources. In the area would be raccoon latrines where they do their business. These areas have the potential to be highly contaminated with the roundworm eggs. There is a report of a child that contracted the roundworm by playing in dirt that was contaminated.

Let me assure you that if squirrels carried the parasite most of the people on this board would be dead. With that said, I think it's important to remind you that handling any animal (wild or domestic) should always be done with hygiene in mind. Your baby should not be handling squirrels or dogs/cats IMO. Your baby can get roundworms from your domestic pets if common sense hygiene practices are not followed. One of my pet peeves is to see 'adults' allow a dog to lick a child's face. OMG, that dog just licked his rear end!!! People don't think a thing about it and I am retching with disgust.

I guess the bottom line is, anything is possible but it is highly unlikely. Babies immune systems are not fully developed and they shouldn't be handling squirrels anyway. You should practice precautions by washing your hands after holding a baby squirrel OR a baby kitten.

seung012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Whoa! No, it is not something you have to be concerned about.

Bayliascaris is a roundworm found in raccoons. If you had a baby raccoon, I would say it is a definite concern. Although there is a remote possibility that any mammal that comes in contact with raccoon poop could become infected with this roundworm it is highly unlikely that squirrels have this type of contact.

Raccoons are drawn to food sources. In the area would be raccoon latrines where they do their business. These areas have the potential to be highly contaminated with the roundworm eggs. There is a report of a child that contracted the roundworm by playing in dirt that was contaminated.

Let me assure you that if squirrels carried the parasite most of the people on this board would be dead. With that said, I think it's important to remind you that handling any animal (wild or domestic) should always be done with hygiene in mind. Your baby should not be handling squirrels or dogs/cats IMO. Your baby can get roundworms from your domestic pets if common sense hygiene practices are not followed. One of my pet peeves is to see 'adults' allow a dog to lick a child's face. OMG, that dog just licked his rear end!!! People don't think a thing about it and I am retching with disgust.

I guess the bottom line is, anything is possible but it is highly unlikely. Babies immune systems are not fully developed and they shouldn't be handling squirrels anyway. You should practice precautions by washing your hands after holding a baby squirrel OR a baby kitten.
    Wow, okay great to know. She made it seem like it was definite that the baby squirrel had it and that we are all going to die.

I assume the baby squirrel would show symptoms if that is the case.

Also, do baby squirrels 4 to 7 weeks sleep a lot? this one seems to sleep all the time. definitely figity when we wake it to feed and it loves the formula. Giving about 4-5mls per feeding (formula) and maybe 1-2 mls of ped when finished eating.

Any other suggestions?

seung012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Unless your baby squirrel is actually a baby raccoon, you should be okay.

Baylisascaris is commonly called raccoon roundworm. They are the carrier for the parasite - they are unaffected healthwise by it. It is passed through their feces - specifically once it dries up and is disturbed, the inhaled spores can spread it. You occasionally see adult squirrels with the neurological symptoms because they root around the ground burying nuts and can come in contact with it there.

I suppose you could take this to crazy extremes and postulate that an adult squirrel could accidentally carry spores on their fur into the nest and somehow infect a baby...but you are about a hundred million times more likely to get Baylisascaris working in the garden or mowing the lawn.

It is a HUGE issue if you rehab raccoons, but not squirrels.
    Thank you, huge help to know. I started getting paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by seung012 View Post
    Wow, okay great to know. She made it seem like it was definite that the baby squirrel had it and that we are all going to die.

Also, do baby squirrels 4 to 7 weeks sleep a lot? this one seems to sleep all the time. definitely figity when we wake it to feed and it loves the formula. Giving about 4-5mls per feeding (formula) and maybe 1-2 mls of ped when finished eating.

Any other suggestions?
    No you're not all going to die!

Here is a link for baby squirrel care.
    http://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/ it has 6 pages. The NEXT button is on the top right.

Yes, baby squirrels do sleep a lot. Their eyes open at 5 weeks. I wouldn't continue to give Pedialyte after the first day. If the baby is dehydrated you can give warm water or sweetened water between feeding.

seung012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    No you're not all going to die!

Here is a link for baby squirrel care.
    http://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/ it has 6 pages. The NEXT button is on the top right.

Yes, baby squirrels do sleep a lot. Their eyes open at 5 weeks. I wouldn't continue to give Pedialyte after the first day. If the baby is dehydrated you can give warm water or sweetened water between feeding.
    Okay thank you so much~!~

I assume the baby squirrel would show symptoms if that is the case.

Any other suggestions?
    Yes. They get pedialyte at intake if they are dehydrated. It should not be necessary to feed it when you feed the formula, and in fact they should not be taking formula and pedialtye at the same time or mixed together.

If you feel the baby is still dehydrated for some reason, they can have a bit of sugar water or plain water between feedings but once hydrated they should not need it. They do not drink water in the wild while they are nursing. And at this age, they eat and pee and poop and sleep. Around 7 weeks they become a bit more active, but in the wild, they remain in the nest until about 10 weeks, and there isn't much to do up there!

If you go to www.henryspets.com at the top of the page you will see a drop down for Baby Squirrel Care with multiple headings. This is an EXCELLENT down and dirty primer on baby squirrel care.

Edit: HA! Brilliant minds think alike...

seung012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes. They get pedialyte at intake if they are dehydrated. It should not be necessary to feed it when you feed the formula, and in fact they should not be taking formula and pedialtye at the same time or mixed together.

If you feel the baby is still dehydrated for some reason, they can have a bit of sugar water or plain water between feedings but once hydrated they should not need it. They do not drink water in the wild while they are nursing. And at this age, they eat and pee and poop and sleep. Around 7 weeks they become a bit more active, but in the wild, they remain in the nest until about 10 weeks, and there isn't much to do up there!

If you go to www.henryspets.com at the top of the page you will see a drop down for Baby Squirrel Care with multiple headings. This is an EXCELLENT down and dirty primer on baby squirrel care.

Edit: HA! Brilliant minds think alike...
    Okay thank you!

Ditto
    Raccoons carry it. Not squirrels.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

I agree with what's been said, nothing you need to stress over.

I spoke to a rehab person in VA and she said a few things that scared the hell out of me....
    . She made it seem like it was definite that the baby squirrel had it and that we are all going to die.

Curious.... When you spoke with this person, were they "suggesting" you relinquish the squirrel?

Giving about 4-5mls per feeding (formula) and maybe 1-2 mls of ped when finished eating.
    Any other suggestions?
    If you feel you need to continue with some hydration you should do so in-between formula feedings,
    not following the formula.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 1