Thread: Looking for Rehabber in Tampa, FL

Default Looking for Rehabber in Tampa, FL

I have raised 3 squirrels now. Rocky being my 7 week boy as of today. I found him June 20th. I am looking to meet a rehabber in Tampa so I can chat about becoming one myself.

I have tried to search your posts for one but I can not find one.

Thanks in advance for all the help this board has done for my babies.

Look forward in meeting and becoming a rehabber.

Default Re: Looking for Rehabber in Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by KKATT5 View Post
    I have raised 3 squirrels now. Rocky being my 7 week boy as of today. I found him June 20th. I am looking to meet a rehabber in Tampa so I can chat about becoming one myself.

I have tried to search your posts for one but I can not find one.

Thanks in advance for all the help this board has done for my babies.

Look forward in meeting and becoming a rehabber.
    http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wil...on-facilities/
    Here is a link to the information you need. The regional office for the Tampa area is in Lakeland. That is where you would go to take the test. You can call the number and they will send you a packet of information and a study guide. The test is from the questions in the guide.

(1) Fill out the application.
    (2) Take the test or show proof of 1000 hours of experience.
    (3) Have a vet that will work with you.
    (4) Have your place inspected by a Wildlife Officer.

Everyone that finds a squirrel wants to be licensed (including me) but you will find it's a little more involved than you would think. When I found out the requirements, they is NO WAY that I can be licensed. Your name and phone number would be listed on the Wildlife rehabbers list with the state. You could be called any time night or day about wildlife and you are REQUIRED to take it or refer them to another rehabber. I guess you could say you are full or DON'T answer the phone. I work a job, like a job that 'feeds my face' so there is no way I could make that type of commitment.

Now, if you just want a source to raise a few babies, I believe I can fix you up. I can get you in touch with some peeps that sometimes get a little overwhelmed.

Thanks HRT4SQRLS,
    I went to the website also and stated the same thing...I would have to take all, and would be on call day and night. I don't mind being on feeding call day and night though, I am only interested in squirrels... they are so sweet. Maybe a raccoon here and there if needed. But my heart is with the squirrels.

I would love to help out and become one of the over flows. Please let them know...I have infested in food, cage, and I can sew to make them all the blankies, sleeping houses, and whatever else I see that they may enjoy.

Please let your peeps know I am available.

I believe you can request (specialize) a certain type of animals. I wouldn't do raccoons. That's a whole different set of issues. They are Rabies Vector Species (RVS) so you would have to receive rabies shots. They are expensive. Raccoon also carry a bad roundworm that I wouldn't want to deal with. You should stick with squirrels.