Thread: Skinny Miss Odus to possible overweight Miss Odus?

Default Skinny Miss Odus to possible overweight Miss Odus?

Miss Odus is doing great. Appears to be happy happy!! Since birth there has been an issue of her not having the weight on her that was needed. Thank you SB members for all the help you gave in getting her/me on the right path.

Now...when people comes over they remark she is fat. Going to attach a few pics. She gets a handful of lettuce, squash, peas each morning. Midday, it's a HHB and a few pieces of apple. Evenings it's lettuce, carrots, mushrooms and squash. Preparing myself to get ready for release. She acts totally content as is. Sure it will not be long she will be ready to see the rest of the world. She is 4 months now, grey squirrel.

Weighing her is out of the question, she is too active/strong and fear she will get loose before we are ready, and our dog may decide to eat instead of play...too stressful to chance it. She looks healthy and happy to me...just don't want to overfed for I read over feeding can harm as much as under feeding.

Wish I could've had taken better pics...as I said she is active and when I get close to the cage she thinks it is food time and for sure will not be still.
    Name:  20150602_092414.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  302.0 KBName:  20150602_092503.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  315.2 KBName:  20150602_092822.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  326.8 KB
    ReRe

Default Re: Skinny Miss Odus to possible overweight Miss Odus?

If you want to have her lose a few grams, cut back on the carrots and apple: they are pure sugar and don't have a great deal of nutrients, just fibre. See if she'll eat more green leafy things, like chickory or kale or escarole -- unless by "lettuce" you mean any of those things, or what's often packaged as "spring mix". Iceberg lettuce is basically empty calories..

I don't think she looks fat, and when you do release her the more extra meat on her bones the better as she finds her way through her world, foraging. Good job!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Skinny Miss Odus to possible overweight Miss Odus?

Thanks for your response. yes I use the the mix greens. plus she gets alot of different veggies except for the ones listed on TSB as ones to avoid. I don't think she is 'fat', just healthy looking. She has came a long ways.
    ReRe