Thread: Turkey Bone?!?

Default Turkey Bone?!?

I read that chicken/turkey bones are ok for squirrels on here somewhere.... I made a turkey for dinner tonight and gave Sammy (my 3 month old Red) the turkey leg bone (only bone) and he went crazy for it!!!!! It is OK right?!! I just want to make sure! And at what point do I remove it from his cage?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Turkey Bone?!?

I would remove it tomorrow, but then you can boil the heck out of it until it's super-clean, let it dry and give it back to him. You just don't want to let any meat left on there get rancid in his cage. Bones are very good for squirrels and they will eat the bones of dead birds in the wild. I will never forget looking up at a branch where my recently released, original 'pet' squirrel was perched. It was a few days after he'd left our loving home for the Big World. He was nonchalantly munching on a big bird leg and I didn't know whether to laugh or barf.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I would remove it tomorrow, but then you can boil the heck out of it until it's super-clean, let it dry and give it back to him. You just don't want to let any meat left on there get rancid in his cage. Bones are very good for squirrels and they will eat the bones of dead birds in the wild. I will never forget looking up at a branch where my recently released, original 'pet' squirrel was perched. It was a few days after he'd left our loving home for the Big World. He was nonchalantly munching on a big bird leg and I didn't know whether to laugh or barf.
    Bahaha

Before I knew it was illegal I used to bring home the sun bleached meatless skulls and stuff that we would find ... And the smaller ones kept getting moved... I blamed my kids first and was assured it was not them. Then I blamed the neighbor kid ( who has been known to steal stuff out of our yard) But then one day I was out gardening .. And a raccoon jaw bone fell out of a tree nearly clocking me in the head.. Above was the butterfinger squirrel.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Hahahaha!!! Good stories guys!! Thanks for reassuring my decision wasn't a bad one! 😁 He LOVES his turkey leg bone! I will take it out today and boil it down.... That's a great idea!!! Thanks!!