Thread: Prickly Pear?

Default Prickly Pear?

I have a large prickly pear cactus that is currently blooming. Are either the flowers or the "pears" safe for squirrels to eat.

Default Re: Prickly Pear?

Quote Originally Posted by rottilvr79 View Post
    I have a large prickly pear cactus that is currently blooming. Are either the flowers or the "pears" safe for squirrels to eat.

The fruit is very safe, but I've found that only some like it.

It's my favorite, though, so I'll PM you my address and you just send all the extra ones to me.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

My mother lives in AZ, and prickly pear is everywhere there, both wild and used as a popular landscaping plant. Look at those paddle shaped pieces - the javelinas EAT big chunks out of those - they hit the yards at night and you find the bite chunks out in the AM. They are COMPLETELY covered in long, NASTY spines! I don't know how they do it - I am pretty sure they have needle nose pliers they carry to de-spine them first...

Thanks. I'll try giving them some of the peeled fruits once they ripen. I would be happy to ship some of this off. It keeps growing and my mom goes crazy at the mention of cutting it down. LOL

My squirrels love em. I burn the little tiny thorns off with a lighter, then wash with water before giving them. They have a excellent calcium to phosphorus ratio. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/2039/2

Don't mean to hijack - but what about the cactus pad/leaf itself? Is that safe and nutritious?

In my area the Hispanics eat them all the time and mix them with all kinds of food raw. Eggs, Beans, you name it.,,I Mix them with "Pico de Gallo" (Cilantro,lime, onion,tomatoes and jalapeno ) They are called "Nopales" Looks to me they are excellent source of natural calcium for our babies. here's a link, http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3029/2 I'd say load upon them buggers if your babies like the taste.

Oh! ,,Burn and remove the pointy things before feeding. I forgot,, also in drought the ranchers here burn the stickers off them and feed them to cows in desperate times. I think these are an underrated food source. I've chowed down on them occasionally with scrambled eggs . Very good filler I'd say.

This Link may help as well. http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/nopales.html

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    In my area the Hispanics eat them all the time and mix them with all kinds of food raw. Eggs, Beans, you name it.,,I Mix them with "Pico de Gallo" (Cilantro,lime, onion,tomatoes and jalapeno ) They are called "Nopales" Looks to me they are excellent source of natural calcium for our babies. here's a link, http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3029/2 I'd say load upon them buggers if your babies like the taste.

Sounds wonderful. Only problem is that here in these northern climes, when we CAN get them they are often a dollar or more each . I found a cute Mexican market in my home town where I can get 3-4 for $1, in season.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sounds wonderful. Only problem is that here in these northern climes, when we CAN get them they are often a dollar or more each . I found a cute Mexican market in my home town where I can get 3-4 for $1, in season.
    Outrageous ! Strange. Here they grow like weeds . The growing season is longer here I guess . I can take just a little piece of one and stick it in a pot and it go's! Kinda like Mint plant. "3-4 for $1," Not bad. If you're really in need of Nopales I'll send a BOATLOAD!!

Yeah, here you can't kill them if you try. I never thought about feeding them the actual cactus part. I've seen them sold as food in flea markets and stuff, but never thought about feeding them to my kids. I'll pick some and try.

I tried a piece of the paddle, leaf, whatever they're called with my kids today. When I offered it to them, they each snatched a piece from my hand and ran onto a shelf and started nibbling it. I found some on the floor later, but they seem to like it so far. I'll try the pears when they get ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by rottilvr79 View Post
    I tried a piece of the paddle, leaf, whatever they're called with my kids today. When I offered it to them, they each snatched a piece from my hand and ran onto a shelf and started nibbling it. I found some on the floor later, but they seem to like it so far. I'll try the pears when they get ripe.
    Awesome! I'm going to slice some up into thin slivers and try sun drying them for a couple of days making cactus jerky for my two squirrels, I'm sure they'll like those as well.

Drying it may be even better. They're kind of slimy. Not that the babies seemed to mind.

my boy just loves them!!!! I grow it for my sulcata tortoise. makes me happy to see him eat healthy wild foods...